240V inverter to make coffee??

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
not a good idea
to do any sort of electrical work you need a nice clean constant current draw.
Batteries do not behave in a linear way, rather when you use a battery and draw voltage down from the battery, to do the same amount of electrical work from a lower supply voltage the current will increase, this will either fuck your inverter or draw down the battery very quickly.
running off a gen is probably a better bet, but bear in mind that the microwave will cause issues if the Kva is not sized correctly, the coffee machine is not a issue as it is a purely resistive load, but as the microwave magnetron comes on and off it will cause short loading issues for the gen and possibly stall it

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
+1 aeropress. Great coffee, it’s not a second best solution on taste. I always travel with one, especially in places where it’s hard to get coffee (ie the USA...).

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
+1 aeropress. Great coffee, it’s not a second best solution on taste. I always travel with one, especially in places where it’s hard to get coffee (ie the USA...).
pod or ground coffee?
I have been tossing up for one for work.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
pod or ground coffee?
I have been tossing up for one for work.
Takes ground coffee. Can use disposable or a reusable filter to my knowledge.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Creaky is on the money. Also need to be able to heat food quickly hence the microwave. At a moments notice too. 24hr racers are quite random on what they want to suddenly eat...
Food thermos works too. I tried a small microwave on our Honda 2KW generator = no can do.
Go for the simplest solution IMO you are over complicating a problem solved 50,000 years ago w the invention of fire.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Go for the simplest solution IMO you are over complicating a problem solved 50,000 years ago w the invention of fire.
yeah, but we had already been complicating our lives for a further 50,000 years before the discovery of fire!...old habits die hard

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Creaky is on the money. Also need to be able to heat food quickly hence the microwave. At a moments notice too. 24hr racers are quite random on what they want to suddenly eat...
Food thermos works too. I tried a small microwave on our Honda 2KW generator = no can do.
It's not actually a complicated problem. Well my question wasn't anyway. What was the wattage of the microwave?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
What was the wattage of the microwave?
D man just google microwaves + generators + you find many informed + folksy opinions that the power on the microwave plate isnt the power used when starting to heat due to induction + some crappy generators dont have the right form of power for modern microwaves

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Can we please make sure that we solve @DMan 's problem....

Bars camping next door at WEMBO in November!

You joining us in SA on May 2 2020?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Heaps of Rvs run microwaves but they also run a complex electrical system, it's not something as easy as where you can plug an inverter in and be done with it. If you want something like that, leave it to experienced installers.

DMan

What was the wattage of the microwave?
D man just google microwaves + generators + you find many informed + folksy opinions that the power on the microwave plate isnt the power used when starting to heat due to induction + some crappy generators dont have the right form of power for modern microwaves
That's the problem with googling Rowdy. Too many opinions... A 700w microwave draws about 1000-1400W on start up from what I can research. Same as the coffee machine. So a 2KW inverter should suffice. But 2X 100aH batteries to handle the initial voltage hit. I had a good chat with a fella from Enoggera Battery World and he said that should be fine. But I'm curious because you said your 2KV generator wouldn't run a small microwave. What was the wattage of the microwave?

Can we please make sure that we solve @DMan 's problem....

Bars camping next door at WEMBO in November!

You joining us in SA on May 2 2020?
You're definitely welcome for a midnight coffee at Wembo!! Just saw your post about that. I don't think so as Emma has a 24hr at Hiddenvale in mid April.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
You will just have to trust me on that or try it yourself w a Honda EU20i, borrow or hire one for fun !
The microwave is at my work+I wont be there for a while , even for you, it is small, I wasnt cooking a roast or anything I tried it on a day when the power was gazetted to be off 6hrs, it also didnt like the laser printer when it wanted to heat up /.There are some reliable sources on the internet eg Wikipedia just avoid the folksy American sites, bookface etc where the Dunning Kruger effect occurs .

DMan

You will just have to trust me on that or try it yourself w a Honda EU20i, borrow or hire one for fun !
The microwave is at my work+I wont be there for a while , even for you, it is small, I wasnt cooking a roast or anything I tried it on a day when the power was gazetted to be off 6hrs, it also didnt like the laser printer when it wanted to heat up /.There are some reliable sources on the internet eg Wikipedia just avoid the folksy American sites, bookface etc where the Dunning Kruger effect occurs .
Lol. But I love those sites!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A mate has aircon in his camper. It is a 2.0kW unit. He has a 3kVA genset. The generator will not start the aircon. He has a set of Li batteries that get the aircon running and tgen tge generator runs tge aircon and charges the batteries. Strarting current can be an issue and 2kVA is not 2kW, more like 1.5 or 1.6kW.

DMan

A mate has aircon in his camper. It is a 2.0kW unit. He has a 3kVA genset. The generator will not start the aircon. He has a set of Li batteries that get the aircon running and tgen tge generator runs tge aircon and charges the batteries. Strarting current can be an issue and 2kVA is not 2kW, more like 1.5 or 1.6kW.
Yes. KV× 0.8= kw roughly. They reckon aircons are one of the hardest. Depending on brand, start up can be over double.