$4000 car. Rav4 or similar

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Glycol usually finds the minor leaks and turns them into big ones.
Why? Cause it’s high viscosity, runs higher temps, or some chemical reaction?

I’d change all fluids on a newly purchased sub $5k vehicle. If it’s got a drama then I’d rather know now than 100km from home.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
i Have a RAV4 Cruiser 2004 and we just picked up the latest iteration... so we like the Toyota.

Essentially it gets approx 10l / 100 or 450km / 45 litres highway ... I think it has a 50l tank and I’ve taken it to +48 (45 main + 5litre spare) ... so I think my numbers are about right.
In town it’s not much different really. Say 420/430km per 45l ... I monitor manually ... no trip comp.

My RAV gets driven pretty hard ... so the main issues have been suspension. It’s had the rear replaced within its life to date ... and I’ve been contemplating upgrading front and rear as it’s getting a bit of wallowing.

AC compressor failed about 2 years ago ... we suspected it had a leak somewhere about 3 years ago, but the blue dye never found it. Car is parked on the street so all the moisture has it’s effect.

Overall, it’s been a great car ... lots of road trips with both family and bike. Sunroof hasn’t leaked yet and My father in-law basically told me all sun roofs leak. Aside from the suspension ... I’ve noticed the trim around the body kit has delaminates so most of the moulding around the wheel wells are flapping around a little.

It’s a little on the small side for a family SUV ... but I love the mighty RAV. Can get 1 bike in the cab with the rear seats down if needed. A full sized XL bike box on its side ... I use a q-spear type rack which is my preferred rack type and I’ve never had a ticket or problem with obscured plates.

I rate it for a MTB specific car. Tows a box trailer comfortably.

Re: Santa Fe
My in-laws have the top end ... nice features ... engine is efficient but I find it a bit buzzy.
I’ve had a lower end Elantra and find fuel efficiency and general rolling speed awesome on Hyundais for pretty good for my lead foot / tight arse wants.
Santa Fe is bigger then my old RAV... smaller then the new RAV.
If I didn’t pickup the new RAV ... the Santa Fe was the plan B

I didn’t read the whole thread ... but didn’t see many people with actual RAV love/ownership ... good luck

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ok, I’m still missing something. Why again would you buy a 4WD for passenger car use and towing small trailer?. (my 900cc three cylinder Clio towed a box trailer comfortably). And it’s hefty on fuel sucking down over 10l/100. I just don’t get the suv thing, why is heavier thirstier unweildier better than a station wagon?

Is it just marketing? Because by pulling out a tape measure I don’t see how the “it has space” argument is a thing.

Haakon

Glycol usually finds the minor leaks and turns them into big ones.
If you’ve got those sort of leaks I’d warrant you’re in for bigger problems anyway... Nope, never heard of that, always changed the coolant on a new acquisition if I don’t know the history.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If you’ve got those sort of leaks I’d warrant you’re in for bigger problems anyway... Nope, never heard of that, always changed the coolant on a new acquisition if I don’t know the history.
You usually don't find them until you pressure test the system as a lot cars don't go to full pressure unless the car is run in abnormal conditions. If I find a car with off coloured coolant or rusty water and asked to flush the cooling system I usually pressure test it before, check the condition of the hoses and check the weep holes on the water pump and if I see any minor leaks I recommend them repaired but most shops these days just throw the coolant flush machine on there and a few days later the car comes back with leaks everywhere.

Why? Cause it’s high viscosity, runs higher temps, or some chemical reaction?

I’d change all fluids on a newly purchased sub $5k vehicle. If it’s got a drama then I’d rather know now than 100km from home.
I don't know what chemistry is behind it but that's what happens, if you change the coolant as per recommendations you'll never have a problem, water pumps last longer, no sludge build up in the radiator and if you buy a car that's not maintained it's just that.

Last edited:

Haakon

You usually don't find them until you pressure test the system as a lot cars don't go to full pressure unless the car is run in abnormal conditions. If I find a car with rusty water and asked to flush the cooling system I usually pressure test it before, check the condition of the hoses and check the weep holes on the water pump and I see any minor leaks I recommend them repaired but most shops these days just throw the coolant flush machine on there and a few days later the car comes back with leaks everywhere.

I don't know what chemistry is behind it but that's what happens, if you change the coolant as per recommendations you'll never have a problem, water pumps last longer, no sludge build up in the radiator and if you buy a car that's not maintained it's just that.
Yeah fair enough. If the coolant is rusty, that dissolved metal had to come from somewhere! I’d be shying away from buying a used car that clearly neglected though...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah fair enough. If the coolant is rusty, that dissolved metal had to come from somewhere! I’d be shying away from buying a used car that clearly neglected though...
This is the common scenario that I've seen working in workshops, Immaculate car, good service history with sale price of $10000, exact same car with no history of maintenance $9000, you can guess 9/10 which car they go home with and it's not the good one.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Ok, I’m still missing something. Why again would you buy a 4WD for passenger car use and towing small trailer?. (my 900cc three cylinder Clio towed a box trailer comfortably). And it’s hefty on fuel sucking down over 10l/100. I just don’t get the suv thing, why is heavier thirstier unweildier better than a station wagon?

Is it just marketing? Because by pulling out a tape measure I don’t see how the “it has space” argument is a thing.
Have you seen his dog? You'd need a full length sunroof in a wagon for Burt to stand up. Especially in a wagon the size that you'd be recommending.......

LPG

likes thicc birds

I felt the same way until I looked at what was available second hand (especially in manual). There isn't much to choose from that is reliable, easy to get parts and doesnt hold it's value (so is cheap to buy). I ended up with a 2006 xtrail because it was the sensible decision, but I would have chosen something else if I went new.

And yes, I was scared of French cars.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ok, I’m still missing something. Why again would you buy a 4WD for passenger car use and towing small trailer?
I recently bought a rav. I tried really hard to buy a wagon and a 'small car' was too small for my needs - it's usually the baby seat test that forces you to upgrade to a bigger car - you can't fit squat in a rear facing configuration.

So given I would be towing, I wrote off all cvt and dsg/dct trans which is about half the market. That leaves mazda 6 and skoda octavia (I think hyundai stopped their i40 but it was piss weak anyway). Now the mazda has an average 75kg tow ball weight rating and besides people asking stupid money for them - over $30k for 2 year old car. Skoda is good value and comes in manual but the 1.4 turbo is a bit hit miss. That pretty much leaves only SUVs to choose from.

It's sort of like the death spiral of manual. Less manual options so more manual buyers buy auto. Same with SUVs, less options so people end up buying an SUV even if they don't need it.

Haakon

So it’s marketing then... Annoying. I’d take a Commode wagon over an suv, surely that’s got the space and towing. Reliability hit worth it to avoid driving a truck?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
So it’s marketing then... Annoying. I’d take a Commode wagon over an suv, surely that’s got the space and towing.
Marketing for the masses, the rest of us get stuck with what the masses buy. Basically if you are not the type to trade in a car every 3-4 years then car makers don't give a squat about you. I was willing to gamble on reliability and parts support but the ZB commo is considerably longer and bigger car. With a hitch rack on, it doesn't actually fit in my garage!

Trust me, as a guy who prefers small light cars (mx5, 86, lotus elise) and not really into 'power' I detested driving an SUV. But in the end you don't get to pick what auto makes produce. You just buy the best fit even if it's not perfect.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
So it’s marketing then... Annoying. I’d take a Commode wagon over an suv, surely that’s got the space and towing. Reliability hit worth it to avoid driving a truck?
How bad’s your driving ability if you need an amazing handling car to corner at the speed limit?
Drive an actual truck then drive an suv and get back to us on what handles like shit.

Haakon

How bad’s your driving ability if you need an amazing handling car to corner at the speed limit?
Drive an actual truck then drive an suv and get back to us on what handles like shit.
I dunno, but when a kid or a dog runs out or I need to take evasive actions on a high speed country highway, I’ll take every last bit of handling prowess I can get my hands on and hope I never need it.

I pointed out the rollover videos of Pusfjnders to someone at work who was set on getting one “because kids”. Scary dangerous on a country highway - one big swerve, a skid and a road shoulder catching a tyre and over they go - and you’re going to die...

I’ve driven trucks, and ute and (proper) 4WD and SUVs and everything in between. My experience driving SUVs is mostly what makes me wonder why anyone would willingly subject themselves to one...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Because 'Kids' these days aren't taught vehicle dynamics, they're taught how to park. Which includes me, I learnt what I know from late night jaunts. So they buy what is cool and trendy, leaving us who know what 2 tons of out of control vehicle can damage to make do with what they discard.

I'll be in my rocking chair if you need me.

Haakon

Because 'Kids' these days aren't taught vehicle dynamics, they're taught how to park. Which includes me, I learnt what I know from late night jaunts. So they buy what is cool and trendy, leaving us who know what 2 tons of out of control vehicle can damage to make do with what they discard.

I'll be in my rocking chair if you need me.
That and the fact modern cars with all the electronic wizardry means most people never know what dynamics are and never learn about recovering a slide or anything. And the vehicle hides its limits and at anything under the limit they’re benign.

Get beyond that limit and it all goes to shit fast and the driver has no clue how to deal with it... SUVs are super hazardous because the limit is easier to find (especially in emergency situations) and when they go to shit it’s way more likely to kill you.

I’ll join you in a chair on the porch. Some clouds need yelling at...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Because 'Kids' these days aren't taught vehicle dynamics
Kid's aren't even taught basic skills like emergency braking. It's sad. Most of me and my mates learned the ropes late night hooning. Yeah the stuff was sometimes dangerous, but it did make us better drivers now.

On highway swerving, I never swerve at high speed -that's how you die. Safer to hard brake and risk a collision. Of course the correct method is to hard brake and swerve last minute but teaching skills like that to average joe is a recipe for disaster.

Haakon

Kid's aren't even taught basic skills like emergency braking. It's sad. Most of me and my mates learned the ropes late night hooning. Yeah the stuff was sometimes dangerous, but it did make us better drivers now.

On highway swerving, I never swerve at high speed -that's how you die. Safer to hard brake and risk a collision. Of course the correct method is to hard brake and swerve last minute but teaching skills like that to average joe is a recipe for disaster.
Yep - just hit the roo, and don’t risk hitting the tree.

Once had to apply this in earnest when a car pulled onto the freeway in front of me - 100 metres of smoke pouring off my nice new (now flat spotted) Pirellis and then a last minute still quick excursion onto the grass. Not fun.

For a 1960s, the P6 Rover has outstanding brakes and handling. Saved my arse that day.

The Alfa Guilietta would have come to halt easily in time with no skidding... Things have improved.

My colleague in the 2 tonne under braked under tyred pusfinder would probably just have plowed into the other car and killed them, probably then rolling over and killing them too.

slowmick

38-39"
Had to do driver training to drive a company car in one of my jobs. Course was run at Sandown Racecourse. Nothing like practising defensive driving in the main straight in a near new car with a concrete wall on one side and the armco on the other. i shit when the ABS kicked in.

People are really nervous about getting up to 60 km/h when they know they are about to avoid a pretend accident. Not so much when they get on the roads and drive for real...