Age is no boundary!

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a 27 year old, I probably don't quite qualify for the 'age is no boundary' thing, but it is really inspiring and comforting for me reading about the 'older' people who still ride.

It is reasonably noticeable that cycling in general is not necessarily a young persons sport, given that many of the more competitive cyclists (road/mtb) are in their early thirties (as opposed to say swimming where they are much younger).

Which means I am still looking forward to hitting my peak, and staying on the bike for 40+ years more!!!

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Was watching some skate show on Fuel TV the other day, and this young pro kid (early 20's) was telling the show how cool his skate park was. "Yeah, it's a really cool, laid back place where everyone gets on. After 5pm the "O.G.'s" come down and they just rip - great to learn from"...

What are "O.G.'s" I thought to myself... hmmmm with the reference to "after 5pm" I reckon he was referring to Old Guys

Ha ha ha I'm an O.G. and I'm doing my first downhill race on Saturday :D

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
What are "O.G.'s" I thought to myself... hmmmm with the reference to "after 5pm" I reckon he was referring to Old Guys

Ha ha ha I'm an O.G. and I'm doing my first downhill race on Saturday :D
I think the phrase means "Original Gangster" but the sentiment is the same ;)

I just got my first Trials bike when I turned 36 some months ago & can now stay on the back wheel for nearly a minute. It kills the aging back muscles though :eek:

devilmachine

Likes Dirt
I'm 33, twice in the 10 years iv been riding iv made the mistake of not having a bike to escape the mundane with. I moved to perth six months ago for work and the first thing I packed was my hardtail and riding gear. can always buy more cothes but "bike fit" is something that takes abit of tweaking to achieve. Still had to pay $70 excess baggage, twice. Wish Id brought over my old Dh rig aswell now. Bottom line is, until the day I die i'l never be without a bike again, and even then they'l haver to pry the handle bars from my cold, dead fingers!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I'm 38 and only took up riding a few years back for health.

I was amazed when I met an ancient fellow crawling along on an ancient bike obviously riding to the shops. Must have been around 90... was pretty deaf but really cool. We discussed some issues with his worn bike and rode on.

Made me think at what age will I stop riding?

JP

Likes Dirt
I'm 34. I find the majority of people I meet on the trail are over 30. I regularly ride with a 45 and a 59 year old. How about getting some Old Pharts rides cracking?

Last edited:

old4dy

Likes Dirt
hey JP

if you want to hook up for some riding pm me
I live in Lithgow area, lots of different trails also short track DH runs in Lidsdale State Forest just west of lithgow.
I am an old fart also

CTMBC has organised regular sunday races XC and DH
there is a race this sunday ( mothers day)

XC starts around 10 am DH starts about 12 (best of two runs)
Costs are $5 plus day licence $15

All classes catered for from juniors to old farts

Last edited:

axertes

Likes Dirt
I find the majority of people I meet on the trail are over 30.
Yep.

I'm 23, by the way.

Older people are better people.

Edit: usually. Except for stupid old c**ts. I realised that was an overgeneralisation.

Edit 2:
How about getting some Old Pharts rides cracking?
Why discriminate? Why not get some rides cracking with whom you relate? My post above might be an indicator, but people like me might just relate better to people older than us.

Last edited:

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride with lots of guys over 40 from the LBS because i'm friends with their son's and the owner rides an 07 shore 1 and he is 58. We ride lots of places like oxford falls and other freeride, downhill tracks. ( SECRET )

They should make a Farkin General for 40 plus.

Last edited:

Dug

Likes Dirt
I'm 36. I find the majority of people I meet on the trail are over 30. I regularly ride with a 45 and a 59 year old. How about getting some Old Pharts rides cracking?
I find most people over 40 are over it:p AND just getting on with the good bit:cool:

stinkybigmacc

Likes Dirt
I'm 34 and only started riding downhill 4 years ago. I've been a roadie for the past 20 years but after blowing my knees out a couple of times I can't pedal so well anymore so a mate of mine suggested downhill! Never looked back since. The funniset thing though was the look on my father's face when I asked to build some dirt jumps in his backyard. 15 odd jumps built since that day and the old man loves it when me, my buddies and their kids come over to hit the jumps. The only thing that'll stop me from riding is when I don't wake up one morning!

fezi

Likes Dirt
I'm certanly not "old" at 32. But I ride occasionally with a bunch of old blokes.... eldeset was around 68 last time I was game to ask. Most of em are reasonable but one fella would shame most reasonably fit younger folk. They all ride at at good level in the skills department as well. Piss funny hearing about their "current" health issues a well!

Howie66

Likes Dirt
I'm 35 and haven't ridden since 2005 when I troweled my bike and myself at Thredbo.

To be perfectly honest I don't miss it much. I can't afford it, or time off work and medical bills anyway.

Right now I'm enjoying getting fat on the money I'm not spending on bikes and antagonising farkin.net members with my bitterness and negativity.

Mind you, there must be something that stops me selling my bikes and keeps me hanging around here.

Im 27 and just starting to get into DH

In 8 years if I have an attitude like yours il punch myself in the face, In 8 years I dont care if im broke, on my 20th DH bike, with broken bones..

Cos i know i'll have a big fat smile on my face..:D

Money isnt everything. In fact I hate money. Its the root of all evil.

When your too old to even move, sitting in your rocking chair, watching the sun go down.. Think of all the fun you "could" of had with all that money your taking to the grave with you..

Manuel

Squid
I'm 27 and I admit that I've taken it easy on the riskier riding, I see things I did a few years ago and think myself insane to even consider doing it now.

It doesn't stop me from getting out there on the bike, but I play it a little cautiously these days.

Having said that, riding around Sydney using all the cycleways we have from Liverpool to Parra (M7, Prospect Canal and adjoining paths), I see heaps of older guys (60's and 70's) who are still fit and enjoying their bikes and free time!

For the fitness perspective alone I've vowed to never give it up.

kro

Cannon Fodder
The only thing that'll stop me from riding is when I don't wake up one morning!

i'm 49 and the only thing that stops me from riding is when i can't get up in the morning

Hack

Likes Bikes
My dad is 48 and broke his collar bone riding 2 years ago. Tore a ligament in his finger later that year and needed surgey and he still rides. Only thing that stopped him racing at Del Rio was a crash in practice the left him not walking for a few days. My mum rides dh too. She is 51. She hasn't riden in a while due to a kneww replacement. She loves it just as much. They are to examples of age is no boundary

Oscar