2014 Mountain bike world cup season

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Can see a bunch of new restrictions and stuff in regards to the management of the course and crowd after this, especially if he's seriously hurt.
No need for any new restrictions, he shouldn't have been allowed to do it now. More training for course marshals maybe.

heavyp

You heard it here first
The bikes aren't ready. That's why they weren't there. The top three were all on no compromise DH bikes.

It's an amazing coincidence that everyone in this thread who doesn't rate the track, has never ridden it.
Shame that we didnt see the Demo thou and there trying to sell new ones, I'd be seeing what they have in the PL prob a refined version on this prototype-specialized-demo-dh.jpg

Also if what Blinki said is true it seems funny that Lapierre were doing all that data testing and working with new rockers compared to the bike they normally ride.

Fair call about the track I bet I'd prob shit my pants but if the best riders in the world are having a moan maybe the UCI should listen up and give the riders in what tracks they get to ride each season, over all the rider Elite, Women's, and Juniors it would be very fair I bet PMB and Cairns would disappear.

Ps: from what I saw the course was a bit dated GJ is a legend when it comes to track building but maybe he should move with the times, Peaty said the track has not changed since 1996 even Kathy the Syndicate manger said the same.

indica

Serial flasher
but if the best riders in the world are having a moan
Who was havng a moan? I didn't see that.
And the track has changed, the original was 5 to 6 minutes.

Don't bag Glen - he did not design this one, Rhys did. They did the best with the hill they could.
Perhaps it would have been better running down the current club track?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Excellent little clip, that one.

Looking forward to seeing some footage from the switch backs up the top and some of the gopro footage taken by the riders as well.

I'd hunt some down myself but I'm supposed to be writing this fucking paper......

indica

Serial flasher
[video=youtube;nHqdHa6DBPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqdHa6DBPI[/video]

Gives an idea of the crowd and the speed at the end.
Fuck that bit was steep.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Yeah, his head was flapping about pretty badly just before he came to a halt. Hope he's not permanently banged up.

Can see a bunch of new restrictions and stuff in regards to the management of the course and crowd after this, especially if he's seriously hurt.
I can't see much changing though apart from maybe ensuring all tracks have proper access (even just a walking track that shadows the race track) for spectators and emergency crews. Out of interest, what was the access like anyway?

Last update I heard was 2 broken vertebrae and a dislocated shoulder

I really hope its just the vertebrae and not his spinal cord!

Ivan

Eats Squid
I really hope its just the vertebrae and not his spinal cord!
More info here on Steve Peats Instagram account.

http://instagram.com/p/nR-g_FmZd8/

Steve Peat @Stevepeat said:
Ok everyone, this is Ben Bunny McGowan, he is the reason I got a 2nd run yesterday and I just chatted with him about his injuries. He has 2 broken vertebrae and a dislocated shoulder, (in his words"all fixable") he was doing @adbrayton a favour by taking his bike to the bottom, he didn't steal it!!!! The rumours are now cleared up and I want to say heal fast Ben, no probs about my re run!! I needed it. Cheers

USJ

Likes Dirt
I was right there when Brayton came off. He got a bit off on the double before the triple which slowed him down just enough. He still tried for the triple anyway. In mid air he goes "oh fu(%!". He knew what was coming. He cased just before the downramp and it bounced him up, then he landed too far down to make the corner. He had just enough time to lay it down before he slammed into the tree. With how fast he was going and how hard he hit, he is lucky that's all that happened. And I am shocked no spectators got hit cuz there were about a dozen people right there.

Great weekend. I can't wait to get a chance to ride the track now that I have watched the pros do every part of it. It will be a bit sad thinking about my riding in comparison.

USJ

Likes Dirt
after watching the official coverage, that looks like the most boring world cup in a while. but honestly they didn't show really any of the good, exciting, high speed sections of the track. even the rock garden could have been shot better to give some depth perspective. it looked like nothing on camera. very poorly shot.

its a track you have to see and ride for yourself. its incredibly diverse.

but the bottom xc runout sprint is BS.

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
after watching the official coverage, that looks like the most boring world cup in a while. but honestly they didn't show really any of the good, exciting, high speed sections of the track. even the rock garden could have been shot better to give some depth perspective. it looked like nothing on camera. very poorly shot.

its a track you have to see and ride for yourself. its incredibly diverse.

but the bottom xc runout sprint is BS.
Agree......

That bottom sprint may have suited bikes 18 years back, but not the DH bikes today.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've spoken to tons of people about the incident with the random crashing that put the course on hold for ages. The general consensus is that he's a poor guy who had succumb to peer pressure and he was actually a good guy just helping out! Well, I beg to differ and I'd say he does too as hindsight is a wonderful thing. It is quite possibly the stupiest thing you could do at a bike race aside from throwing a steel peg in someone's front well. Seriously people, why would you have any sympathy for it? From a club director and race organiser's point of view, that was wild and could instantly shut a club down.
I hope like fuck he never spectates at a race again. What an idiot.

heavyp

You heard it here first
I was right there when Brayton came off. He got a bit off on the double before the triple which slowed him down just enough. He still tried for the triple anyway. In mid air he goes "oh fu(%!". He knew what was coming. He cased just before the downramp and it bounced him up, then he landed too far down to make the corner. He had just enough time to lay it down before he slammed into the tree. With how fast he was going and how hard he hit, he is lucky that's all that happened. And I am shocked no spectators got hit cuz there were about a dozen people right there.

Great weekend. I can't wait to get a chance to ride the track now that I have watched the pros do every part of it. It will be a bit sad thinking about my riding in comparison.
You can see Brayton's crash here
p4pb10877288.jpg
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/finals-cairns-dh-world-cup-2-2014.html

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
The bottom XC slogout was so boring.

Could they add in a few jumps to that section? would the riders still be coming in with a good pace to clear them?

I also think it's kind of funny that some people are slagging the track for not been WC worthy, Cairns was a lot more WC worthy than PMB, at least it technical sections that were catching out even some of the worlds best riders and was more interesting to watch over PMB excluding the XC slog out pedal towards the end.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I've spoken to tons of people about the incident with the random crashing that put the course on hold for ages. The general consensus is that he's a poor guy who had succumb to peer pressure and he was actually a good guy just helping out! Well, I beg to differ and I'd say he does too as hindsight is a wonderful thing. It is quite possibly the stupiest thing you could do at a bike race aside from throwing a steel peg in someone's front well. Seriously people, why would you have any sympathy for it? From a club director and race organiser's point of view, that was wild and could instantly shut a club down.
I hope like fuck he never spectates at a race again. What an idiot.
I think the general consensus is it was a dumb thing to do, but there were people saying he got what he deserved. I don't think I would wish spinal damage on anyone. Also he was accused of stealing the bike so its good that's being cleared up. Being an idiot and being a theif are 2 different things.

Heal up and use your brain next time.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Agree......

That bottom sprint may have suited bikes 18 years back, but not the DH bikes today.
Lol!

You've obviously never ridden a DH bike from 1996!

I clearly remember how shit they were at pedalling.

I would guess the long finish straight is a result of two things, the dense rainforest at the bottom if the hill and the UCI requiring that the DHi and XCo have the same finish line.

Last edited: