Adjustable Seat Posts

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Sup People.

I was wondering if I could get a hand to help me choose a dropper.

I want to get a 30.9mm dropper post for my Santa Cruz Blur Lt2 But don't really want to spend more than $300

Whats the best one I can find in that price range? or is it worth saving up longer and getting a pricier one?

Cheers!

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Sup People.

I was wondering if I could get a hand to help me choose a dropper.

I want to get a 30.9mm dropper post for my Santa Cruz Blur Lt2 But don't really want to spend more than $300

Whats the best one I can find in that price range? or is it worth saving up longer and getting a pricier one?

Cheers!
The KS dropzone will come in under $300. I have one and they do require a little maintenance, and i have had mine repaired under warranty, but i like the feel better than my girlfriends reverb stealth. Talk to Al (nerf herder) and he'll be able to give you some more info and sort you out. But for a budget under $300 i think that's the go.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that.

I was thinking the dropzone or the x fusion hilo. The hilo is only $200 but I haven't heard enough about them to make a judgement call.

Does anyone know the differences between the Dropzone, Supernatural and the Lev?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Does anyone know the differences between the Dropzone, Supernatural and the Lev?
in simple terms
E-Ten Remote = 15mm offset, steel internals adds a little more weight circa 700g ... 1 bolt security ($210) (remote only at this stage)
Dropzone = 15mm offset saddle slamp ... 1 bolt security adds about 40g to the Supernatural (approx 620g) ... same internals as the Supernatural ($285 remote), specific remote or Lever versions only, if you buy a lever version and want to convert to a remote then you have to replace the entire saddle clamp assembly.
Supernatural = zero offset ... 2 bolt security circa 580g ($340 remote) - relatively easy to convert lever to remote and vice versa.
* both the above have cable actuation at the saddle
** Take off approx $50 for lever versions
LEV = zero offset, 2 bolt micro adjustment, static cable actuation, ($480)
LEV Integra is the internally routed post ... slightly cheaper then the LEV ... stock is a little low but building this up given the popularity. ($420 from memory TBC)
LEV carbon (circa $720 to $750) Due late Dec 2013, mid Jan 2014.

Definitely worth saving up and heading as high up the model range as you can ... static cable IMO is worth paying extra for. That said, The Dropzone is great value and a tired and true post, if you don't care about weight then the E-Ten is a great entry level post with KS reliability and local Pushie support

Best to ask at your fav local ... lots of retailers around now, and if you happen on one that won't order for you or doesnt have time to google, then jeebus head elsewhere or contact Pushie.

x3foz

Likes Bikes
i love second hand parts

hahaha i just went for a first ride with a new second hand reverb dropper post and i love it. i purchased of a fellow member for around half retail price and its hardly been used:thumb::Banane20:

my02

Likes Dirt
hahaha i just went for a first ride with a new second hand reverb dropper post and i love it. i purchased of a fellow member for around half retail price and its hardly been used:thumb::Banane20:
Cool story bro. Mum and Dad buy it for you?

Back on track, many thumbs up for the support from Pushie. Excellent response and action.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Just giving this thread a quick bump as it's the most expansive on the topic of dropper posts. I'm having issues with my KS Lev 150mm. It's experiencing significant stiction in the early parts of its travel. So far, it's been on about 6-7 rides, and it's been impossible to use properly. The majority of times, it'll just drop ~1cm and then return as expected. Every now and again it actually goes through it's entire travel, but it's definitely a rarity.

I can't actually figure out what could be going wrong - it was bought new (from an Aus retailer). The lever actuation seems to be working perfectly (removing the cap shows that the lever is pulling down fully and smoothly). I had initially thought that the torque of the seat collar might be high (i'd used the 7nm as recommended by KS), so have since dropped it to 5, 4, and 3. I'm using fiber grip on the post and am unwilling to really drop the torque any lower as the post itself starts to slip

So - where to from here? Is it straight back to the retailer? (sigh)

ChopSticks

Banned
Had a similar issue

try unweighting it (saddle)

press lever

then sit on it!!

One Lev I had wouldn't drop under weight....
Only when I unweighted it and then applied the weight would it drop

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Had a similar issue

try unweighting it (saddle)

press lever

then sit on it!!

One Lev I had wouldn't drop under weight....
Only when I unweighted it and then applied the weight would it drop
Yeah - I've been giving that a go as well but to no avail. I definitely had to unweight it before it would go down, but still only 1cm most frequently :(

ChopSticks

Banned
Yeah - I've been giving that a go as well but to no avail. I definitely had to unweight it before it would go down, but still only 1cm most frequently :(
Def not normal !

give Al a call
new shipment of Levs and parts just arrived
So he most prob can fix it for you

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Just giving this thread a quick bump as it's the most expansive on the topic of dropper posts. I'm having issues with my KS Lev 150mm. It's experiencing significant stiction in the early parts of its travel. So far, it's been on about 6-7 rides, and it's been impossible to use properly. The majority of times, it'll just drop ~1cm and then return as expected. Every now and again it actually goes through it's entire travel, but it's definitely a rarity.

I can't actually figure out what could be going wrong - it was bought new (from an Aus retailer). The lever actuation seems to be working perfectly (removing the cap shows that the lever is pulling down fully and smoothly). I had initially thought that the torque of the seat collar might be high (i'd used the 7nm as recommended by KS), so have since dropped it to 5, 4, and 3. I'm using fiber grip on the post and am unwilling to really drop the torque any lower as the post itself starts to slip

So - where to from here? Is it straight back to the retailer? (sigh)
Hiya, best to email info@pushie.com.au and we can work with you to see if it needs to be sent to Pushie for repair or just requires some basic servicing.
Pushie is happy to deal direct for both service, spares and warranty repairs

Some common things to look out for presuming it wasn't like this out of the box and likely after some wet rides the puppy may have been left unridden, allowing the teflon coated DU to dry up. It was a wet start to summer and then the hot spell over Christmas so could be as simple as needing a relube.

what you have to do is relube the seal collar and DU.
i) The best way to do this is to unwind the seal collar. put a light smear of something like Slickoleum on the stanchion both above and below the seal collar and cycle the seal collar up and down a few times.
ii) the aim here is to get a build up of slicko under the seal collar and above the silver (DU/washer), whilst also coating the stanchion with the lube. Now you need to cycle the post through its travel with the aim of getting the nicely slicko'd stanchion moving increasingly past the DU and relube the teflon coating. The More travel you get moving past the DU the faster this service will be.

Given your description this may take some time as the post will initially resist moving but increasingly start to free up as the slicko / stanchion starts to move further past the Du and therefore lube the puppy.

If you are having difficulty getting the stanchion to move past the DU enough to lube it ... you will need to remove the cartridge and manually cycle the DU/washer up and down the stanchion by hand.

This video show your how to remove the cart. Up to about 3.25mins on the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYjhtPFZ4I

If you are not confident with following the video then I recommend sending it into Pushie. If in doubt send it in as the factory trained techs will give it a once over.

All posts need service, particularly after wet rides. This is purely to keep contact points well lubed and remove the build up of grit that could cause premature wear. We recommend applying a light smear of Slickoleum above and below the seal collar once a month or after wet rides. This keeps the DU nice and lubed and is the best thing you can do to keep your post buttery smooth regardless of post brand or model.

Al

p.s Not sure how the saddle clamp bolts or fibre grip would affect any of the above BTW. however note: use the recommended torque setting for the saddle bolts ... don't over torque as this can cause warping of the top clamp plate and lead to creaking and move over torquing of the bolts trying to stop the creak. More often creaks are related to the mast moving in the seat tube ... fibre grip if great for this and we have had success with slicko here as well. If you are experiencing the unknown creak ... check your seat tube first ... give your frame seat tube stay a clean, use fibre grip / carbon paste or a light smear of lube like slicko and viola.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Hi Al - thanks for the post.. i've got to pop into the LBS today so will pick up some Slickoleum or equivalent and give it a whirl under the collar to start with. The post hasn't seen any wet weather as of yet and it's been a bit sticky since I first purchased it. Funnily enough, I did a quick 3.5 hour ride yesterday and the post was working properly i'd say 7 out of 10 attempts - significantly better than normal. But, the night before, I couldn't get it to drop at all! I'm completely stumped haha

I'll let you know how I get on..

PS, i was referring to the seat post clamp as opposed to the saddle rail clamp :)

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
PS, i was referring to the seat post clamp as opposed to the saddle rail clamp :)
Haa haa ... that makes more sense was scratching my head there :)

Was thinking about this last night and maybe there is some grime or build up of grease on the guide rod channels in the mast itself ... this may stop it from lowering ?? is this the main problem or is it both lowering and raising ??

If lowering then maybe its got some shizzle blocking the guide rods ?? if its both Lowering and raising then its likely the DU so a good clean and relube will sort both issues.

The only other thing I could think of was to clean out your seat tube stay, maybe even a light sand ... grasping but maybe there are some imperfections or build up of grime and such which might be causing overtightening of the mast ... even if the seat clamp is not overly tight ... a big grasp.

best to email if the slicko and clean doesnt sort it ... I'm not on here as often as I'd like sorry

Silverstreak

Likes Bikes
Big thanks to Nerf Herder for hooking me up with one of these:

He was very patient with my questions. Not to mention I only ordered yesterday and had it in my hands this arvo! It's the perfect length too. Post is in to maximum insertion and is perfect height. I'll give it a few work outs over the next few weeks and report back on how it goes.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
OK - the relube seems to have worked... well, at least so far in the 'workshop'. Will update on the trail performance as soon as i can get out!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been looking at some AM bikes and I've got my eye on a bike within my budget which has a standard seatpost, the model above has a dropper post but is out of my price range!

The bike that has the dropper has a RockShox Reverb Stealth which I see retails for about $450 (CRC). Are there any alternatives that do the same job in a lower price bracket?

I think I would prefer handlebar operation compared to an under seat lever.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A mate of mine has had his for about a week. Seems to be a good thing. The only negative he has found so far, is because it is mechanical and uses a pin, to raise the seat it helps to sit on the seat to unweight it.

It is about 70grams heavier than his reverb on his other bike and was $80 delivered!!
Option for those on a budget. Update, my mate's is about 6 months old and hasn't missed a beat. It is slightly heavier than most and you have to unweight the post to get it to return, but otherwise the mechanical pin operation has been perfect.

Edit: see next post for pictures, doh!!

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know this thread is pretty much a rolling commercial for KS, but I've just ordered one of these
View attachment 264686
I've read in a few posts on other forums about stripping down and greasing prior to instal - any one used one of these and any known issues?
Cheaper alternative to most on the market. Little heavier than most but mt mate has had his for 6 months without any hassles.