2020 Trans NZ Enduro - Help!!!!

BB1

Likes Dirt
I did the 2016 and 2018 events, both times were the best five days riding I've ever had. First one got me right back into riding. In 2016 I just wanted to see if I could make it to the end and concentrated on bike fitness in the lead up. I did it on a Trance first time and a Primer the second, and got through fine.

My advice would be to concentrate on technical skills, and back to back days in the saddle. There is a fair amount of pushing your bike up the hill at times, not because it's unrideable, but because there are people in front of you or you are chatting to someone from another part of the globe! Try and find some long extended descents, the downs seem to go on forever so being able to ride in the attack position for long periods will help no end.

There are plenty who will walk down the technical parts too, although it's a race the great thing is that it's up to you how much pressure you put on yourself. The organisers and most other riders are supportive and want everyone to make it. There are a couple of wankers as in every event, typically yanks and the sponsored groups (big S I'm looking at you). Everyone else is keen to chat and ride. In 2018 I went by myself and had a great time meeting new people.

Relax, get some bike training in, and use it as an excuse to buy new kit for six days of riding! You'll have a ball.

moorey

call me Mia
BB1, 2016 was the year of Chuck the whining food thief Yank. First night at Castle Hill Station. You didn’t fall victim?
Good advice above. You sound very similar to my first one. The long descents were more a of a struggle when tired than the 2h climbs.

BB1

Likes Dirt
Moorey, I think I was lucky and didn't fall victim. I do remember him now though, wasn't he riding with his wife? Who seemed really nice and I couldn't work out what she was doing with that idiot.

To the OP, In terms of training and what to expect, the first day I reckon is the hardest physically, the others are all shorter with less elevation. And I actually loved the riding at Alexandra. Although they were my worst results, the riding itself was just so different that it was a good challenge.

I wrote some notes to myself after the second one, as I'd like to go back and do it again (or possibly TransBC). These are more in terms of improving performance, but I think it also gives an idea of the riding:

• sustained downhill, followed by sprints. I lost lots of time coasting between corners.
  • practice riding wet roots and weighting the front
  • steep technical. Cheeseman has a section that is steeeeeep, but then throw in log drops and root balls. For about a minute.
  • ride lots of roots. They're everywhere!

Agree with other comments around a small pack. You don't need that much water and food as the refill stations aren't that far apart. But bring a bag that can fit a jacket. When it's snowing and you're waiting to start a stage you'll be thankful!

You'll have a great time. Now I'm thinking about putting a late entry in!

BB1

Likes Dirt
I should also say don't worry about the time sheets and results. Just go to enjoy the riding and overall experience. Just be prepared that you'll want to do it again!

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey, I think I was lucky and didn't fall victim. I do remember him now though, wasn't he riding with his wife? Who seemed really nice and I couldn't work out what she was doing with that idiot.
That’s him. Wife was embarrassed AF.

Reactions: BB1

imago

Likes Bikes
In Queenstown, did the descent from Beeched As link into Salmon Run? That trail looks intense!

The scenery for this looks incredible but the technical side of the trails is the thing that puts me off-just not sure whether it's way outta my league. Is there anything in Oz that is similar as a gauge for difficulty?

moorey

call me Mia
In Queenstown, did the descent from Beeched As link into Salmon Run? That trail looks intense!

The scenery for this looks incredible but the technical side of the trails is the thing that puts me off-just not sure whether it's way outta my league. Is there anything in Oz that is similar as a gauge for difficulty?
No, not salmon run. It links back into the Skyline park for the final stage of the event.
I’m a very average rider, but made it through everything. The 5 days (now 6) are so diverse you just need to be comfortable on all types of terrain and levels of steepness. Main thing is to prepare for some loooong descents. We just don’t get those here.

climberman

Likes Dirt

Mate I am honestly not a great rider, and there were only a few things I didn't ride , mainly due to wet (mud/drops/clay/consequence) but there's no mandatory gaps, and I think only one drop of half a metre in the whole thing. Fucking out there riding but do-able, i just go (much) slower than actual good ricers and heaps lower than pros.

The QT day didn't link to Salmon Run.

totally agree with @BB1 's summary.

slowmick

38-39"
Just figured out that my bike + bag will be over 23 kg. Going overweight adds $180 to the trip.
What bits would you pull off the bike and stuff in your suitcase?
Am thinking tyres, cassette and pedals should get me close to 2.5 kg. Then I guess the next thing would be the shock.
Need to learn to read the fine print.

climberman

Likes Dirt
Helmets can usually be carried on in hand luggage.
Can you pre-purchase extra weight? It's sometimes cheaper.
Riding shoes can weigh heaps too.

teK--

Eats Squid
Just figured out that my bike + bag will be over 23 kg. Going overweight adds $180 to the trip.
What bits would you pull off the bike and stuff in your suitcase?
Am thinking tyres, cassette and pedals should get me close to 2.5 kg. Then I guess the next thing would be the shock.
Need to learn to read the fine print.
How much over? I'd remove parts in this order from least to most hassle: pedals, chain, cassette. all up that should save you around 1.2kg or so. I'd only remove any tyres which aren't set up tubeless, as a last resort. Would not remove shock you won't want the swingarm and pivots flapping around in the bag unsupported.

Careful about putting some of these parts in your carry on they might be strict about anything spiky etc that could possibly be used as a weapon.

moorey

call me Mia
Can you loan a lighter bag of use a core flute box? I had a 15kg bike, with spares, in a cheap CRC bag that was under 23kg. (Both trips)

Goats

Squid
Not sure which airline you flying with but generally you are only allowed 23 kilos for your total luggage so may not matter if you put parts in a checked in suitcase. Risk losing parts if they are in your hand luggage to over zealous security.
Unfortunately it’s just the cost of doing business when you travel with a bike.
Will miss Emirates flying to Auckland as I used them when going to Roto because they had a 30kg allowance.