29er wheels

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Similar experience here, have just over 2000kms on the lightbicycle carbon rims with dt staright gauge spokes. Never need trueing and I checked tension with the parktool gauge a month ago and found they were all still good. I go between 90-100kg with gear on the tallboy and I don't tend to fuss about hitting things hard and they've stood up to the abuse. About to rip the wife's wheels apart and use her hope hubs + LB wider 26'er rims.

jnatera

Likes Bikes
Has anyone been running the new 2014 Mavic XM 819 rims for my Cube Reaction 29er. Looking at getting a set made up with Hope hubs.

Jettn

Squid
I run also run Havens which full UST which are a great rear wheel now with the free upgrade hub bearing kit but the front hub shits me to tears it keeps coming loose and you have to keep adjusting it every 4 rides or so, there is no upgrade for the front it seems though :c. Light and strong i do jumps and rock gardens i picked them up off chain reaction for around 400 bucks the pair when they were on sale about a year ago. My mate just bought those american classics and holy sht they are light and massive wide only problem is he has to lose some kg to ride on them.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Has anyone got any experience with:

DT Swiss XR 1450's?
Yeap, a pain in the arse to get replacement spokes, odd length and if they are the same as the wheels that are OE on my Rocky Mountain Element, you can't just buy a single spoke you need to by a full spoke and nipple replacement set which will set you around $100 for a set of 9 spokes (3 different spoke lengths: 3 for front and 3 each for the drive and non drive side rear).

Otherwise they run DtSwiss 240 hubs which are the business and require little to no servicing

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Anyone got an actual weight for a Light Bicycle XC 29er hook less clincher rim?
which one? they do 3 widths.

their weights listed on the site are pretty good though. it will fall within the stated weight +/- their tolerance.

quiggs

Likes Dirt

DT Swiss XR 1450's?
Yeap, a pain in the arse to get replacement spokes, odd length and if they are the same as the wheels that are OE on my Rocky Mountain Element, you can't just buy a single spoke you need to by a full spoke and nipple replacement set which will set you around $100 for a set of 9 spokes (3 different spoke lengths: 3 for front and 3 each for the drive and non drive side rear).

Otherwise they run DtSwiss 240 hubs which are the business and require little to no servicing

cooken

Likes Dirt

Mavic Crossmax SLR's?
Yep. I've had them for close to 2 years now. Most will tell you proprietary spokes are annoying (and they kind of are) plus you need to buy a few different types of spares (rear drive side, non-drive side etc). Hubs can require a bit of adjustment over time.

Having said that, I think they're great. They feel very stiff for a light alloy 29er wheel. If you can't afford carbon, I think it's a good option. They setup tubeless really easily, not having to run rim tape is a bonus. I've given them hell on my hardtail over 1000's of kms, including the Cape Epic last year, and they've be pretty much flawless. Haven't required truing. I weigh 80-83kgs.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

Mavic Crossmax SLR's?

DT Swiss XR 1450's?
Bang for buck vs weight....

Hope Hoops Crests
Stan's ZTR Crests
Buy em through a trusted store and get the mech to check the tensions for you.

Both of the wheelsets you ask about use proprietary bits... I avoid proprietary wherever possible.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. I've had them for close to 2 years now. Most will tell you proprietary spokes are annoying (and they kind of are) plus you need to buy a few different types of spares (rear drive side, non-drive side etc). Hubs can require a bit of adjustment over time.

Having said that, I think they're great. They feel very stiff for a light alloy 29er wheel. If you can't afford carbon, I think it's a good option. They setup tubeless really easily, not having to run rim tape is a bonus. I've given them hell on my hardtail over 1000's of kms, including the Cape Epic last year, and they've be pretty much flawless. Haven't required truing. I weigh 80-83kgs.
Agree with all of the above. I've been running them for over 12 months on a hardtail that's been ridden through all kinds of things.
They are seriously strong for a wheel of their weight. What they give up to others in weight, they more than make up in the ability to just ride them.
Great wheelset.

The new Crossmax's look amazing in full black too.

cooken

Likes Dirt
The new Crossmax's look amazing in full black too.
They do look good. Not a great deal lighter than the older ones though.

They seem to have crept up in price a fair bit! Not sure how cheap you can get them but most places seem to be advertising around $1400-1500. I paid around $1000 from my LBS two years ago when they were first released. $1400 seems a bit steep to me, that's getting very close to decent carbon wheels and well above other light alloy options.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
V[HR][/HR]

Mavic Crossmax SLR's?

DT Swiss XR 1450's?
I have the Mavics on two 29er's. one FS and the other is a HT.
They run beautifully, stiff, strong and light. Wouldn't hesitate to run them again on an XC bike.
I'm a smidge over their recommended rider weight and in two years I've only broken one spoke and that was down to me riding like an idiot. Rode the bike out though with no problems.
Replacement spoke cost me $2.50 and was back in the wheel in about 5 mins. Only needed to true the wheel then.
Also had to replace the bearings in the free hub body. Cost me $35.

I run them all the time. Don't ride easy on the FS bike but a little easier on the HT for obvious reasons.

If I were looking for a more trail oriented bike I'd consider something with a wider seat as 19mm / 21mm is a little narrow when others are running 28mm+.

They look awesome, run so very smoothly and the hubs fit almost every connotation of frame / fork you can hope to use (lefty aside and then you just buy a specific hub)
Hope this helps...

Bodin

GMBC
I have the Mavics on two 29er's. one FS and the other is a HT.
They run beautifully, stiff, strong and light. Wouldn't hesitate to run them again on an XC bike.
+1

I'm a 75-80kg rider and I've been hammering the hell out of a set of second-hand SLRs on my 26" Trek Fuel for the last year. Races, trail rides, the lot except no serious DH.

Zero mechanicals and an absolute minimum of maintenance. I half wonder if they'll outlast my frame... When they cost less than half of a set of Enve rims, they're a no-brainer.

These and a set of decent race tyres (Rubena Scylla 2.25) dropped most of a kilo off the stock wheels/tyres (Bontrager Rhythm Elite / XR3 tyres) for less than a grand.

Yes, I'd theoretically like the rims to be wider, but my other rims are wider and I can't say I actually notice the difference.