29er Tyre Thread

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Might give the Maxxis Aggressor a go, see how it compares to Ardent race. Guess it will be a trade off from speed to bite, but probably prefer that..

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Giving the Mitas/rubeanas a shot currently.

Have the Kratos 2.25 up front and the scylla 2.25 out the back.

Bag size was disappointing and ride is a touch less comfortable because of it, however the side walls have been really good. I ride Welby a lot which has a few little sharp rocks and being unfit currently my line choice is very questionable. Needless to say even in all the wet we have had lately and lots of strikes that should a cut many a tyre they are holding up great.

Grip is similar to an ikon 2.2 on the scylla and in between an ardent race and ardent on the kratos.

Probably will go back to maxxis but wont be until they wear out.

Bought them off MTBwannabe through his ascent cycling services gig when I bought my wheels.

moman

Likes Dirt
I've been running a 29er 2.3 aggressor on the rear over winter.

Definitely slower than ardent/ardent race/ikon 2.35 but great grip. It just tracks through corners. With a DHF up front its a real point and shoot combo. Great climbing traction also. You just won't set any strava climbing records ;)

Hools

Likes Dirt
Just put an Aggressor on the rear of my hardtail after the Specialized that was on there suffered catastrophic failure. Heavy heavy tyre. Thinking about a Forekaster for the front. Anyone tried one?

Last edited:

mint355

Likes Dirt
Just put an Aggressor on the rear of my hardtail after the Specialized that was on there suffered catastrophic failure. Heavy heavy tyre. Thinking about a Forekaster for the front. Anyone tried one?
Ive run an aggressor on my Patrol and my EPO. The Alice terrain suits the Maxxis DHF perfectly I run them on all 3 of my bikes. Im sure Zaf will back me up there. I think the forecaster is a mild mud tyre? But i havent seen one....

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Ive run an aggressor on my Patrol and my EPO. The Alice terrain suits the Maxxis DHF perfectly I run them on all 3 of my bikes. Im sure Zaf will back me up there. I think the forecaster is a mild mud tyre? But i havent seen one....

I haven't bought anything but Minion DHF's, in any wheel size, for the front end of my bikes since February 2015 (where I bought a Magic Mary for Rotorua).
The DHF is the best front tyre ever, put simply, and especially in Alice Springs' kitty litter on hardback style surface, it's one of the few tyres that hooks up consistently, and even when you do wash it out, has a brilliant recovery threshold.

I only saw hinting of the Forecaster when it was in development, and haven't followed it's release at all. Mainly because there's no need for it, because you can just go buy a DHF.

The only variance you see on my bikes at the moment is in the rear tread pattern used. In which case I have Ardent 2.4's, Minion SS and DHR 2.3s. Recently for the Canyon I grabbed some double down Tomahawks which look like they might phase out my use of the Ardent if they roll with a similar ease.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I haven't bought anything but Minion DHF's, in any wheel size, for the front end of my bikes since February 2015 (where I bought a Magic Mary for Rotorua).
The DHF is the best front tyre ever, put simply, and especially in Alice Springs' kitty litter on hardback style surface, it's one of the few tyres that hooks up consistently, and even when you do wash it out, has a brilliant recovery threshold.

I only saw hinting of the Forecaster when it was in development, and haven't followed it's release at all. Mainly because there's no need for it, because you can just go buy a DHF.

The only variance you see on my bikes at the moment is in the rear tread pattern used. In which case I have Ardent 2.4's, Minion SS and DHR 2.3s. Recently for the Canyon I grabbed some double down Tomahawks which look like they might phase out my use of the Ardent if they roll with a similar ease.
My limited use of the Tomahawk found it pretty draggy. I think I rode it once though.

Hools

Likes Dirt

How'd you like the Aggressor? You ran it on the rear? How do you rate the DHF against the Highroller?

Z

Zaf

My limited use of the Tomahawk found it pretty draggy. I think I rode it once though.
Rim profile?
My Minion SS' were draggy on the 31.6 internal LB rims. Well sort of (as much as a semislick can be) they were draggy compared to how the same tyre feels mounted on a 22mm internal, and lighter, wheel. A similar change in rolling resistance was noted in comparison to the same tyre in 650b mounted to a 25mm internal rim.

I doubt anything rolls as slowly as the High Roller II. Those things are a damned anchor, way more than the look of the pattern would imply. Not a bad front tyre, but keep them off the rear if you have to do any pedalling.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Rim profile?
My Minion SS' were draggy on the 31.6 internal LB rims. Well sort of (as much as a semislick can be) they were draggy compared to how the same tyre feels mounted on a 22mm internal, and lighter, wheel. A similar change in rolling resistance was noted in comparison to the same tyre in 650b mounted to a 25mm internal rim.

I doubt anything rolls as slowly as the High Roller II. Those things are a damned anchor, way more than the look of the pattern would imply. Not a bad front tyre, but keep them off the rear if you have to do any pedalling.
Was on a Mavic 721 I think, so 21mm internal.

Don't rate the HRII at all. Washed out and spat me at a tree one too many times

mint355

Likes Dirt
How'd you like the Aggressor? You ran it on the rear? How do you rate the DHF against the Highroller?
Yeah on the rear .The Aggressor is pretty good. Somewhere between a SS and a DHR2, I'd say. On your hardtail it would be hard to go past a Ardent in 2.4 on the rear. At the moment I got a DHF2.5/Ardent2.4 on my EPO and its great! Id go a DHF over the high roller 2 seem to hook up better...

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
That's one tyre I really dislike. Absolute pig on the back. See no point in running one on the front when you can just slap on a DHF. Well, I guess it bites pretty well under brakes. Probably the only thing it's better at than a DHF.

Z

Zaf

I've got the High Roller II on the front end of the Canyon, and it's a solid tyre up front and came stock. It's biggest failing is that it's not a DHF, but it will cost the same and weigh the same.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
That's one tyre I really dislike. Absolute pig on the back. See no point in running one on the front when you can just slap on a DHF. Well, I guess it bites pretty well under brakes. Probably the only thing it's better at than a DHF.
And then you just put a DHR II up front if you want better braking...

Hools

Likes Dirt
Sounds like I'm trying out a DHF then! And I take back any nice things I ever said about Speccy tyres. Rubbish.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Sounds like I'm trying out a DHF then! And I take back any nice things I ever said about Speccy tyres. Rubbish.
What spesh tyres were you using? Some only suffer a small weight penalty for the grid casing... I think the purgatory was a whopping 50g more. Butcher and slaughter are about 150-200g more, but still worthy tyres in my opinion.

I'll be going to spesh's new plus size grid tyres as soon as they are out. $70 for a 27.5x2.8 from spesh, and $120 for the same from maxxis is hard to swallow.