29er wheels

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Looking to change my 29er wheels - currently on TWE's and interested in a change - TWE Crests and DT comp/rev mix, nothing wrong with them - light etc and never bent them. Just want to try something else for a smoother hub, with tighter engament and stiffer wheel

Mavic SLR and ST - any good? Seem to have gotten past the bushing in the freehub now and since 2012 its no longer used.

Seem spendy though that's the only problem.

American Classics look interesting too, but AM's are 1800g and the MTB Race are $1k as well (unknown how stiff and strong too - very light, maybe a bit too light?)
FWIW, I am an anal retentive researcher and monumental tightarse, and bought the easton havens off CRC for $ 430 wheelset. The easton problems with their hubs loosening has been fixed and if you get old stock, they'll send the kit to update them to new design.

If you buy something I might be interested in the twe s though..... ;)

Arch ex hopes are around $440 a wheelset ATM , make sure you get the new 40pt engagement rears though. The arches are supposed to be plenty stiffer than the crests

Ackland

chats d'élevage
want to try something else for a smoother hub, with tighter engament and stiffer wheel
I would look for a DT240 rear hub with star ratchet upgrade. They roll for DAAAAAAAAAYS and make a sweet noise. I run an American Classic Front hub which is smooth as butter and was easier to get in a QR/QR15 convertible option....

maybe a bit too light?
What's too light?

Probably need more detail on what you weigh and budget/usage for spoke/rim recommendations.

I'd go Sapim CX ray laced to the best carbon rims you can afford for stiff/strong/light (but $$)

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Thanks Guys,

Yeah looking for a bit of a change and some bling (if I can for sub $1k?) So the Stans rims are a bit plain and I've had 3 sets. (arch and Crest)

Weigh 75kg, two bikes - HT for shortcourse racing and touring type rides (long climbs in BFP etc) Dually for singletrack fun (XC only, not really AM and I'm not a hard rider), and longer racing (Epic)

SLR's look great just the $$ a bit prohibitive.

I looked at Havens - nice looking wheel, but are still reasonably heavy at 1780gr

American Classic RACE are 1480gr which I though might just be too light for an aluminium wheel to still be strong and stiff - I hate noodly wheels, particularly on the dually. They are also up there in the $$

Hools

Likes Dirt
FWIW, I am an anal retentive researcher and monumental tightarse, and bought the easton havens off CRC for $ 430 wheelset. The easton problems with their hubs loosening has been fixed and if you get old stock, they'll send the kit to update them to new design.
Good luck with that. I contacted Easton six times and no answer. No answer from local distributor either. I talked to a bike shop and they said they stopped dealing with Easton for that reason. I like my Havens and have had no problem so far except for worn out bearings, but just a heads up.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Thanks Guys,

Yeah looking for a bit of a change and some bling (if I can for sub $1k?) So the Stans rims are a bit plain and I've had 3 sets. (arch and Crest)

Weigh 75kg, two bikes - HT for shortcourse racing and touring type rides (long climbs in BFP etc) Dually for singletrack fun (XC only, not really AM and I'm not a hard rider), and longer racing (Epic)

SLR's look great just the $$ a bit prohibitive.

I looked at Havens - nice looking wheel, but are still reasonably heavy at 1780gr

American Classic RACE are 1480gr which I though might just be too light for an aluminium wheel to still be strong and stiff - I hate noodly wheels, particularly on the dually. They are also up there in the $$
I have not (YET) ridden any carbon rims but have been told that the difference in stiffness is remarkable....
Can you make friends with a good wheel builder who is happy to be paid for labour only and get yourself some Chinese Carbon rims and order hubs/spokes yourself?
Also, I know plenty of people who are riding the pre built light bicycle wheelsets as they come (novatec hubs) and they are very happy with them....

creaky

XMAS Plumper
My SS wheelset (currently not being used) are AC MTB 29 tubeless. These were, from memory, 1600g (between the AM and the race). They are a decent width (21mm internal I think) and heaps stiffer than the crest wheel I own. I rate the AC rims for weight / stiffness and tubeless setup. I have had no problems from rims of hubs on this set in 3 years. I would not call the rear hub fast engaging so might not fit your criteria.

I have been running some Roval Control Carbon (or whatever - the hookless bead ones). Cost under $1200 and have DT rear hub internals with the 36pt upgrade installed as stock. They came with adapters (std. DT ones) for QR/15mm and QR/12x142 conversions - easy endcap swap. Really impressed with these. 23mm internal width, stiff and weighed in at 1600g. A bit more than your budget but they tick a lot of your boxes. The go-to wheels !

Also running some chinese carbon thingies which were 1500g, generic taiwanese hubs (with 48pt engagement and enduro bearings !). Had a problem with one rim which was replaced but have otherwise survived so far. I wouldn't recommend them cause I don't trust them ! I'm not easy on them and they surprise me every time they survive a ride but maybe I'm too much of a scaredy cat ??

Last set (bugger, I should really consider whether I need 7 wheels for 2 MTBs !) are WTB i23 rims on DT350 hubs. Heavy at 1950g but super stiff. With a 36pt upgrade they would be a super wheelset for a AM / heavy trail bike.

Happy to lend you a wheel or set at some stage if interested.

EDIT ... forgot the commuter. Arches on hope but a bit passe for what you are after.

Last edited:

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Thanks Creaky - I have Roval Carbon SL's on my SS and they are a solid wheel and very good quality - where are the Control Carbons for $1200?

I like DT hubs too, just not their rims

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Good luck with that. I contacted Easton six times and no answer. No answer from local distributor either. I talked to a bike shop and they said they stopped dealing with Easton for that reason. I like my Havens and have had no problem so far except for worn out bearings, but just a heads up.
Thx. I did contact customer service at CRC who told me to contact their warranty service who will send out the kit straight away if the wheelset is pre march manufacture.

The premium price we pay distros here doesn't seem to equate with premium service though does it? I must admit I won't touch mavic because of that disastrous free hub piece of plastic design from 4 years ago - I know they've fixed it, but being stung $150 for a new freehub when a 50c piece of plastic has worn out is shocking service and backup ( plus their non competitive price in oz versus europe)

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
If you are looking for something a little different but reasonably priced check out these guys @ curve cycling, they have a relationship with an Asian factory for the rims but you can read up on their site for the whole spiel http://www.curvecycling.com.au

I know Jesse and he is a stand up guy. He also tested a set of his 29r carbon rims in the mtb race Tour Divide where he pulled 2nd. He was leading due to smash the race record when struck by lightening, but that's another story. Suffice to say if anyone was gonna smash a set of wheels it was gonna be in this race by a hard man. The wheels were solid.

Anyway have a chat to them and see what they can do. Any questions, queries as to what they are doing, how, why etc they are best placed to answer.

At least this way you can assess another option which you can take up or reject.

All the best.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Yeah that's the ones - gratuitous pic of my Control SL's from today - keeping it Roval would be nice if not very spendy

If you are looking for something a little different but reasonably priced check out these guys @ curve cycling, they have a relationship with an Asian factory for the rims but you can read up on their site for the whole spiel http://www.curvecycling.com.au

I know Jesse and he is a stand up guy. He also tested a set of his 29r carbon rims in the mtb race Tour Divide where he pulled 2nd. He was leading due to smash the race record when struck by lightening, but that's another story. Suffice to say if anyone was gonna smash a set of wheels it was gonna be in this race by a hard man. The wheels were solid.

Anyway have a chat to them and see what they can do. Any questions, queries as to what they are doing, how, why etc they are best placed to answer.

At least this way you can assess another option which you can take up or reject.

All the best.
Cool thanks

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive put a couple of rides into the carbon wheels that were bought off their ebay site http://www.carbonspeedcycle.com/index.asp http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/carbonspeedcycle/m.html and can definitely say that these wheels are stiff..

It was really noticeable when cornering hard at speed on the road where I noticed a few times that i was turning into a corner too much and had to wind the steering back a bit so I wouldnt oversteer into the corner !! I put this down to being used to turning the bars a certain amount with the previous wheelset, and they must have been flexing under load, as the carbon wheels must stay 'truer" i spose under cornering..

cooken

Likes Dirt

I know Jesse and he is a stand up guy....
I recommend Jesse and Steve at Curve too, they've done a lot of research and testing on their wheels. If you live in Melbourne they have a few demo sets of wheels which they're happy to lend out so you can try before you buy. This is where my next wheelset will come from.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just buy the carbon rims from Lightbicycle.com and then send them to Greg at TWE and he laces them up to the hubs I want.
He's just finished off my 650b wheels and was able to match the online prices for the hubs that I wanted. My favourite hubs at the moment are DT350's because you can put the 36 star upgrade in them (or 54 if you can get them from Trek) and the weight difference between them an 240's is only 60g. If you look around it's easy to find a set (F&R) for under $300.
I've done a few thousand km's on my carbon 29er wheels and they've never needed a true up, and I would never consider going back to a Stans or similar rim - the added stiffness on the big hoops is worth it. Having said that I also view carbon wheels as consumable, I don't expect that they will last for ever.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
That's a good suggestion - the DT350's are basically what Roval are using too and I like them a lot. $300 a set, $250 a set of rims and what $200 to build?

Lightbicycle rims I have seems split thought from a small crash that burped the bead on a TL tyre setup - the air force was enough to crack the rim near the bead. The Rovals look to be stronger without the beadhook etc.

bh78

Likes Dirt
The Rovals look to be stronger without the beadhook etc.
Not sure about the beedhookless ones, however, I've just buggered the previous generation Control SL near one of the spokes. One inch long split. Not uncommon if you check MBTR.

Grant Stubbs

Likes Bikes
Crest / White Ind wheels

I've recently ordered some replacement wheels for my Giant Anthem X0 29er, I think it has the P-XC2 wheels.

Went with Stans Crest rims, White Industries hubs and DT spokes. Having them built up by Cycles Bespoke here in Perth, hoping they come out in the 1500g - 1600g range which should be a nice saving over stock.

Will post some pics when they are done. Anyonme had a similar build?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive put a couple of rides into the carbon wheels that were bought off their ebay site http://www.carbonspeedcycle.com/index.asp http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/carbonspeedcycle/m.html and can definitely say that these wheels are stiff..

It was really noticeable when cornering hard at speed on the road where I noticed a few times that i was turning into a corner too much and had to wind the steering back a bit so I wouldnt oversteer into the corner !! I put this down to being used to turning the bars a certain amount with the previous wheelset, and they must have been flexing under load, as the carbon wheels must stay 'truer" i spose under cornering..
Update.

Couple of hundred ks later, and they are due for retension. Rear spokes are slightly loose, not bad, but enough to notice by hand when checking...The wheels are still true, and no "twangy" noises when cornering or over the rough stuff. Front and rear are both tubelessed and the tyres "pop" reassuringly when seating and are tight to remove over the "hump" on the inner rim. I used Gorilla tape to seal the rims and it has held up well to a couple of tyre swaps also..:thumb: