2015 Team Rumours/Changes

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I want Wyn Masters to be *picked up and win one race, the party that night would be large.

*buckleys chance

heavyp

You heard it here first
I hope Hill doesn't go to Intense, Intense are a cult brand but there days have been if you asking me in the racing world and bringing Palmer back is in my eyes scraping the barrel .

He had his day and he changed the sport and I have so much respect for him doing that and he's all every young racer back in the late 90's wanted to be like, that clip they released showed he is as stiff as a board on a bike and the skids just to throw some dirt in the air did not impress me I actual thought it was quite embarrassing. I can't see him bringing anything to a team or younger riders as all he did was drink party and spit the dummy quite a lot.

Hill does not need that in his life right now he's so close to being back on top, a change of team and bike is not really what he would want surely, CRC will/should be able to match any wage anyone else offers Hill.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I hope Hill doesn't go to Intense, Intense are a cult brand but there days have been if you asking me in the racing world and bringing Palmer back is in my eyes scraping the barrel .

He had his day and he changed the sport and I have so much respect for him doing that and he's all every young racer back in the late 90's wanted to be like, that clip they released showed he is as stiff as a board on a bike and the skids just to throw some dirt in the air did not impress me I actual thought it was quite embarrassing. I can't see him bringing anything to a team or younger riders as all he did was drink party and spit the dummy quite a lot.

Hill does not need that in his life right now he's so close to being back on top, a change of team and bike is not really what he would want surely, CRC will/should be able to match any wage anyone else offers Hill.
nailed it.
Hill seems really happy, I don't see him as a money rider, unless its a ridiculous amount, he is a true racer.
I think I voiced my concerns about palmer in another thread Ill quote myself below in regards to his new position.

My biggest question is and I mean this in the best way possible "Is palmer really the guy you want to mentor riders"

He changed history in riding and he won so much in his time across a range of sports, he is a true legend but there was so much natural talent in him, I don't see palmer as a guy with extensive mentoring in training, dieting and maybe getting his head around the mental aspect of other riders, He clearly can teach people how to be mentally ready for a race but what happens when a rider rocks up without that laid back attitude, does he have the ability to help a rider who is different to him, who finds their head space through a different path than palmer did in his time.

He has been out of the loop and out of the game for so long I question if he is up to date enough to mentor some of these guys or offer feedback in today's riding. He also left the sport when the money when south and he felt like he was promoting brands more than they were promoting him. This is a bit backwards to what we teach riders, sponsors are there but you are there to equally promote them, you work for them and they pay you.

I like Palmer his a awesome character but in terms of athlete development am I the only one who has questions?

I really hope he does make a big impact on developing riders and answers all my questions with "yes he can". I think he no doubt has something special that we haven't really seen before, an athlete that can cross that many disciplines and do that well is rare, This I have no doubts about, but its the other aspects where my questions lie.
Edit
Dozer you brought up something I think I should mention. I like palmer but the past guy, I enjoy what he represents which is an era in the sport and his still a bit loose and wild. I 100% agree we don't need that attitude back in the game and enter my concerns above..

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Palmer is a marketing gimmick and is probably owed a favor by someone at Intense. He was a rad rider in his time but he's a fucking douchebag that I wouldn't want anywhere near me. The image he has portrayed over the years is pretty sad and I believe most of it is part of his act to play like Mr Cool. I hope he doesn't have much of an influence on the scene, his kind aren't entertaining nowadays................unless you like madcore moto crap I guess.

cjaty

Likes Dirt
I hope Sam stays where he is it seems to be working well for him, having said that could be other things in play at the team to make him think of a change, that is of course he's got anything to do with the rumours

Given that Hill has had his best season for a while, he would be a lock to stay. Surely? He's got branded stuff through CRC and he seems pretty settled. Results are coming and the bike looks the goods, with him on it, of course. Injury free he will be a serious threat next year. And I can't wait.
Pagey appears to be a pretty good manager there too. Would it be too much to have to start all over again on a new bike?

driftking

Wheel size expert
What sort of $$$ do these top guys earn roughly? Bonus for winning etc?
I'd think even top guys like hill are lucky to be getting 100k these days as a base.. A win for a race ussually gets them a few thousand from the race. It's not the sport for money, sponsor bonuses who knows.....

Given a top 70golfer can bank 17k for coming last in the big tournements.

It's not much different than having a 9-5job in terms of pay. I believe Sam even said at one point had a off season job.....?

Forget the guys who are not even top of the crop. Most guys in the circuit make no money, they pay thier way with help from sponsors but they don't get a profit at the end.

There was a interview with mick actually a while ago he said
"I’m not sure exactly the range, but racers in the top 10 in the world make about from 50,000 usd up to 300,000 per year including prize money and bonuses depending on image and rankings."

Link
http://http://www.jobshadow.com/interview-with-a-professional-mountain-bike-racer/

I'd expect only about 5 riders would be on over 100k with maybe one or two reaching over 200k after bonuses and incentives. Base salary I'd think only a couple could command around the 100k mark.

M2c

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
There was a interview with mick actually a while ago he said
"I’m not sure exactly the range, but racers in the top 10 in the world make about from 50,000 usd up to 300,000 per year including prize money and bonuses depending on image and rankings."

M2c
Do you think then, given the fall out from the champs and the seemingly general consensus on his popularity and image, Gee would have to pay GT to keep him on the team? :boink:

zids

Likes Dirt
haha yes half of atherton racing needs to pay to be on the team and win the world champs

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It would definitely be interesting to see what the riders profiles are like throughout Europe and America.
Surely the top 10 guys get a very decent sum of money for their 7-8 races for the year.

NoFilter

Likes Dirt
Do you think then, given the fall out from the champs and the seemingly general consensus on his popularity and image, Gee would have to pay GT to keep him on the team? :boink:
Hehe nice. You might be on to something here Dunndog. Surely there are other douchebags in the sport in the same position?

driftking

Wheel size expert
I think im one of the few who really like gee. not sure why everyone hates him.

Sam was said to have no personality a few years ago but we loved him because his aussie and rides like a boss. gee is a top rider no one can deny that.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I don't debate Gee is a top rider, but I guess in anything where there are heroes, there must also be villains.. for some reason Gee seems to top the villain list. gotta admit his winning run took a back seat to atleast 4 other runs straight off the bat, and I was praying like hell for him to not go fastest, and then to get beaten. even the media around it plays more heavily on a few other goings on than Gee's win. All that said, I'm sure Gee gives zero fucks what a slow old toad like me thinks haha! And rightfully so. Good on him.

The wanker.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I don't debate Gee is a top rider, but I guess in anything where there are heroes, there must also be villains.. for some reason Gee seems to top the villain list. gotta admit his winning run took a back seat to atleast 4 other runs straight off the bat, and I was praying like hell for him to not go fastest, and then to get beaten. even the media around it plays more heavily on a few other goings on than Gee's win. All that said, I'm sure Gee gives zero fucks what a slow old toad like me thinks haha! And rightfully so. Good on him.

The wanker.
My point was not to debate gees ability, my point was like sam gee is a top rider and that is a fact, sam also was said to have no personality, the only difference been gee is not Aussie.
No doubt there were other runs that day that were amazing but part of riding is staying on the bike and to finish first you need to first finish. We can say hill would have, rat boy would have, but just as important as going fast is staying on the bike and avoiding mistakes is part of the game. Gee made mistakes too in his run but he didn't crash and fortunately for him took the win.

Sam and rat boy were on fire and faster but at no fault of anyone's, but their own, they crashed, gee rightful won that race.
That does not take away from the runs of rat and sam. Like most good runs they still go down as better, sams 3rd at champery and his 7second crash at val di sol. But the rider who deserved to win is the one that held it together and got down fastest regardless how they did that.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
I don't debate anything you said there either. It's all true. But it sits beside what I said, respect to Gee for winning, and he is a great rider. he is also fairly unliked, for whatever reason, nothing to do with his nationality. It's just interesting, an observation, that's all.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Gee is alright maybe its his monotoned voice that people get annoyed at no doubting he's a one of the guys who can win any race on the world cup circuit.

Its Rachael thats annoying annoying, there a package and that will always be the case I just feel sorry for Slugger he seemed to be doing alright until he got pushed back into the shadows of the Athertons hopefully he leaves and gets a ride somewhere else as unlike some other riders he's actually won a world cup race Val Di Sole 2010 on that awful GT Fury carbon piece of crap

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Far out. You can brand your distaste with Gee with whatever you like, it doesn't make it any less pathetic.
You sound like a bitchy little school kid who didn't get their way. Grow up.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Gee is alright maybe its his monotoned voice that people get annoyed at no doubting he's a one of the guys who can win any race on the world cup circuit.

Its Rachael thats annoying annoying, there a package and that will always be the case I just feel sorry for Slugger he seemed to be doing alright until he got pushed back into the shadows of the Athertons hopefully he leaves and gets a ride somewhere else as unlike some other riders he's actually won a world cup race Val Di Sole 2010 on that awful GT Fury carbon piece of crap
The big issue with signing him is I think his 31 this year and not a big marketing personality, his quiet too and overshadowed by other riders. Brilliant rider but from a sponsor point of view you want a rider who is up and coming for the future or projects a big image to display their brand, Marc goes under the radar and at his age you wonder if his result will improve. Before teaming with the athertons he was creating a better image 100% agree, results wise nothing much has changed.

If you look at his past results he is always 20th-10th, many tail end finishes and many closer to the top 10 with only a few results cracking the top ten and a couple podiums.
https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider755/marc-beaumont/results/

His a consistent rider and a good guy to have but his public image is lacking to see him pick up a big ride in my opinion. I think he would be a brilliant rider to throw up as the number 1 rider with a few younger development riders under him, id like to see him in a team with a good bike but a bit more chilled, sort of like madison saracen was last year.

Last edited: