26 officially done?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I'm finding the 29er experience pretty positive 18 months in, I'm only short at 167cm and was pretty put off by 29ers thinking they were for just for 6 foot + people.
I'm also pretty short at 170cm but the 29er seems to work for me as well - its just a case of finding a bike (29er or not) that just works for you :)
+1 is around 167cm and she races the 29er at a decent pace :)

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm also pretty short at 170cm but the 29er seems to work for me as well - its just a case of finding a bike (29er or not) that just works for you :)
+1 is around 167cm and she races the 29er at a decent pace :)
I bet that's using flats though?

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
What happened to us guys? 26 is better, 29 is better, 650b is better.......the hatred, the exclusion. You know what we've become.......ROADIES yes that's right, any given road ride I can turn up and be looked down upon because my legs aren't shaved, my bike isn't boutique Italian (it's efficient German snobs!) and my nicks don't match my jersey.......

Unite with dirt beneath our nails & a shock pump in our bags.

Bragging rights go not to those with the best kit, nor even the one that gets to the end first, it's the one with the biggest smile for ripping the trail apart just that little bit better than they did last week.

floody

Wheel size expert
What happened to us guys? 26 is better, 29 is better, 650b is better.......the hatred, the exclusion. You know what we've become.......ROADIES yes that's right, any given road ride I can turn up and be looked down upon because my legs aren't shaved, my bike isn't boutique Italian (it's efficient German snobs!) and my nicks don't match my jersey.......

Unite with dirt beneath our nails & a shock pump in our bags.

Bragging rights go not to those with the best kit, nor even the one that gets to the end first, it's the one with the biggest smile for ripping the trail apart just that little bit better than they did last week.

Yeah..not really.

No need to go handclappy like its a Hillsong event, we're just discussing if the 26" bike is finished, not what is better or worse.

5 Facts on the Future of the MTB Wheel

650b will become the staple wheel across market, particularly at the $1000 & upwards price-point & it will service all forms of MTBing (Trials excluded), unlike the 29".

26" will always be there servicing the purists & those who see no gains that hard work & technique can't compensate for, & the sub-$600 mtb.

29" will be staying & it will orientate itself around the XC, lightweight trail market & a few, erm, "progressive" limited-volume manufacturers...and we will sadly continue to experience the ongoing marketing hype until we the consumer are completely accepting of it as an industry standard.

24" will still remain, just in smaller volumes (which we've been seeing the last 2-3yrs as manufacturers continue to dump lines of 24" tyres & rim options)

Lastly, THE WHEEL DEBATE IS NOT OVER- YOU WILL SEE MANUFACTURERS PLAYING WITH OTHER SIZES OF WHEEL TOO! Get used to it.

Just remember, every item on your bike has gone through exactly the same evolution as the current debate over wheel size has, which ultimately gives you/us exactly what we want- options! Options that help you get the feel you want in a bike to keep you frothing, depending on what you intend to ride & how you intend to ride it (read into that how you will). Bars, brakes stems, forks & axles, rear hubs yaddayaddayadda- all have gone through exactly the same thing in one form or another. Experiencing a touch of deja vu? Good, I'm glad we've got that out of the way.

Horses for courses & ride whatever makes you happy, but just remember this:

Wheel size is like religion- don't preach to me about your choice in big wheels & I won't slap you down with my pimp hand.

Happy rolling.

EDIT: And I nominate this thread as having the most inflammatory title for 2012- been a long while since I've seen such nashing from Burners. Congratulations you little bloody shit-stirrer :pop2:

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got an 8" dh bike, a 6" slope style/am bike, a 5.5" trail bike and a 4"+ xc bike.
Ive had a roll around on some 29ers ranging from ht to 5". I don't argue that they're faster, but I'll argue to the death that they are not as much fun on the trails I ride...and they eat dick ;)
oh well, can't help those that don't want to be helped...

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
yeah, missed out on 12x135 hub as well...I am sure i missed heaps of others
I had a 12x125 hub on a yeti DH 9, made to suit a floating brake mount(remember them, they were a must and fixed all sorts of imaginary problems the marketeers convinced us existed ) From memory only one manufacturer to to a hub that size and didn't produce it for long. When that died the guys from aireal bodged me up one to keep me rollig

shakes

Likes Dirt
Pig's Arse.
The shaker is bang on, wait another couple of seasons and you will see the same model come in 3 different wheel sizes depending on frame size... The great wheel size debate is just beginning. Another couple of seasons after that expect to see a ~32"er wheel come through. A long travel 29er that works will apear and then someone will win the DH world cup on flats...

Does no one remember the 24" downhill debates?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
.. The great wheel size debate is just beginning. Another couple of seasons after that expect to see a ~32"er wheel come through.
You don't remember the 36ers?

someone will win the DH world cup on flats...
Been done

Does no one remember the 24" downhill debates?
Been brought up already

Internally geared, long travel Penny-fathings will be the future....

shakes

Likes Dirt
My sarcasm didn't come across right, the 36"er boat was a couple of years back. Once the 650b train has left the station another wheel size will stop on by.

As for the WC on flats comment, for a long time people were saying it wasnt possible. Just like people are saying 29" wont make the DH circuit, unless the governing body formerly known as the UCI brings in a controlled wheelsize, 26" will die a slow and painfull death.

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Yeah..not really.

No need to go handclappy like its a Hillsong event, we're just discussing if the 26" bike is finished, not what is better or worse.
Fine, sarcasm missed. Although I would argue a lot of this thread has been about which wheel size is better.

However in the spirit of the topic, no 26'ers are not a dying breed, they're just evolving. For any of the surfers out there, the short board did not kill the long board, the triple fin did not kill the single or twin fin. The cycling market is absolutely huge, it can support several wheel sizes (20inch, 24inch, 26inch, 650b, 29inch) it might just spread things a little thinner.

Boutique brands will fill the void as long anyone is yelling for 26inch they will exist.

CQP

Likes Bikes
As for the WC on flats comment, for a long time people were saying it wasnt possible. Just like people are saying 29" wont make the DH circuit, unless the governing body formerly known as the UCI brings in a controlled wheelsize, 26" will die a slow and painfull death.
Well it has been ten years already. If 29" wheels were going to come along and change downhill, I would have thought that they would have done it by now.

user name

Likes Dirt
...and then there's Cannondale, surely they'll invent a new head-shock, lefty, 32", no air in the tyres bike soon. All so the unskilled powerhouse roadies can handle something more exciting than 2-coat seal...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I will continue to buy the best bike I can afford for the job- and probably secondhand. After 6 years exclusively on 29ers I now have a FS 26er. It took a while to adjust but now I am having a blast every ride.
Supply and demand will dictate options in wheel size. My mate just built up a Mojo SL to be 22 lbs (6 inch forks) - there will always be the appeal of 26 FS bikes - you might find that many will offer 650b dropouts as an alternative.
I don't really care what wheel size I am riding