A-GPS phones ? Nokia etc

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
mmm well i spose its actually broken.

basicaly i threw it at a wall, and the phone pretty much exploded.

from that day my gps hasn't worked, and i hoped maybe i turned it off by accident..

but clearly i haven't.

it finds the satellites, but cant get a good connection to them.

its just so hard to deal with insurance, and optus stores, which is a shame as the only reason i got the phone was for the GPS...

sawyer815

Cannon Fodder
I've got a Nokia 5800 with GPS and Sportstracker and I find that it works really well. If you want to see the map as you are using it, it downloads a tiny bit of data to fill in the map and thats about it - nothing noticeable at all.

I used it the other day to track a lap of Stromlo http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=1569568"] and then you can then upload it to the Sportstracker site and share it with everyone.

I've only ever had it lose the signal to the satellite once and that was when I got a call. Other than that, its really good and locks on pretty quickly.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think I have a solution to overcome GPS woes:

Google Maps is always quick to get a fix, even when unused for days... so I now fire it up a couple of minutes before running Sports Tracker or Nokia Maps, and they must piggyback off the Google info to get their data as they now work well with Google Maps running at the same time.
A bit futile for pure GPS location but for Sports Tracker it's perfect.
Somehow my HRM is working well too, I gave up on it a couple of weeks ago but maybe the extra sweat from warmer weather is helping out.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do you guys mount your phone onto your bike? Does it work in your hydration pack? My garmin etrex wouldn't work in my pack so I imagine the GPS phone won't either.

I'm looking at getting the Nokia 6720 and running sports tracker.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
The GPS accuracy is much better if you mount it on your handle bars compared to inside the hydration pack. If you have a mesh pocket it will work ok on the hydration pack. I used an old vinyl phone cover and cable tied the belt clip to the handle bars for my Nokia 6210.

It would be nice if Nokia added support this Bluetooth Heart rate monitor in Sports tracker software. There seems a fair bit of discussion about this kind of product on the forums, so maybe they will.

http://www.mobimotion.com/index.php?id=ueberblick&L=1