2017 Giant Trance

Ant1969

Likes Bikes
Righto ive been looking at a new bike and was pretty certain id be buying a anthem 2 or a 29er. Well now the fella at Hadleys in Newy has said i suit a Trance and i was wondering if anyone on here uses a trance to ride just general trails which is what i do like awaba mtb, holmesville, glenrock and general riding around my local area of Cessnock thanks for all ur help lol so confused

madstace

Likes Dirt
Hey Ant,

As a local I can offer a few insights. First off, it's hard to ignore what you're told at any shop, but unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of science behind the big Hs bike suggestions at times (at least for MTB). I think in part they simply go off what's in stock for a given size. Stick to what you know in as far as what type of riding you want to do. Don't forget that it's always an idea to get second opinions, there's definitely some good shops around here.

Having said that, the new Trance would be a great all-round bike. Probably a bit too much bike for Awaba, but perfect for Glenrock. Not sure what the riding is like out at Holmesville, unless you mean Killi, in which case a Trance would work well out there too.

Ant1969

Likes Bikes
Hey Ant,

As a local I can offer a few insights. First off, it's hard to ignore what you're told at any shop, but unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of science behind the big Hs bike suggestions at times (at least for MTB). I think in part they simply go off what's in stock for a given size. Stick to what you know in as far as what type of riding you want to do. Don't forget that it's always an idea to get second opinions, there's definitely some good shops around here.

Having said that, the new Trance would be a great all-round bike. Probably a bit too much bike for Awaba, but perfect for Glenrock. Not sure what the riding is like out at Holmesville, unless you mean Killi, in which case a Trance would work well out there too.
Cheers and yeh killi homlesville same spot to me

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Just to perhaps confuse you even more, but possibly fit the middle ground you're aiming for, Giant Aus have just decided to do a limited release of a couple of Anthem SX models, which we didn't get as part of the general release for this year's range (although we got the last couple of years', and the current one has always been available to overseas markets). The main difference over the regular Anthem is a slightly longer-travel fork, which gives it a bit more trail capability without sacrificing too much XC-ness. Might be worth a look.

Ant1969

Likes Bikes
Just to perhaps confuse you even more, but possibly fit the middle ground you're aiming for, Giant Aus have just decided to do a limited release of a couple of Anthem SX models, which we didn't get as part of the general release for this year's range (although we got the last couple of years', and the current one has always been available to overseas markets). The main difference over the regular Anthem is a slightly longer-travel fork, which gives it a bit more trail capability without sacrificing too much XC-ness. Might be worth a look.
Cheers mate have seen them but a grand plus over my funds available lol

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
With all the stories of cracked (carbon) Anthem frames I've read here and elsewhere lately, I'd be reluctant to buy one.

If you're not looking at pure XC riding, the Trance would be fine, and more versatile if you end up riding elsewhere.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
With all the stories of cracked (carbon) Anthem frames I've read here and elsewhere lately, I'd be reluctant to buy one.

If you're not looking at pure XC riding, the Trance would be fine, and more versatile if you end up riding elsewhere.
This^^^^^^^

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks nice, but is there anything different to the top line anthems apart from 10mm more travel? That's only a new air spring assembly for $80 locally.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I can only offer my two cents worth....
I've been riding a Trance for a couple of years down here in Tas.

My bike has 140mm of travel & a few upgrades to make it more burly & less XC.

If I was looking for a bike tomorrow, I'd prolly be going back a notch towards the Anthem / Trek Fuel kinda category....and that's not because I like XC style riding, I like descending!
(the Trance does offer incredible value at each price point)

Why? Well, I don't find the Trance is the best climber - the front wheel tends to wander and lift unless you get right up on the pedals & put your noggin right over the bars.
It does feel kinda slow/bobby/clumsy on the flat sections.
On the flowy, undulating stuff, the Trance has no advantage over an Anthem.
On the fast descents the Trance absolutely rips (it really gets better the faster you push it)....but a good rider on a 120-130mm Anthem / Fuel style bike can still stay with the Trance unless the guy on the Trance has big skills / balls.

Just my opinions....I'm sure others will disagree !

Ant1969

Likes Bikes
I can only offer my two cents worth....
I've been riding a Trance for a couple of years down here in Tas.

My bike has 140mm of travel & a few upgrades to make it more burly & less XC.

If I was looking for a bike tomorrow, I'd prolly be going back a notch towards the Anthem / Trek Fuel kinda category....and that's not because I like XC style riding, I like descending!
(the Trance does offer incredible value at each price point)

Why? Well, I don't find the Trance is the best climber - the front wheel tends to wander and lift unless you get right up on the pedals & put your noggin right over the bars.
It does feel kinda slow/bobby/clumsy on the flat sections.
On the flowy, undulating stuff, the Trance has no advantage over an Anthem.
On the fast descents the Trance absolutely rips (it really gets better the faster you push it)....but a good rider on a 120-130mm Anthem / Fuel style bike can still stay with the Trance unless the guy on the Trance has big skills / balls.

Just my opinions....I'm sure others will disagree !
Cheers mate awesome opinion keep it up

Ant1969

Likes Bikes
Hey Ant,

What do you mean by to much bike for awaba. This is going to be my 1st dually and im looking at trance 2 and anthem 2 and the optic 7.2 and 9.2 and i got no idea everyones says something different

golden path

Banned
"Too much bike" implies the bike has longer travel, more beef / weight and more downhill suited geometry and setup than is required, which may cause inefficiency or compromises in smoother terrain, climbing, etc.

Within reason, I'm skeptical of the term, especially when referring to modern 140-150mm bikes designed to, umm, be ridden on trails.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Looks nice, but is there anything different to the top line anthems apart from 10mm more travel? That's only a new air spring assembly for $80 locally.
Different rear shocks as well (rear travel is the same as standard Anthem, only the fork gets longer), possibly larger front brake rotor

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been riding various Trances since 2011, and earlier reign iterations, but moved to an Anthem this year and couldn't be happier. The anthem does get a bit more out of sorts in sustained let it go rougher stuff, but elsewhere in the majority of my riding it's been more composed, tighter, and easier to ride fast. I'm under no illusions a better engine and computer makes any bike faster, but for me, the anthem has been faster as is. As a first duallie, I don't think you are going to go wrong with either A2 vs T2, that's not a cop out, I just don't see either letting you down. Maybe think about which one you might have more fun on, your riding style and how much of a change in bike you are expecting or willing to accept compared to current ride. Course, a test ride on bike options would be ideal to see how it really feels vs. guessing on the interwebs.

Different rear shocks as well (rear travel is the same as standard Anthem, only the fork gets longer), possibly larger front brake rotor
Cheers

madstace

Likes Dirt
What do you mean by to much bike for awaba. This is going to be my 1st dually and im looking at trance 2 and anthem 2 and the optic 7.2 and 9.2 and i got no idea everyones says something different
That's fair enough, you can definitely end up with analysis paralysis in this game, everyone will have a different take on things.

By too much bike, particularly with Awaba, I mean a bike with 140mm travel, which could be considered both "trail" and all-mountain these days. Awaba is pretty tame when it comes to technical features, and TBH is probably best enjoyed by a more XC/race oriented bike, like a Trance, or even a hardtail. Generally a bike with more travel will be more of a chore to climb with, but better for descending. If the amount of descending earned doesn't meet or exceed the climbing to get there, this is typically where you can suffer "too much bike" syndrome.

More technical trails like Glenrock or Ourimbah make better use of bikes with more travel. Sure you can still ride both on hardtails even, but they're more fun with modern trail or AM bikes.

Again, pay attention to the type of riding you want to do, especially if it will be your only bike, as you'll want it to suit your most common riding style/areas. Based on others' feedback, I'd avoid the Anthem. If I was shopping around ATM for a bike that covers a lot of bases, I'd be pretty happy with the new Trance. They might be a bit boring, but Giants are hard to beat for value for money.

slowandold

Likes Dirt
Hey mate. Just saw your other thread on the Norco Optic. At 130kg I don't think you can be overbiked!
The Optic is at the xc end of the "xc-trail-all mountain" spectrum. You're going to need a bike that can stand up to some abuse, given that no matter what, you're never likely to be a 65kg xc race whippet. If I was you, I'd be looking at something like the Trance, Norco Sight(new 29er looks brilliant), Trek Remedy or Fuel Ex or Spec Stumpy 29. Definitely preferable to have a bike that is overkill for where you're riding than the other way around.

Ant1969

Likes Bikes
Hey mate. Just saw your other thread on the Norco Optic. At 130kg I don't think you can be overbiked!
The Optic is at the xc end of the "xc-trail-all mountain" spectrum. You're going to need a bike that can stand up to some abuse, given that no matter what, you're never likely to be a 65kg xc race whippet. If I was you, I'd be looking at something like the Trance, Norco Sight(new 29er looks brilliant), Trek Remedy or Fuel Ex or Spec Stumpy 29. Definitely preferable to have a bike that is overkill for where you're riding than the other way around.
Cheers for that mate

slowandold

Likes Dirt
Cheers for that mate
Further to that. I've ridden most of those trails mentioned and none of those bikes are overkill. They're just trail bikes. Would happily take something like a Spec Enduro around Glenrock and Awaba.
Good luck which ever way you go. So many capable bikes available, good time to be buying.

Stoneyy

Squid
A few weeks ago I bought A Trance Advanced 1 and I am really enjoying it, I was coming off a Merida Big Ninety Nine which is a 100mm travel 29er XC dualy similar to an Anthem (2013 model)

Just looking at your user name you maybe a similar vintage to me, and I don't see myself ever riding my Merida again as the bigger travel on the Trance is making up for my inability, I had a few young guys in LBS's trying to talk me into something like an Anthem and saying to ride it on the edge of it's ability. I think this sounds great if your a gun rider however I am not, really liking the Trance as it much more user friendly in the tough stuff and I don't think it is any slower on the easy stuff. Apparently the changes in the suspension design of the 2017 Trance is a marked improvement of the previous year, I think that is climbes just as well as my Merida

I don't regret my decision at all going for the extra travel bike

Hope that helps

Last edited:

goobags

Likes Dirt
I rode a Trance for two years mainly at Awaba (about a million laps there) and Ourimbah, then Glenrock, Killi/Holmesville, Whitebridge, Stromlo etc. Ended up selling it as I bought a SS and smash the same trails (plus a few new ones I've found) on it instead and the Trance wasn't getting used.

Currently looking for a dually to replace it and would get an Anthem over a Trance mainly due to the fact I am more of an XC racer and climber than a descender. Plus my SS has gotten me through everything including Thredbo over the last 12 months.

Saying all that the Trance is definitely and all round bike, it climbs, it descends and it's bloody good fun doing either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk