29er wheels

jrh

Likes Bikes
Ordered last Tuesday from UK 2x 355 stans White 29ers, dt 240 QR15 c/l front hub and 240 c/l rear, just under $650 the lot. Prob around $850 built. Should look sweet on my Anthem when it arrives.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Do people like the noise of the rear Hope Pro II?
In an entirely subjective way, I think it sounds cheap. i9 and king hubs have a much more 'pulling a zip tie' buzz, which sounds pretty cool. DT and white industries have a more 'refined' ratcheting noise, if that makes any sense at all.

But yeah, if you don't like it you can pack it with a decent grease (anything really, so long as it doesn't clog up and get gammy in the pawls) and it'll be a fair bit quieter.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Do people like the noise of the rear Hope Pro II? I feel like a damn moto.

I take as encouragement that I shouldn't be freewheeling. Like a big embarrassing noise saying to everyone that I'm not pedalling.
We discussed this on a ride last Sunday. Very annoying for the rider in front to be continually pedalling, only to hear the continuous noise of the freewheel behind him.

Roland

Petero

Likes Dirt
$200= mates rates?
thats less than $3 per spoke, so very cheap for good quality spokes....
You can get a pack of DT spokes (pretty much any type, incl nipples) for around 100 bucks online.

Problem being, you rarely need 72 spokes all of the same length....

bear the bear

Is a real bear
You can get a pack of DT spokes (pretty much any type, incl nipples) for around 100 bucks online.

Problem being, you rarely need 72 spokes all of the same length....
Not that I can build a wheel to save my life, but last time I checked you need at least 2x types (not sure about mtb wheels whether the front is also assymetric?)

I still think the cost is lite....

Win

Likes Dirt
I was just going on the higher price = better product mentality.
Curious that's all.
Sorry Pedero, you are comfusing me.
NoTubes up charge their Hope Hubed wheelset US$245
If you cross ref that price with CRC they are effectively giving away their ZTR hubs
So does that make ZTR hubs worthless?;)

Petero

Likes Dirt
Sorry Pedero, you are comfusing me.
NoTubes up charge their Hope Hubed wheelset US$245
If you cross ref that price with CRC they are effectively giving away their ZTR hubs
So does that make ZTR hubs worthless?;)
Yes, I confuse myself at times too..

This is the exact reason I was asking. I can not understand why Notubes would charge 250 bucks more for a hubset that retails for less then their house brand hubs. As you said, this effectively makes them worthless.

The question is, why do NoTubes ZTR hubs retail for more than Hope hubs?? Especially when NoTubes charge 250 bucks to upgrade from ZTR to Hopes. Surely it doesn't cost them $50 (RRP $300/set) to make...

JDB

Likes Dirt
I can't wait for these things to hit the market! 370g, 32h, UST, no weight limit. Have a Scandal with the On-One forks, love their 29er gear, definitely getting a set of these.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Fascinating thread. I'm finding it pretty hard to find general $ information online - possibly due to the fact that the wheel builder plays such an important role in the quality of the end product so apples aren't necessarily apples...

What sort of $ ballpark figure are we talking for say, 29er Arch's on DT 240 hubs? And, is a decent second hand wheelset worth the saving? Off ebay for example. Or should there be a big discount for buying second hand due to possible damage/wear and tear?

Last edited:

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
A set of dt240s will cost you upwards of $600. They're a great hub, I've got a set on my roadie, and I had another set which were ~5years old, had ~80,000 road kms on them and had had nothing done to them but a set of bearings at 50,000km. Pretty much indestructable, but well beyond the point of diminishing returns. Basically a bit of wank factor for me. Not the hub you're looking for if you're a fast engagement freak.

RRP on stans rims is about $120.

About $80/end for wheel building

About $2/spoke + 50c per alloy prolock nipple

So you're looking at just this side of $900.

340 hubs are about half the price and although heavier, do the job and are effectively as durable.

DW-1

Dirt Works
trying hard to make this sound like a sales pitch...

but...

Wheelcraft are doing FREE Stan's rims on hand-built custom wheelbuilds. Built on either DT Swiss 340 or 370 hubs, with DT Swiss spokes and nipples.

Valid until the end of November only. Talk to your local retailer and get them to call us.

*end spam message*

Elvis.

Shaman

Likes Dirt
Free Stans rims?

Wheelcraft are doing FREE Stan's rims on hand-built custom wheelbuilds. Built on either DT Swiss 340 or 370 hubs, with DT Swiss spokes and nipples.
Elvis.
Does that include 26" rims by any chance and are there any caveats?

DW-1

Dirt Works
Does that include 26" rims by any chance and are there any caveats?
26" is also included.
Order must be placed (by a dealer) before the end of November.
Hubs must be DT Swiss 370 or 340 series.
Deal is only for wheelsets only (sorry... no single wheels)
Spokes and nipples must be DT Swiss.
Wheels will be hand built by Wheelcraft.

Offer is limited to stock on-hand only. (no backorders or rainchecks)

ummm... I think that's all the fine print.

Elvis.

Last edited:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt

but...

Valid until the end of November only. Talk to your local retailer and get them to call us.

*end spam message*

Elvis.
That's insane. 340s are awesome.

- Joel

Knopey

Likes Dirt

but...

*end spam message*

Elvis.
Ah... sorry for the stupid question, but do we ask our LBS to talk to Dirtworks or Wheelcraft, or are they (you) the same thing, or will they know about this deal already? Cheers