2020 Enduro World Series

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those that don't know, it's pretty cut and dry. Richie drank out of Jareds bottle causing him to return a positive reading through no fault of his own. It was a simple mistake and whats happened has happened that's why he only got a short 8 month ban. This is yet to come out but it turns out Jareds case has been settled as well and he can return to riding as soon as he can. It turns out he drank out of Richies bottle causing him to return a positive result through no fault of his own. It's a perfect system.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jared has written a pretty detailed post on pinkbike hopefully it's not too long to post here sorry if it is;

Ok,I'll try and clear a few things up, NO BS, just facts, hope it can help.

The supplemnet in question in this case is BPM labs "the one" which if you want to look it up. Now states Higenamine in the ingredients list, but in older versions, and in the tub in this case was listed as Nandina Domestica (fruit extract) and the oxilofrine component is still labelled as Synephrine HCL. Things get tricky when you type these ingredients into the WADA search and not a single result comes up, which tells you everything is OK. So we had to dive a bit deeper into finding out how these things got in our systems, and when we did, we found of that many ingredients have many different variations, and names, which is what has caught us out.
We also found out since learning the hard way, just how prevalent these ingredients are in off the shelf pre workout drinks, which is a bit scary when you first hand find out the consequences, and how unregulated products with these ingredients are. Even a teenager could walk in to a supplement store and buy this, no questions asked. I've also since learned that 1 in 5 off the shelf pre workout drinks (in Australia at least) have something banned in them.

Everything i've mentioned above had to be proven beyond doubt to the AFLD (french anti doping) theres no corruption, or loopholes, or lawyers spin put on it. Just facts and real consequences.

So i'll put my hand up all day long and say im guilty of negligence. MY mindset was that I'v never sought anything performance enhancing, and Ive never had an issues with the Dozens and Dozens of in and out of competition doping tests ive had, so all will be good. I git a bit too relaxed with the whole process, I never thought there was any chance I could ever be in this situation, yet here we are. A moment of Negligence yes, premeditated cheaters, hell NO!!!!

Maybe ask yourself, would you ever think you need to do extensive study and research, on every ingredient of every thing you ever put in your body?

Combine that with what I said above, and hopefully you get a clearer picture of how this very unfortunate situation has come to be.

Possibly the main reason i'm writing this is the amount of uneducated and downright false comments here. Some of you really should be a bit more careful with your wild assumptions and accusations. There are real people on the other side of this. Its obvious that many just want to be hateful and drag people down, and that's pretty sad. When road cycling and in Particular Lance Armstrongs name gets thrown in the ring, WOW, are you serious??? Consider the things iv'e mentioned, and maybe think again.

People all seem to think theres some kind of Magic pill out there, that will take them from weekend warrior to world class level podium guy. Nobody stops to think that maybe the 25+ hours a week spent training, in the gym, on the bike, not going out with your friends, 5am starts, the constant crahses, injuries and sacrifices, has a bit more to do with it. The work that goes in is simply incomprehendable to most, and it's what makes the difference. Everyone who trains and competes at that level understands that, Which I would say is the main reason no other pros have spoken up about this.

Mistakes were made, and we're both paying the biggest price for that. It's added more stress to my life, on an already extremely stressful time. So maybe take the time to consider both sides of the equation before spreading some uneducated hate, and misinformation.

moorey

call me Mia
well shit @moorey, he neither denied or confirmed who sucked whose bottle.

Guess we’ll never know.
Are you saying it was me? You have no proof!

Personally, I’m happy to take Graves on his word. He’s always been an honest bloke as far as I know. It’s surely a pretty easy mistake to make, with all the changing rules and ingredients.
Hoping to see him back to full speed on the bike soon. Cancer is enough of a bitch to deal with, but sounds like he’s doing well on that front at least.

Ps, did I sell you the middleburn R7’s?

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Martin Maes tested positive to a masking agent - has wins at NZ and Derby stripped and given a 90 ban and will not be free to ride Whistler!!

Damn this just opened up the men's event quite a bit

Reactions: Zaf

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Are you saying it was me? You have no proof!

Personally, I’m happy to take Graves on his word. He’s always been an honest bloke as far as I know. It’s surely a pretty easy mistake to make, with all the changing rules and ingredients.
Hoping to see him back to full speed on the bike soon. Cancer is enough of a bitch to deal with, but sounds like he’s doing well on that front at least.

Ps, did I sell you the middleburn R7’s?
Yes you sold em to me.

My only gripe of all this is the timing of naming JG after the news came out about his noggin, and the way that insta post reads.

“Just grabbed it off a mate, woopsie”

Just say you’ve been cleared and get back amongst it. Fucksake.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Martin Maes tested positive to a masking agent - has wins at NZ and Derby stripped and given a 90 ban and will not be free to ride Whistler!!

Damn this just opened up the men's event quite a bit
Tough call given it was prescribed but all doctors involved should have a list of banned substances, in hard copy if necessary.

Reactions: Zaf

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I was just reading the PinkBike article and associated statements.
You gotta feel for the guy. That is some fucked-up bad luck right there.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I was just saying to Moorey that this really strikes me as WADA following the rules as written, and not the intent of the laws they have implemented. The intent of an anti-doping agency is to police the riders who are seeking to gain an unfair advantage through use of performance enhancing drugs. This treatment has a clear chain of command and logic to it, and even then, the agent is not even a performance enhancer, but a masking agent at best.

This is a very different situation from what Rude and Jared found themselves in, and in my opinion it's a disaster that they cannot take a bit of context into account and are dishing out such a harsh punishment in any case.
Yeah I agree.
And I wonder if his fellow competitors would be sympathetic?
It might be a mitigated/lenient penalty - but it has absolutely deleted his season. And all because of an injury that was neither surprising, nor rare for this kind of sport. WADA/UCI are effectively saying "...we would rather you ran the serious infection gauntlet, than take some antiquated non-enhancing drug that was once used as a masking agent before we identified it years ago..."

cameron_15

Eats Squid
I'm shocked by the absurdity of the Maes situation.

There needs to be a process by which a medical doctor can appeal or explain the rationale for the drug/treatment in hindsight. If they are following internationally recognised practice as is the case here they need to be able to treat accordingly first and remedy any paperwork later.

What would happen if the doctor delayed treatment or altered their management plan to something less optimal and the infection got worse?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's been interesting seeing how this is playing out versus the Graves/Rude case.

People are instantly empathetic to Maes because a doctor was involved (For the record, i agree that this is a pretty bizarre ruling from the UCI)

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
It's a fair question. I'm not sure if it's common practice in other places, so I don't want judge him by standards out here where MRSA is so prevalent. But if Martin had come back after being prophylactic dosed with fluclox and still developed an infection, we'd probably have done a wound swab and then changed agents based on the susceptibility report. Generally only go the probenocid route to assist in dosing intervals, and more commonly see sulfamethoxazol/trimethoprim used for this type of wound instead (I checked, not banned).

That said, Alice Springs is a completely different beast from most other places, so what seem like standard practice out here might not be in other places. And you see that everywhere you go, little quirks of the area and field. He did seem rather committed to making Fluclox work though; raising dose, adding probenocid and then adding ondansetron to combat the side effects...kind of a textbook prescription creep of throwing on additional agents when a change is probably warranted.
i’m unsure if you work in the medical field or are into germ warfare

moorey

call me Mia
It's been interesting seeing how this is playing out versus the Graves/Rude case.

People are instantly empathetic to Maes because a doctor was involved (For the record, i agree that this is a pretty bizarre ruling from the UCI)
I don’t see the cases as remotely similar.