Advocating For Legal Trails In Campbelltown NSW

Have you been able to deal with your counsil successfully

• Total voters

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Campbelltown council did not build a motorcross track.
The track at Appin is on private land. MDMCS (macarthur district motorcycle sportsmen) dirt bike club now owns the land and does as they please on it.

A few years ago the land at Appin was going to be sold for development but people in the club put up there own money and bought the land and it has since been a very succesful motorcycle complex.

Have you tried contacting them? Maybe leasing some of there land or getting a track set up for MTB. I believe something like this would be the best option as they can do as they please on there land and have all the equipment to quickly and easily build a track.

I believe the MTB community just needs to pull together form a large group to be affiliated with and put some preassure on. The dirt bikers have this to a degree with the DSMRA (dual sport motor riders association).
Take a lead from the moto guys.

wizzy

Cannon Fodder
I can ride from Ruse to Macquarie fields with a bar minimum of riding on sealed roads!

But yeah, if you need any help let me know. My friends and I would be quite willing to help. It might be good for some 20+ year olds to approach the council aswell.

Josh

scuba05

Likes Dirt
thanks, will take it into consideration Both of you.
About having some older people coming down n seein the counsil n stuff, me mate knows heaps of ppl, many of them race DH, one of which is the national champion for hardtails, and they will prob more than likely come down with us.
I see where your going with askin the people out at appin bout buildin sumfin ther, i think i know the spot your talking, bout, and im sure me mates do 2. Il ask em c i they think its good 4 MTB tracks, cause we would promarily be buildin DH and FR stuff. You may have heard of the dvd made by the ppl round here riding at thredbo n stuff, we can easily get in contact with them, and im sure they willl be more than willing to help with the building of the tracks n stuff.
Thanks

pyley

NSWMTB
who are you and who's your mate...???..call me...0421 730 720...im a glenfielder....id love to help....

p.s those guys your talkin about....thats us i think...

Last edited:

wizzy

Cannon Fodder
Interesting. Will have to look into it a bit further. Sounds like a bit of fun.

Start at Casula, then head to Wollongong.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is my first post on Farkin so lets get the formalities out of the way.

Well I'm the Comic Book Guy and that's because he and me have way too much in common. I live in Ruse, am 41 years old (so that just puts me in the 20+ category that someone mentioned earlier :D ). I try to do at least three rides a week around Peter Meadows Ck, Kentlyn, Smiths Ck, Airds, St Helens Park, Noorumba Reserve and Wedderburn. Other activities include bushwalking (yes, I am a tree hugger) and geocaching (WTF?:confused: ).

For what it's worth here's my 2cents worth.

Scuba05 you are on the right track. I have been thinking along similar lines for some time now. We should have somewhere for people to go and try and kill themselves for fun:D.

I have some thoughts and suggestions for achieving your goal.

1. Stay the distance, there is no way this would happen overnight so if you intend on proceeding be prepared for a sustained effort over a long period of time.

2. Talk to Council. I have dealt with Council before on conservation and reserve management issues and they are very approachable. Approach council as a group with representatives of the various mtb flavours. As to councils feelings on mtb riding I am not sure but they have banned mtb riding on the Old Ford Rd, so that's one hell of a downhill that is now off the ride list. This could play to your advantage as an example of the reduction in facilities as a cause of illegal trails.
But don't stop there, write to Graham West (State) and Pat Farmer (Federal) and see if you could get them involved. Maybe send them a copy of any petition. Trust me there is nothing like a "do it for the kids" news story to attract a politician, it's like flies to crap. And pollies have "slush funds" for their electorates.
Hit the newspapers to see if they can do a story about the lack of facilities and the "horrifying" dangers and "terrible" damage from illegal trail building.
The petition is a great idea. Generate public interest in your cause. It adds weight to your claims of a genuine need for proper trail infrastructure.

3. Location...Location...Location, Greenies, NIMBY and Petrol Pixies.
Someone mentioned the skate park. The skate park is great idea and has what every real estate agent will tell you is essential, that is location...location...location. I know where the Peter Meadows stuff was and it was in a bad location, is it any surprise it was found you could see it very easily from the road. And I hate to be the bringer of bad news but the northshore stuff in Kentlyn is also well known (BTW and fun to ride on:D ).
Finding a location will be a problem, getting access to bush areas will be next to impossible so another location will need to be found.
Don't fight the tree huggers embrace them, get them on side about trying to remove illegal trails and how good it will be for the koalas, bushwalkers and tree huggers in general. Also, never underestimate their political power, connections and advocacy skills. If off-side they can be formidable foes, just ask the people organising the riding trail work in the Royal National Park how much fun some of the organised greenies have been.
NIMBY or Not In My BackYard. The skate park is an ideal example of placement as it is not located close to any houses. So there was not much that could be said about disturbing the neighbours. Local resistance will be a problem if a proposed area is too near housing, this will further constrain prospects for a park development.
Ensure that you clearly differentiate mtb from petrol pixies (aka motorbikes). Motorbikes are a serious pest in the area and many people percieve mtb to be as bad as motorbikes. This link needs to be broken as early as possible and repeated at every oppportunity to ensure a clear differentiation.

4. Public Liability.
As a committee member and walk leader for a bushwalking club I am very aware of the pain in the arse that public liability has become. Luckily the Civil Liabilities Act 2003 has helped out but I can assure you that public liability will be a major issue for council to consider. As mentioned earlier this can be overcome by signage, proper construction and maintenance but this may be a sticking point for council.

5. Random Thoughts.
Have you considered having a meeting of interested people. How about a ride day? It seems to me that some people who have participated in this forum are keen to get involved. Maybe they could be part of the representative group that approaches council.
The advice from FR Drew and Astroboy is right on the money. Read and absorb.
Forming a Macarthur MTB Club would give significant legitimacy to any approach to council but this is a major undertaking that would require a lot of organising and work. Are you or anyone else in a position to do this?
Think about the message you are trying to get across and repeat it at every opportunity.

Wow, look at all this crap I've written. You would think I was a lawyer or something :eek: , thankfully I'm not a lawyer. I hope that my thoughts may have been of some use and haven't put you off. If I think of anything else then I'll post it in this thread.

Cheers,
CBG

P.S. If you are looking for ride info try http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gammapisigma/mtb.php . It's been a work in progress for some time now so be gentle with me as it is a looooong way from finished.

i think having a big bike meet would be a great idea and start pounding into the councils head that there are alot of riders around campbelltown and close by that would like to have a legal mb track.:D if the council can understand that it is something that lots of people like doing they may consider it such as the skate park in woodbine.:p skaters and bmx riders all have there owne park us mountainbikers shhould have our owne park for us to ride.:cool:

V.B9

Likes Bikes
That sounds like the typical councel always givin ya a hard time. Good luck man hope they give ya a break:)

same here:D . i hope it works so then we are able to build sick trails and junk like that, without us worring that it is going to get knocked down byu the council. It really sucks when we have our made tracks ripped down:mad: . if it was me i would have smashed the council for doing that lol:p .

chris_mtb

Banned
i would love to help so would a few of my mates we might be only 15 but we would help build and shit also were would you wont to build in campbelltown

hammered

Likes Dirt
hey mate

keen 17 year old from MT annan here eager to get a quality track up and running around the campbelltown area.
What ever happened to the kentlyn track, i would say that land is still vacant isnt it ?

But if the potition doesnt work , i would give pyley a ring , best choise i ever made with mountain biking seeing as we go all over the place to ride every weekend

feel free to drop a PM and hook up for a ride

laters

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Look. At the moment, we would be happy to get anywere.
We have found a couple of places we might like.

If the council fails, we shall be approaching Cataract Scout park to try and see if they would like to build a DH track n stuff out at their land. If we were able to get stuff going out there with a DH track n shit, it would be really helpful as there are many people in our district who like a bit of DH, and also there is accomidation out there for people who are coming from elsewhere or sumfin.

If you know of any other places that a DH track and a cupla FR drops could be made in the Macarthur area, please let us know and we mit go ave a geez at them.

Scuba

Last edited:

chris_mtb

Banned
ok first of all can anyone tell me where kentlyn is/around i live around the area but dunno where any of the trails are

mtb_slipknot_fan

Likes Dirt
ok first of all can anyone tell me where kentlyn is/around i live around the area but dunno where any of the trails are
once u go past the roundabout on georges river road (end of airds) is kentlyn n trails r everywhere just have look theres not much hectic crap out there any more thou there kinda gettin old or destroyed:mad: i to would like to know if the is any mad shit out there i dont know about :cool: cheers.

well out there is a 10 foot drop and there is also a harder 8 foot drop thats got a distance to the ramp is about 10 to 11 feet away from the rock. only 2 people i know have done the ten and one belted them self on an old ralei. the ten has a short area to stop urself but.:D

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Updated Petitions

Gday Again,
I have finally dropped of the petition at camden cycles, so go wriet urself down there now if u want
I have checked on the now closed down Bike Mason in Queen St Campbelltown and they had about 70 names, but i now have the task of retrieving the list:S:S
I have received a letter back from the council saying something about the idea going before a sports commitee or sumfin.
Just thought u might wanna know bout that

Scuba

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Myself and Sammydog are currently in negotiations with Newcastle council to obtain a legal area and possibly funding to create a trail network in the Lake Maquarie area.

87seca

Squid
Hey guys, not long joined the site, hell of a read you have there. Am from the campbelltown area (ingleburn).
I really think that you are going down the right path with the council. From what I have seen in other places I have lived, they can be the end of you. Worse thing they can say is no..
But anything I can do to help you guys out just let me know...