Aaron Gwin Hit By Truck.... He's OK

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
News From Vital MTB 20/12/2011

At 2:42pm today, Aaron Gwin sent a text saying he had to cancel our filming plans tomorrow because he "just got hit by a truck on the road." He sustained no major injuries, just scrapes and road rash.

"The Bontrager wheel took the hit for me! The guy rear ended me at like 40 and that's all that happened. My back and elbows are pretty raw, but I'm all good. I was just riding up the side of the road to the trail head. I guess the guy wasn't paying attention and wanted to share the bike lane," Aaron said jokingly.

We're glad you're ok Aaron!

Pic: Aaron Gwin's Trek Slash after being hit by a truck going about 40mph.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Geez he's lucky! I guess all that time on a downhill bike does make you control that much better.......even against a truck!

jcue

Squid
i guess u have to also worry bout getting injured on the way to the trails aswel as there.
Glad to see to Gwin didn't get hurt that bad.

youngi

Likes Bikes
Road riding is so dangerous, that's why I'm sticking to dh. Thanks Gwin for helping me prove a point to my mum.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Wow very lucky indeed!! Pays to be on board with the Lord! Scary, the thought of a truck speeding up behind him may make him even faster next season..

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
i guess u have to also worry bout getting injured on the way to the trails aswel as there.
Glad to see to Gwin didn't get hurt that bad.
I think the chance of sustaining a proper life threatening injury on the way to the trail would be higher than while riding.

Glad to hear he's OK, I'm trying to picture a truck hitting someone and wrecking a rim that bad, and the rider only getting a few grazes. No matter how I try to look at it, it involves levitation.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Wow very lucky indeed!! Pays to be on board with the Lord! Scary, the thought of a truck speeding up behind him may make him even faster next season..
Well...I'm on board with Cthulhu, and never have I been hit by an octopus while on the trail...

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
Road riding is so dangerous, that's why I'm sticking to dh. Thanks Gwin for helping me prove a point to my mum.
haha, im still trying to convince my mum of that, doesnt want a bar of it... its true though, if your on the road your only crashes are either gonna be losing traction on a turn or getting mowed by a car. may be a small chance of it happening but it occasionally haunts me deeply.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Ya, the only difference was Rachel was riding head down on the wrong side of the road.
With earphones in playing music loud.

Nah, bro, she's an Atherton, there that farkinn good she can do what she wants..just keeping up the standards i guess :02.47-tranquillity:

And I love how Gwinny tells us how his Bontrager wheel took the hit and pretty much saved his life...maybe the truck driver was Lance, and gave Aaron a $10 000 pay rise to pull this off without getting hurt then to talk up his products? :p

In all seriousness: glad he's ok!!

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha, im still trying to convince my mum of that, doesnt want a bar of it... its true though, if your on the road your only crashes are either gonna be losing traction on a turn or getting mowed by a car. may be a small chance of it happening but it occasionally haunts me deeply.
I'm currently looking into getting a road bike for some fitness for my downhill riding. I first mentioned it to my mum when we were driving back to Queensland from a Christmas visit to the relatives. Literally 20 minutes after we'd talked about it we see an ambo and a guy who'd been on a road bike in a neck brace and his bike wrapped over the guard rail... first time she's ever said stick to downhill because it's probably safer haha

Odinn

Likes Bikes
I wonder how big the truck was, if it was a fbt Id be guessing the driver wouldnt have even felt him in front, very lucky rider to only trash a rear wheel or is there more damage I cant see. either way lucky I reckon.

Robb