ALDI - 36pc Bike Tool Kit (Im not even joking)

binner

Hath shat hymself
buy up

the best buy from Aldi are their melting moment biscuts, cheap and ohhh so good with a cup of coffee...... mmmm mmmm

I gotta get me some of those Crane pants, who needs anymore kids, bring em on

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Had very mixed results with aldi tools. Bought a $9 angle grinder, which had as much longevity as a disposable razor. Their drill press is sweet, works really nicely at significantly lower cost than opposition. Table saw was good apart from one part of the guide which sucked, still we managed to cut skirting boards for the entire house on it so it worked rather well. Metal cut off saw is great for coarse work, but for exact cuts is a bit variable. So aldi isn't quite get what you pay for, more like buying a lottery ticket-some stuff works beautifully, other stuff is terrible. Although I would avoid those bike shorts if I were you, I can't see a way for it to end well.
I've had similar experiences but that looks like the same box with the same parts, so theres a very high chance its the same as the Super B kit made in the same factory.

A mate and myself had had these kits for years, and while the tyre levers and little wrench's and stuff might not last too long, all the bits you might use heaps (pedal spanner, spoke key, allen keys) will all be good enough to get you out of trouble, and the bits you don't use heaps will last a while's anyway.

If you want to save some coin by skipping the LBS and fixing things yourself this is an excellent start.

However that aldi mini bike pump is not very good at all, much better off going and buying a real one.

song

Likes Dirt
You all have to remember nearly every budget mountain bike tool, has been made in China or Taiwan, then the price of the tool depends on what brand is been printed on the handles etc. I bought a $40 full tool kit about this time last year from Torpedo7 and it's working out great and it looks almost identical to this one in Aldi (this tool box has more tools).
But to me at the end of the day a tool is just a tool, i mean how much difference can there be between a so call "good tool" and a "bad tool", at the end of the day a tool is just a tool. Yes you may feel a quality difference between a better tool compared to a cheaper tool, all it has to do is complete the job you desired.

S.

ex offender
Stay the hell away from ANYTHING in Aldi that isn't edible... and even if it is edible, be wary!

Those tool kits are, frankly, total piles of shit. They include all sorts of massively outdated tools you'll never need (as someone mentioned before, flat spanners for threaded headsets? Who has a threaded headset on a real bike that's been made in the last 15 years?), that are made from the equivalent of warm cheese. Often tools like that aren't even stamped, let alone forged, they're cast. The equivalent would be having a bike frame made out of plastic.

Honestly man, $50 should get you a good set of allen keys and half a nice hammer. Cheap tools are absolutely NOT worth your money. Want to do something productive with that $50? Gamble it away at the pokies. At least that way there's a small chance you might actually get something back for it.

But to me at the end of the day a tool is just a tool, i mean how much difference can there be between a so call "good tool" and a "bad tool", at the end of the day a tool is just a tool. Yes you may feel a quality difference between a better tool compared to a cheaper tool, all it has to do is complete the job you desired.
No, no no no no no NO! The difference isn't in the quality that you "feel" when you use it. Good tools are better in all the things they DON'T do:
- They DON'T break
- They DON'T wear out fast
- They DON'T damage the stuff you're working on
- They DON'T skin your knuckles when they slip and/or snap
- They DON'T make you regret your purchase 5 years/months/minutes down the track
- They DON'T force you to go and purchase another better set of tools later, thus increasing the total price you pay

Everyone buys cheap tools thinking "Well I'll probably only use it once or twice". The reality is, if you ever have a need for a tool once, it's likely you'll need it again for the same reason. That mentality is like buying a shit sleeping bag because so far you're only planning to use it this weekend. Once you've got it, you'll use it again, and you'll hate yourself for not buying the right stuff the first time.

Last edited:

smokeybear

Likes Bikes
Razor scooters have threaded headsets.......I have kids= usless spanners have a use.

All those inferior quality tools that ride retro fixies need all the old school inferior tools to tool on their fixies.

I have a super B kit, it works well. I have a bunch of Aldi tools, they all work well. If you buy cheaper grade tools be aware they may sometimes fail, if you use some basic common sense you can see if they're an issue. If a problem starts to occur cease using the tool and replace it with a higher quality item. You can repair a lot of stuff over a long period and be served well and stay within a reasonable budget.

Hyundai's and Holdens aren't Aldi's oops Audi's and Aston's but they work well for lots of people. If you can afford it get the good stuff, if you can't work within your budget.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Fark ... Jim is that you ???

Man you sound like my Father In-Law.:)

I have not regretted my cheapo set ... and admittedly, I have stuffed up a bolt or two, and rounded a couple of the little allen key bolts ... and still don't know what at least 3 of the tools are actually for ... but the tools that I do use have more then paid off the other tools and the replacement of said broken thingies.

I bought mine knowing they were not tradesmen quality ... and I use them accordingly.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
...i mean how much difference can there be between a so call "good tool" and a "bad tool", at the end of the day a tool is just a tool... all it has to do is complete the job you desired.
There's a massive difference between good and bad tools, even between the Chinese made tools. Just ask anyone who works with tools as part of their job, like me. A tool has to do the job, it has to do it properly, without making you struggle, without damaging the part and without destroying itself in the process. These tools might all look the same, but that doesn't mean they are the same. Being forged in the same mold is just a tiny part of the process.

song

Likes Dirt
There's a massive difference between good and bad tools, even between the Chinese made tools. Just ask anyone who works with tools as part of their job, like me. A tool has to do the job, it has to do it properly, without making you struggle, without damaging the part and without destroying itself in the process. These tools might all look the same, but that doesn't mean they are the same. Being forged in the same mold is just a tiny part of the process.
Ye of course there is a difference and of course you want a good set of tools especially if it's your job! But if your just a rider who just occasionally does some tweeking with the bike why spend $400 for a good tool kit? why not invest that $400 on better parts for your bike.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Stay the hell away from ANYTHING in Aldi that isn't edible... and even if it is edible, be wary!

Those tool kits are, frankly, total piles of shit. They include all sorts of massively outdated tools you'll never need (as someone mentioned before, flat spanners for threaded headsets? Who has a threaded headset on a real bike that's been made in the last 15 years?), that are made from the equivalent of warm cheese. Often tools like that aren't even stamped, let alone forged, they're cast. The equivalent would be having a bike frame made out of plastic.

Honestly man, $50 should get you a good set of allen keys and half a nice hammer. Cheap tools are absolutely NOT worth your money. Want to do something productive with that $50? Gamble it away at the pokies. At least that way there's a small chance you might actually get something back for it.

No, no no no no no NO! The difference isn't in the quality that you "feel" when you use it. Good tools are better in all the things they DON'T do:
- They DON'T break
- They DON'T wear out fast
- They DON'T damage the stuff you're working on
- They DON'T skin your knuckles when they slip and/or snap
- They DON'T make you regret your purchase 5 years/months/minutes down the track
- They DON'T force you to go and purchase another better set of tools later, thus increasing the total price you pay

Everyone buys cheap tools thinking "Well I'll probably only use it once or twice". The reality is, if you ever have a need for a tool once, it's likely you'll need it again for the same reason. That mentality is like buying a shit sleeping bag because so far you're only planning to use it this weekend. Once you've got it, you'll use it again, and you'll hate yourself for not buying the right stuff the first time.
I have to admit that after using my mates tool to fix my bike/car going back to my el-cheapo socket wrench and side cutters etc. sucks. This same guy was willing to spend 900 bucks on a decent tool set for the common items (sockets, spanners, allen keys, hammers etc.) and still couldn't justify spending the dosh on park tool equipment that he'd only use every once in a while.

I would advise spending good money on good quality tools that you use every day. For bike tools, well, my super B set has served me fairly well.

I can however recommend getting a good quality BB removal tool, one that goes the whole way around the BB and allows you to fit a decent length lever to. Can really help with getting those nasty BB's off.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
Agreed.

5 years ago I bought a Pedro's Allen key set which cost almost $200. I have never regretted it for a second. They are/were/will be a brilliant set of tools that have not changed since the day I bought them.

As everyone else has said, cheap tools get cheap results.

Buy well, buy once is my theory.
:cool:

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The quality of the tools in a blokes toolbox directly represent both his intelligence and mechanical aptitude.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I know Park and Pedros are generally at the 'upper' end of the tool quality spectrum but what is the general consensus on the 'Pro' brand? (Example).

At last check, it was a derivative of Shimano so I assume that quality wouldn't be too bad...?

dilstubs

Likes Dirt

Yes, PRO are quite good and last a long while, I have a Torx(is it?) and crank tool that are both PRO brand and haven't looked like breaking themselves or rounding the crank bolt and rotor bolts.

Lorday

Eats Squid
I know Park and Pedros are generally at the 'upper' end of the tool quality spectrum but what is the general consensus on the 'Pro' brand? (Example).

At last check, it was a derivative of Shimano so I assume that quality wouldn't be too bad...?
I have a few PRO branded tools. They are great IMO. Not as pretty as parktool stuff (read less shiney and less blue) but cannot fault them.