XC 7kg Niner One9 RDO SS - AKA Matt justifies his purchases to Mitchy_

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Agreed Matt !
Dw...Haters are gonna hate. (Thought people had a go at me coz I 'don't ride', but fuck! Matt has a set of legs and countless podiums to back it up.)

Spend your money however you want! If it makes you happy then it's all that matters.
it's an internet forum, it's posted to invoke discussion. just because not everyone's opinion agrees with yours, doesn't make them a 'hater'.
if you really didn't care what people thought, it wouldn't even be posted.

i have a fairly light bike. but price is taken into consideration. matt obviously wanted that crank, and by all means go for it... i still think it's a stupid purchase. i couldn't justify the $700 extra to save 50 grams that wont be noticed. horses for courses.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
i couldn't justify the $700 extra to save 50 grams that wont be noticed.
OR WILL IT.....

Since the crank isn't static weight and is in a constant rate of change in velocity, much like wheels... I imagine that there would be a measurable difference.... (granted you might need to borrow the large hadron collider)

I am always amused by peoples response to $s spent.

My wife's opinion, if you want it- buy it. She has seen me loose 20kg since I got into MTBing and knows how important it is to my well being.

Some people collect stamps, I prefer nice bike stuff.....

Matt, get some Schmolke bars.....

Have you looked at AB rotors?
I've looked at the Tune bars.....

Not convinced the AB rotors exist.... and odd that the 82g is cheaper than the 95 or 105g..... that 40g Ti one....... :jaw:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OR WILL IT.....

Since the crank isn't static weight and is in a constant rate of change in velocity, much like wheels... I imagine that there would be a measurable difference.... (granted you might need to borrow the large hadron collider)

I've looked at the Tune bars.....

Not convinced the AB rotors exist.... and odd that the 82g is cheaper than the 95 or 105g..... that 40g Ti one....... :jaw:
Tune bars are made by Schmolke aren't they????

Had all the same thoughts about rotors. I did wonder if they messed up sizes/ weight.
Seem they are available to order though....

mitchy_

Llama calmer
OR WILL IT.....

haha. measurable sure... noticeable, probably not! you'll go faster due to the lighter wallet. ;)

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... i still think it's a stupid purchase...
It's all relative. I'm sure to someone who's not into cycling, spending $500 on a bike is a stupid purchase.

I can see more merit in Matt's Blackfoot cranks than people getting excited over the $500 Race Face SLs. For years Speci sold the S-works cranks that are lighter and stiffer than the RF SLs and were only $300. The Blackfoot's are seriously expensive, but at least they are lighter. The RF SLs are just more expensive than the s-works and heavier. Now that's what I call a stupid purchase...

(Note: the s-works would only fit on speci frames and on frames with a 68mm BB - so if you didn't have one of these then the RF SLs are not so stupid).

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lightning cranks never had the best reputation.

I know of a few failures on Spesh branded lightning cranks.....

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Lightning cranks never had the best reputation.

I know of a few failures on Spesh branded lightning cranks.....
Then again... this can be said of almost anything... particularly in the lightweight parts space...

I haven't had as much time as I'd like on this bike lately... most training rides require the use of the geared HT....

I'm sure me and the blackfoot cranks will get to know each other well over the next 2 weeks though....

I really hope the 4iii power meters come through with their promise of being compatible with ANY carbon crank

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I'm bruised but mostly annoyed at myself.

And yes, the lane was in operation at the time.

I was turning right at an intersection and checking over my left shoulder as there was a car acting strangely.
Accelerated to make the turn and duck into to bike lane.
As I straightened up my head, the car was there and there was nowhere to go.

Police have deemed that I was inattentive but will fine the car....