29er wheels

hilo

Likes Bikes
re: XT wheels & tubeless tyre pressures

Did a few km around the Lake Mountain tracks today. XT wheels seemed pretty good (from what I can tell).

Conditions were soggy though, and generally the mix of Purgatory/Captain seemed to be pretty good. My first ride on tubeless.

Two fellows happened by as I was slowly riding up towards the end of the track, and one of them mentioned that my tyres seemed a bit hard (they also seemed to know quite a bit more about MTB than me)--they suggested to drop the PSI. Two different gauges told me that the tyres were at 35psi--one of the fellows mentioned that measuring pressure off of Presta valves is notoriously inaccurate and that I should drop my pressure down a bit.

Q: Is this the case? And as a 106kg rider I am not toooo keen to drop down below recommended PSI. (They did 'feel' hard, but you know at the moment I believe in measuring more than just pressing with my fingers)

Cheers

HiLo

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Q: Is this the case? And as a 106kg rider I am not toooo keen to drop down below recommended PSI. (They did 'feel' hard, but you know at the moment I believe in measuring more than just pressing with my fingers)

Cheers

HiLo
Can't speak for the accuracy of the gauges, but give the lower pressures a try, just to see if it makes some difference for you. Just take it easy when you try it.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't get to attached to the 355's.
All of the light stans rims are pretty much wheels-on-the-ground rims. Anyone can dent a rim. It happens - a hit like that would crack many rims I reckon. I rode a set of I9ss/ztr355/aerolite wheels for a year with no problems on a rigid bike on far more rocky/denty stuff than there is in Australia.

Wouldn't rider weight play a part in that too?

An 85kg rider's race only wheelset might be OK for a 65kg rider every day?

(At least this is what I'm hoping from my 355's).
Of course, there's a lot of factors that go into the strength, stiffness and durability of a wheel (strength stiffness and durability are pretty seperate IMO). Tyre pressure, rider weight, suspension, wheels on the ground or in the air?, size and width of hub flange, spoke type, nipple type, spoke tension levels and uniformity.

Arches are not heavy, IME ztr's are enough for me, it'd take a lot to get me to spend my pocket money on a set of crest wheels. I'm a one wheelset kind of girl, and I just don't think it's worthwhile getting what was (until FRM released their 330g rim) the lightest non-carbon 29er rim on the market. ~1700g is plenty light for me. That said, I saw someone with a set of chub hubs laced to crest rims w/ cx-rays, the stupidly light flanges would, I reckon, would go a long way to keepng the wheel stiff, they are relatively light hubs to boot. Ugly though.

Last edited:

trickle

Likes Dirt
All of the light stans rims are pretty much wheels-on-the-ground rims. Anyone can dent a rim. It happens - a hit like that would crack many rims I reckon. I rode a set of I9ss/ztr355/aerolite wheels for a year with no problems on a rigid bike on far more rocky/denty stuff than there is in Australia.
I appreciate your point, though my wheel failed on a fire road section littered with nothing but rocks no larger then 25mm and general loose scree. I don't (read can't) jump so my wheels are definitely on the ground. We went back and checked for larger rocks that would have caused a rim to dent but there was just nothing consistent with what you'd normally expect.

Reps are saying I obviously hit something...I'd have known it given the whack my rim has in it however I know I didn't. Point is, I didn't hit anything but for oh so long reps/shops/ distributors have heard the old "I was just riding along when..." so my hope of a freebie replacement is generally not going to happen.

Will see how the crest goes...

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't (read can't) jump so my wheels are definitely on the ground.

Will see how the crest goes...
I can vouch for trickles abilty, has about as much skill as a snail with a sprained ankle :D , I'm hoping my crest laced to xt hubs will be the best of both worlds, lightish but still strong enough.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I used Crests on my Big Top laced up to a powertap rear and an XTR 20mm thru axle hub for solo worlds... I weigh about 78kg or so and not what I'd call a 'smooth' rider (more crash or crash through). They were set up tubeless with just tape.

This is the first 24 I've done on this combo, previously I was using Arches (and was probably racing at around 85kg or so).

The Crests lasted the entire race without any complaints, despite a slow leaking rear tyre that refused to seal properly (def the tyre and not the rim) which meant that some impacts were going all the way through to the rim. The rear is also very slightly out of true but that was caused more by me being a gumby and attempting to cross it up on my last lap and not pulling it back straight before the landing!

I'm happy with them (crests) as an all-round wheelset - the 24 is about as abusive as I'm likely to get but my previous rims (Arches) are just fine even after 3 24s (Camore, Kona and Majura) and a full season of training and endurance racing... I'd say there's a definite strength advantage in going for Arches as an all-round training wheel.

Arches - bomb proof but about 100g heavier each rim, Crests - lighter but at this rate I'll probably end up replacing the rear rim every 12months or so.

Win

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't get to attached to the 355's.
I recommend 355/Crests to my mates and customers after thoroughly flogging 3 sets of wheels over 3 years and many kilometres
I've just got back from the braking bumps of Rotorua, riding them full rigid, I'm 78kg. Still haven't had a problem with them
The majority of 29er riders are using them

wingy

Likes Dirt
I recommend 355/Crests to my mates and customers after thoroughly flogging 3 sets of wheels over 3 years and many kilometres
I've just got back from the braking bumps of Rotorua, riding them full rigid, I'm 78kg. Still haven't had a problem with them
The majority of 29er riders are using them
Yup. Mine are true and rolling great after a few months of punishment. That includes some Old Hidden Vale goodness.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Considering this thread is pretty general, what I want to know, is why the RRP of Hope Pro 2 hubs are CHEAPER than No tubes ZTR hubs..? Especially given that No tubes charge around 200 bucks for hope hubs...

I was planning on buying parts and getting the LBS to build it up for the same cost as delivery from No tubes... but if the ZTR hubs are as good the the Hopes.... But then EVERYONE seems to get hope hubs...

Man this is making my head go wiggy.

Last edited:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Considering this thread is pretty general, what I want to know, is why the RRP of Hope Pro 2 hubs are CHEAPER than No tubes ZTR hubs..? Especially given that No tubes charge around 200 bucks for hope hubs...

I was planning on buying parts and getting the LBS to build it up for the same cost as delivery from No tubes... but if the ZTR hubs are as good the the Hopes.... But then EVERYONE seems to get hope hubs...

Man this is making my head go wiggy.
I'd suggest you're much better off with the Hopes. Parts availability, for one. Next year or the year after Notubes could well change their hub supplier.

- Joel

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
I'd suggest you're much better off with the Hopes. Parts availability, for one. Next year or the year after Notubes could well change their hub supplier.

- Joel
Do people like the noise of the rear Hope Pro II? I feel like a damn moto.

I take as encouragement that I shouldn't be freewheeling. Like a big embarrassing noise saying to everyone that I'm not pedalling.

Bodin

GMBC

I take as encouragement that I shouldn't be freewheeling. Like a big embarrassing noise saying to everyone that I'm not pedalling.
I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the noise itself, but it's impossible to chat with my mates while we're riding, because I like to freewheel as much as I can.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Remove freewheel assembly.
Add good quality grease.
Enjoy quieter freewheel.