All Mountain Tyres

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Try the big 2.35 nobby nic in trailstar up front.
I have to say I`m impressed with the grip of the revamped nobby nic . I was having problems with the front of the XC bike and decided to take a punt with the 2.35 nobby nic . Sticks well and I don`t notice any rolling resistance . I`ll be putting one on the rear a bit later in the year .

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I have to say I`m impressed with the grip of the revamped nobby nic . I was having problems with the front of the XC bike and decided to take a punt with the 2.35 nobby nic . Sticks well and I don`t notice any rolling resistance . I`ll be putting one on the rear a bit later in the year .
Yea I like it up front too, seems to strike the perfect balance between grip and rolling. I'd stick with the 2.25 pacestar for the rear though.

Rode the old NN recently and god that was terrible.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
14865411839816620016.jpg1486541243186-687806035.jpg this is the 2.6 butcher compared to a 2.3 maxxis agressor new also and compared to the current 2.3 dhf.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
The side knobs on my 29er Hans Damf are tearing off after a handful of rides. Very common issue it seems with their 29er one.

Rather disappointing
Have a nobby nic out back which is fune
HD only does duty on the back of mine in winter now (Pacestar). In summer the higher lateral loads cause undercutting of the shoulder knobs very quickly. This in turn leads to a very vague, unsupported feeling in the front.

You may as well try the NN on the front to see how it goes.

If it doesn't work and you want massively supported shoulder knobs then the Minion awaits (DHF / Aggressor comb rolls better than HD F&R – not sure about new NN).

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Anyone used a Maxxis Griffin?

Curious to see some opinions, there's not whole lot of reviews floating around out there.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
The side knobs on my 29er Hans Damf are tearing off after a handful of rides. Very common issue it seems with their 29er one.

Rather disappointing
Have a nobby nic out back which is fune
My LBS replaced my HD with a Nobby Nic. That's really good service

Let you know how it goes

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Let you know how it goes
I just put a 29 hans on the front today.. Not great to hear they get ripped up on the nar of the yarra trails..

Had an ardent 2.25 on the front and it was bloody horrible. The random loss of traction was really unsettling.

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well the Hans Dampf certainly lived up to the hype grip wise. Great tyre hopefully it lasts. Doesn't roll great on road/paths but that's not what it's for.

Big JD

Wheel size expert

Let you know how it goes
Well it is a pretty lousy front tyre. Unfortunately I got the harder compound pacestar which might contribute to its lack of cornering bite. So a Nobby Nic is great on the rear but not up front. So if I can't run a Hans or a Nobby up font then I need to change brands. Problem is that a 2.3 Schwalbe is so much bigger than anything else. What a shame that any good front tyre weights a kilo

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well it is a pretty lousy front tyre. Unfortunately I got the harder compound pacestar which might contribute to its lack of cornering bite. So a Nobby Nic is great on the rear but not up front. So if I can't run a Hans or a Nobby up font then I need to change brands. Problem is that a 2.3 Schwalbe is so much bigger than anything else. What a shame that any good front tyre weights a kilo
I only find NN good in the soft stuff. On hard pack, when on the rear I can make the knobs flex like hell and slide all over the place.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine is a trail star, it had a tonne of bite on the dry loose over hard bits through hans loop. Where as the ardent felt like i was riding slicks.

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
Tried a Maxxis Forekaster?

Z

Zaf

No
Might try aggressor
Forecaster better for wet I reckon
Isn't the Forekaster just the update to the Ardent without discontinuing the Ardent?
Looking at the one I just ordered in recently, the tread pattern is no more or less open than an Ardent, if anything the knob layout is very similar even if the shape and siping isn't. I'll get a picture of it in the morning, there's no good light for such things right now.

But we should really only discuss the advantages of different rear tyres, because there's pretty much only one option for the front, and that's a Minion DHF.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aggressor is ~ok up front but narrow/low vol, makes it a better RR tyre imo. Dhr2 kills it in every respect up front, and 100gm less. Forkaster is compromised tyre, vlight with much less side knobbage, haven't had a reason to run them yet but will be trail/area specific.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Zac, Dhf has one big weakness up front, and that is mud shedding. I used to run them flat out for years, couldn't fault them except for that. I find hr2 is a better front tyre.. can't feel any difference in performance and definitely better shedding in damp/ wet conditions.
I've been running an aggressor 2.3 out back, replacing a dhr2 that I was very happy with, and so far very happy with the aggressor too. It does lose traction easier than the dhr2 on rocks and steep, and haven't ridden it in really wet conditions yet, it's a great tyre but I'm still swayed toward the dhr2 for all round performance. They feel very similar in terms of rolling resistance but I feel the dhr2 goes that bit further when things get rowdy, rocky or wet. Thoughts?

golden path

Banned
No
Might try aggressor
Forecaster better for wet I reckon
I hit a small patch of mud on my 2.35FK the other day (water race was leaking) and on a slight bend it skated right out from under me.

I hit it again on the return leg, same result.

I wouldn't hang my hat off the Forekaster as a good front tyre for the wet - I think it lacks that hard, square edge like for example the High Roller has, to bite right in on snotty terrain.

I'll be putting The FK on the back come winter (for summer there's an Ardent Race on the back, '17 Stumpjumper 27.5) with a 2.35 Shorty up front.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
The 2.3 Aggressor has a materially smaller bag on it than the 2.35 HD. Additionally, it only comes in the harder dual compound (no 3C). I run it on the back and wouldn’t put it on the front (there are so many other better options available). Based on knob spacing and height I’d defiantly say that it’s happiest in dry conditions (Maxxis list it as Loose / Loose Over Hard / Medium).

On the front in summer, it’s Minion time. DHF / DHR2 in 3C, pick your poison, the large supported shoulder knobs hold on well when the trail surface is harder. The large flat area of the centre knobs on the DHF allow it to roll very well for a tyre which will give good grip.

In winter the HR2 and Shorty will win on the front because of their more open profile, and in the Shorty’s case lots of sharp square edges on the tread blocks. In really blown out summer conditions these tyres might work well too. To not be a Maxxis fanboy; the Magic Mary is awesome in softer / looser trail conditions.

The e13 TRS+ posted up by SDA is something I’m interested to here feedback on. From what I’ve read the super soft R compound is down around the Maxxis super tacky level of softness. The slightly harder + compound is meant to be better for trail riding as the R drags more.