2017 world cup discussion

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
[video=youtube;xuWfmUdQ9Qw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWfmUdQ9Qw[/video]

This is kind of what I've been trying to suggest, there needs to be some limit to how far this wheel thing will go. I'm not against bigger wheels in downhill but when the pilots are satisfied that they are going almost too bloody fast already than yeah, it's time to pull it up.

indica

Serial flasher
This is kind of what I've been trying to suggest,
A voice only a mother could love.

But yes. Everyone will ride whatever is fastest and then end up the same with whoever is the best riding winning.
The issue I think is teams that cannot perhaps afford to have a truck full of all the wheel sizes and bikes in case a trail is better suited to whatever. And the privateers. From that point of view something should be standardised.
The big teams have big buckets of money to throw at it. Will this then be won by those with the most money?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Will this then be won by those with the most money?
Hmmm, I don't think it will. There's too many variables with a downhill race but on a course that is a definite one line then yeah, maybe the team thats winning the production race could clean up.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is kind of what I've been trying to suggest, there needs to be some limit to how far this wheel thing will go. I'm not against bigger wheels in downhill but when the pilots are satisfied that they are going almost too bloody fast already than yeah, it's time to pull it up.
Fair point, wonder how the riders will feel after riding 29ers in a few races in regard to safety. The big wheels have a larger contact patch/more grip and that bit of extra rollover might actually save their arse at times.
Danny looked very composed in the footage I saw. If he gets from A to B on a 29er quicker and safer it can't be a bad thing.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Fair point, wonder how the riders will feel after riding 29ers in a few races in regard to safety. The big wheels have a larger contact patch/more grip and that bit of extra rollover might actually save their arse at times.
Danny looked very composed in the footage I saw. If he gets from A to B on a 29er quicker and safer it can't be a bad thing.
I have to agree. The point of a 29er is primarily the extra contact patch of the tyre and the angle that it's hitting stuff at. It may just be a bunch of bullshit moaning from guys not wanting to change the thing that they are already winning on. Minaar has always been a guy at the forefront of trying new shit and he's seen more changes in the sport than most of us. Danny Hart may not want to give any of his current advantage away and wants it to stay the same. Still, it doesn't appear to have slowed him down!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
A voice only a mother could love.
And a face even she couldn't.

But yes. Everyone will ride whatever is fastest and then end up the same with whoever is the best riding winning.
The issue I think is teams that cannot perhaps afford to have a truck full of all the wheel sizes and bikes in case a trail is better suited to whatever. And the privateers. From that point of view something should be standardised.
The big teams have big buckets of money to throw at it. Will this then be won by those with the most money?
Like it's not that way already?

binner

Hath shat hymself
gin wigmore

fuck it ....... at the end of the day its just a race. Are we normal run o the mill kids gunna have 4 different wheel sizes and rigs to ride and dudes to hand us components. Like I said in a "quote" many years ago, racing is over rated.....
I walk away......I'm flummoxed.... I'm winded..... I may of started drinking early this arrive too, so just bare with me.....

binner

Hath shat hymself
more rules

Hmmm, I don't think it will. There's too many variables with a downhill race but on a course that is a definite one line then yeah, maybe the team thats winning the production race could clean up.
29ers only allowed at coffs :behindsofa:

binner

Hath shat hymself
coff it yup

It's probably lucky for you that I'll be in the middle of the Canada when you're in Whistler, I'd piss on you again. :laugh:

I went with the choice of Greg Minaar winning Fort Wiliam last year and I'm going the same pick again this year. He'll be closely followed by Gwin and Hart, all within a second of each other is what my crystal ball is saying.
wee can find you.......ohhh those coffs days. Wee all grow older don't wee *did you see that , see what I did there*

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
29ers only allowed at coffs :behindsofa:
Oh they're allowed, I give them a one minute head start just to even it up 'cause you know, those that have been sold the 29er gimmick think they are faster than everyone else and ninety nine times out of a hundred they get their arses handed back to them when they eventually catch up. :thumb:
Times are changing and you'd be oblivious to not embrace it to a point but folks who've been around the block and seen the changes will always have their preference to certain parts. We can't all stay on the same thing forever and progress is great but some of our older collections of bikes requiring certain parts is becoming pretty tricky. Luckily the dirt jump scene keeps the wheel size discussion totally grounded but damn, some mainstream companies need to get back to the days of releasing bulk hardtails (think STP etc).

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So, Fort William is this weekend! It'll be on Red Bull TV at 10pm on Sunday with the women shown first then the Gents at midnight.
What's your thoughts and predictions? It's always a great track to watch and the best of the best tend to come through with a good result. Many have been there practicing in the past few weeks so that's gotta be some sort of advantage.
I reckon Minaar will go great, as will Gwin but I can't see Danny Hart getting beaten this weekend. Hopefully it's the same weather this time around for everyone and we get a level playing field.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er 29er

Will win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
So, Fort William is this weekend! It'll be on Red Bull TV at 10pm on Sunday with the women shown first then the Gents at midnight.
What's your thoughts and predictions? It's always a great track to watch and the best of the best tend to come through with a good result. Many have been there practicing in the past few weeks so that's gotta be some sort of advantage.
I reckon Minaar will go great, as will Gwin but I can't see Danny Hart getting beaten this weekend. Hopefully it's the same weather this time around for everyone and we get a level playing field.
Weather in general doesn't look promising:
weatherwilliam.png

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Weather in general doesn't look promising:
Thats good for us folk watching it under a warm blanket eating pizza. ;)
I hope it is pretty wild but constant weather, get that done now so it isn't crap weather for Cairns.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Sam Hill is racing! Yay!!!!
So, Bruni has made a bit of a dick of himself with this 29er talk. He's said he's all for improving suspension technology, improving the way a bike rides etc but then says he's very anti 29er as it makes the trail easier blah blah blah. The next thing he'd say is he only lost to someone because they are on bigger wheels and it made it easier for them. It's dumb, the whole 29er debate in racing is dumb and to have it coming from people who you'd assume want to win more than anything, it's dumb and makes that person look dumb.

But.

The world was sold a sales pitch years ago that a 29er wheel size is perfect for XC racing as it rolls so much better and will make you win all those uphill battles! Now the world is being pitched the benefit of a bigger wheel in downhill and we all know after conducting our own scientific studies that 29er's are the shittest things to ride up a hill. My take on it? I hope companies keep making frames to suit both sizes so we have a choice because we; the public consumer and non world cup team will buy more of the stuff than the world cup trendsetters. With that, I'm ignoring the 29er debate from now on, it's boring.