2017 world cup discussion

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Two things; Gwin blisters my eyes, he's that fucking fast. Second, Those dudes who were whinging about the track need to shut the fuck up.

The race winner took the win by well over a second. And, where the fuck were the detractors? I can't even remember their names. They were nowhere near the podium. This is a fast track and if you are fast like Gwin, Loris, et al you will rip it. Funny thing is, even on the tech tracks these dudes are also on the podium. If you want to be a winner you have to be good a all trails, not just the ones you like riding.

I think that whole HT protest was an utter wank.

dunndog

Eats Squid
650B is outdated. 29 is faster in every situation. 29 is the natural evolution of the sport to become faster.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
It's a shame Tracey missed out on another win, but it was good to see Tahnee get one at last. She was working hard for it!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Two things; Gwin blisters my eyes, he's that fucking fast. Second, Those dudes who were whinging about the track need to shut the fuck up.

The race winner took the win by well over a second. And, where the fuck were the detractors? I can't even remember their names. They were nowhere near the podium. This is a fast track and if you are fast like Gwin, Loris, et al you will rip it. Funny thing is, even on the tech tracks these dudes are also on the podium. If you want to be a winner you have to be good a all trails, not just the ones you like riding.
Solid points.

I think that whole HT protest was an utter wank.
It was good for a bit of a laugh, but considering where Atwill ended up, maybe he needs to divert a bit more energy from his mouth to his legs? I imagine any potential new sponsors would be looking at him and deciding that a solid 16th place isn't really worth having to put up with the complaining and carrying on.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought the track made for some good tv viewing.. That's probably why some of the riders are moaning. Those riders probably aren't making much coin either so the fun factor is high on the list for them..
Wonder what Bruni thinks of 29ers now after seeing vergier's run, it looked loose and on the edge the whole run. He might not have been the fastest but his and Jack's runs were very entertaining.
Reckon Gwin would win on any wheelsize with his form.
Danny's bike looks so disproportionate, wonder if he wants to go back to a bike that fits him..

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
What utterly brilliant race coverage by RedBull (for a change).

No interruptions, HQ video & great track coverage.

Was super chuffed with it last night!

moorey

call me Mia
What utterly brilliant race coverage by RedBull (for a change).

No interruptions, HQ video & great track coverage.

Was super chuffed with it last night!
Yeah, best coverage ive seen for a while. On time and no glitches either. So good.

And 27.5 winning...that's next best thing to a 26 or an orange win.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Wasn't a fan of the track, to bike park, and riding a HT down was a pisser and highlighted that quite nicely. Berm up copperhead and throw some random jumps in (because thats what redbull wants) and we now have a WC DH track :/

But on a more serious note: 4 women Jnrs??

To make this worse, when comparing the mens junior times to mens Elite (10 seconds down) and then womens jnr times to womens elite (40 seconds down), the difference is astounding. The womens have no depth of talent - hence the (well deserved) domination of one rider, I've worked with elite level Australian track and field athletes and none of the women besides Rachel actually look like athletes, beacuse they don't need to be... because of the lack of depth of field...

If I was willing to throw the money at it, my 17 yr old neice who doesn't ride, but just has to turn up and compete and make it to the bottom at each race could be top 5 in the world?

Whats the solution?

Require all teams to support 1 female Jnr? - would this be at the expense of another ride? probably.

4 female jnrs at international level is pathetic, even only 15 elite females at this is pretty bad, is there a worse example of this in any other sport?

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Wasn't a fan of the track, to bike park, and riding a HT down was a pisser and highlighted that quite nicely. Berm up copperhead and throw some random jumps in (because thats what redbull wants) and we now have a WC DH track :/

To make this worse, when comparing the mens junior times to mens Elite (10 seconds down) and then womens jnr times to womens elite (40 seconds down), the difference is astounding. The womens have no depth of talent - hence the (well deserved) domination of one rider, I've worked with elite level Australian track and field athletes and none of the women besides Rachel actually look like athletes, beacuse they don't need to be... because of the lack of depth of field...

If I was willing to throw the money at it, my 17 yr old neice who doesn't ride, but just has to turn up and compete and make it to the bottom at each race
I would have to agree with you on lack of depth of talent in the Womens' Elite. The gaps between top 5 places were significantly larger than those in the Mens' Elite, If I recall correctly.

Getting teams to fund a woman junior might be a way to grow more talent for the W's Elite.

xero

Supersports
The womens have no depth of talent - hence the (well deserved) domination of one rider, I've worked with elite level Australian track and field athletes and none of the women besides Rachel actually look like athletes, beacuse they don't need to be... because of the lack of depth of field...

If I was willing to throw the money at it, my 17 yr old neice who doesn't ride, but just has to turn up and compete and make it to the bottom at each race could be top 5 in the world?

Whats the solution?

Require all teams to support 1 female Jnr? - would this be at the expense of another ride? probably.

4 female jnrs at international level is pathetic, even only 15 elite females at this is pretty bad, is there a worse example of this in any other sport?
While i would agree, the issue is how to get more women involved in the sport, I think the comment above about none of the other women "looking like athletes" is rough and somewhat uneducated.
What does an athlete look like?.... pigeon holing how someone "should" look is hardly of any relevance whatsoever.
I know for a fact what Tahnee's training regime consists of, and that she has 100% commitment to the sport of racing bikes.
I think you will find that most of the women racing at this level there are exactly the same. Probably even more a strict training regime than a lot of the men coming up through the ranks.

The issue is getting more women into the sport.... the attitude in "parts" of the comment above is not really not conducive to achieving this.

Last edited:

rednightmare

Likes Dirt

Whats the solution?

Agree re: the track. It's a travesty to think that Schladming is only an hour away...

The point on the number of female junior riders is interesting. I think you'd have to first work out if there were any barriers (financial or otherwise) preventing female junior riders. And if there are barriers, actively work to dismantle them. It seems like you're advocating for a quota type system with teams, which would suggest financial barriers. But I do wonder if DH, being quite dangerous and still a fringe sport, is just not that popular with women to begin with, which is evidenced in the lack of depth of talent at the WC level.

You'd really have to work at the grassroots, local level to increase the number of female riders. But it does beg the question, why work so hard/impose policies on teams to do this? I mean, you'd probably find similarly small number of male competitors in rhythmic gymnastics or something.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
It was a fast track with little to no rocks but still represented a challenge. The fast guys were still fast while the not so fast were where they usually are. Not sure Gwin, Vergier and the rest of the podium had many complaints.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I have absolutely no issues with the track as a spectator. Bloody extremely fast, many tricky sections, you need balls of steel to ride it as fast as the top guys.

Really - others found watching that race uninteresting???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk