2013 #XCM Series

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I think the organizers are missing the point. Participation is key.

The prior XCM series ensure great participation by a set of well managed events and a calendar where all participants - elite and age categories could realistically attend.

The emphasis on trying to cram all MTB disciplines into common events is difficult, especially if you cram 6 marathon races into 9 weeks.

I understand that they are trying to encourage a bigger atmosphere for the XCO series. But to cram the XCM series into the same schedule window as the XCO series just doesn't make sense.

Maybe pick a couple of the big ones early in the season, and co locate the XCO / XCM round - but not the whole series.

The success of the prior XCM series generated participation and coverage throughout the year.

Maybe its just me, but imagine an XCM series that culminated with the Australian Championships with the largest XCM race on the calendar 2014 Highland Fling - now that would be something.

I know they are trying, but maybe getting some more input from the most important stakeholder group - the participants - would be a good place to start.
You' e got it. Cycling Australia are elitist s who think the top dozen are what it's all about. Mountain biking is participation with 3 or 4000 coming to the event and racing behind the elites..

These events won't be big enough to survive on entry fees, so sponsorship will be needed, sponsorship only comes with strong media coverage- tv is not about participation it's about dollars.

So when the dollars fall over, see if CA think the place to get money is from license fees......

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I'm now starting to think that they should have kept the original series in much the same fashion as last year and used some of the rounds as National Competition rounds, then added on the QLD/VIC races as additional National Competition rounds. That way, you still get the same number of average punters riding the series, but with the opportunity of contributing to nationals if one chooses to do all the travel

Bah - i'm still pissed off with how this has ended up. Major let down

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
march is cairns wettest months

A round up at Cairns would be fantastic - unfort it clashes with the Otway Odyssey :(
I can't understand why MTBA would want us racing in cairns in Feb/ March which is often the tail end of the wet season and super wet and muddy and super hot.

akashra

Eats Squid
The one I find most interesting is how riders are going to react to an XCM event being held in conjunction with a World Cup. People who are usually riders will be going up there with the intent on spectating a world-class event, but then have to choose between participating in an XCM event or spectating the World Cup (DH) event in which they're not competing because they're essentially on at the same time/day. Just because it's not XC doesn't mean people won't want to watch an event of that kind of level.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
A round up at Cairns would be fantastic - unfort it clashes with the Otway Odyssey :(
I meant either XCO round 3 / XCM round 1; 21st-23rd February 2014 or the Nationals on 6th-9th March 2014.

Interesting comments at the 2014 MTB Season site:

Round 3
XCO, XCE, DHI &
Real Insurance XCM Series Race 1 21st-23rd February 2014
Venue announcement coming soon
(so good we need a separate announcement)
Australian Mountain Bike Mountain Bike National Championships &
Real Insurance XCM Series Race 2 6th-9th March 2014
Venue announcement coming soon
(XCM racing like you've never seen it)

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have never been MTBA's biggest fan but the combination with CA I think was a good move. I also don't have a problem with what MTBA have done here. I believe that there are some structural issues with Mountain biking as a sport with the biggest problem being that there doesn't appear to be strong state level organisation throughout Australia.

However with this series I think that they are starting to get on track. As people have mentioned this series is for the elite and not the punter but I don't see this as a problem. The only reason the previous XCM series was viable for the punter was because the majority of the events were all within a 400 k radius of Sydney and was basically tying together already established events. Even then I would be interested to see how many punters were able to compete in all events. I myself was only ever able to do two events per season.

I think with this series what we will start to see is a situation where the elite MTB circus will come to town we can go and watch these athletes compete in the different disciplines and the punters will get to have a chance to compete in the same race as the elites during the marathon. I think this is pretty good not many sports allow for this mix. The circus will then move on you can follow it if you have the time and or the funds or like most you will get your racing fix by doing some privately run marathons in your local area or an enduro or some XCO with your local club. Perhaps in time the privately run marathons will band themselves together to create a state circuit similar to the original XCM series with the National round acting as the State Champs?

I think this move gives the sport a greater chance of achieving a similar structure to traditional sports {local state national} and with it a greater chance of sponsorship television coverage etc.
It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Perhaps in time the privately run marathons will band themselves together to create a state circuit similar to the original XCM series
I think they should just do this now - all of the main races that were left off (fling, husky, kowalski.. whoever else isn't included) could just replicate the original series, call it something else, and probably have more success than the CA version. I tried new races (husky in particular) for the first time because it was in the series - that pull is something that i think is significant

bt100

Likes Dirt
I did all the races last year as they were part of the series. It's a shame because I was going to aim to do them all this year as well but that changed when they canned the series.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Has anyone heard anything else about the races? The Dwellingup video shown on SBS Cycling Central included a statement from the race director that it would be the first race in the series for the 2013/14 XCM series - I'm not sure whether that means the races at the start of 2013, or start of 2014 with the season being split over the two years - not sure how the Cycling Australia series work..

Smitsone

Likes Bikes
Has anyone heard anything else about the races? The Dwellingup video shown on SBS Cycling Central included a statement from the race director that it would be the first race in the series for the 2013/14 XCM series - I'm not sure whether that means the races at the start of 2013, or start of 2014 with the season being split over the two years - not sure how the Cycling Australia series work..
Not sure even CA know how this series will pan out !

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Well... Yes.
Sorry, what I meant was that they're not just waiting for a particular date for the announcement - maybe to coincide with another announcement - it is actually a case of sorting the details still

It's been a long week, and I've been off the bike injured for almost three months hence the lack of sense :(