All Mountain Tyres

Big JD

Wheel size expert
thanks for all your love and support!!!!!

I decided on the following
FS 5 inch 29er
Front- Maxxis DHF 2.4 WT 3C
Rear- Maxxis Griffin 2.35 for Summer and a Nobby Nic 2.35 for Winter

HT 29er
Front- Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35
Rear- Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2

will review the Griffin for you lot as there is little info out there for the new 29er exo.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Mwi - just out of curiosity, with all the tyre changes do you run tubeless?

Last edited:

SDA

Likes Dirt
My current tyre set up depending on what I am doing on the bike, I probably have 20 tyres in the garage and change them out regularly:

XC:

Aggressor / Minion SS (or razor, got the SS's cheap) - this has worked really well for me at Wombat, Anglesea and youies.
HR2 / Tomahawk

AM

HR2 / Aggressor
DHF / HR2
DHF / SS.
What internal rim width are you running?

A rotating Minion DHF, Aggressor and Minion SS combo (depending on conditions) sounds good.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Mwi - just out of curiosity, with all the tyre changes do you run tubeless?
Yup I run tubeless, only takes 15 mins tops to change two tyres.

The best thing I have bought for minimising frustration is an airshot - https://www.pushys.com.au/airshot-tyre-inflator.html I know its not cheap, but it gets the tyres up first time everytime, just make sure the tyre bead and rim are both clean.

What internal rim width are you running?

A rotating Minion DHF, Aggressor and Minion SS combo (depending on conditions) sounds good.
Zelvys at 29 or 30mm internal, using the maxxis WT variety's where available, otherwise either 2.3 or 2.4's.

All three tyres seem to synergise well, with similar edge knobs, so jumping from tyre to tyre doesn't feel too different.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I run a HR2/Ardent on my Heckler. I had the Ardent (2.25) on the front for a while and hated it. I actually started dreading riding... The Ardent was fine when I did some XC races as it rolls quite well, just can't be pushed on the front at all. It gave no feeling of when it was going to let go. I moved it to the back after buying an HR2, and don't mind it on the back to be honest. It rolls well which helps when you are pedalling an old heavy ass single pivot bike :D

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I moved it to the back after buying an HR2, and don't mind it on the back to be honest. It rolls well which helps when you are pedalling an old heavy ass single pivot bike :D
Ha, I bet my ye olde Heckler is older than yours with an Ardent on the back too. Still is more than good enough for me to ride until the inevitable upgrade.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The Ardent seems to be a tyre that suits riders that take really smooth lines but if you are very aggressive and throw the bike deep into corners they're not so good.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Ardent just doesn't look like a front tyre to me at all.

It has those horizontal tractor / snakebelly kind of tread that just screams back tyre only since I will lose traction as soon as I get too sideways. I think putting it on the front is a sign of courage and ambition :third: They make a pretty reasonable back tyre from my time on it though.
Maybe it's just not a tyre for dry conditions??! Agree it's okish on the rear, mine slips on steep stuff but that most likely is technique....
I'm loving the hans damph on the front though so far, haven't really tested it in really rocky shit yet but it bites really nice on loose/hard in the trail star.

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
Yup I run tubeless, only takes 15 mins tops to change two tyres.

The best thing I have bought for minimising frustration is an airshot - https://www.pushys.com.au/airshot-tyre-inflator.html I know its not cheap, but it gets the tyres up first time everytime, just make sure the tyre bead and rim are both clean.
I got myself one of these when i switched to tubeless: http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/giyo-gf-94t-high-pressure-gauge-floor-pump-260-psi/GF-94T

Same concept but nice to have it in one unit with a pump. Makes the seating process soooo much easier!

The Ardent seems to be a tyre that suits riders that take really smooth lines but if you are very aggressive and throw the bike deep into corners they're not so good.
Have been running the 2.4 Ardents on both front and rear now, your assessment is 100% IMO. On anything other than hardpack very hard to tell when they're going to stick or give way.

That being said probably the best balance for rolling resistance I've tried against other tyres when pedalling yourself both up and down hills.
At the moment too lazy to change over to something different, I'm taking the stance of "its making me a better rider by forcing me to choose good lines" :p

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Maybe it's just not a tyre for dry conditions??! Agree it's okish on the rear, mine slips on steep stuff but that most likely is technique....
It is rated for hardpack, loose over hard and medium. http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-465-ardent-race

I'm loving the hans damph on the front though so far, haven't really tested it in really rocky shit yet but it bites really nice on loose/hard in the trail star.
+1, Hans is a great front tyre. I like how it hangs on and it predictable so far and pretty comfortable. It sure looks like it would be home on a 125 too.

----------
Sent with added typos from a tiny mobile keyboard and spellchecker that makes a mess of everything.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
The DHF wt 29er 3C 2.5 has shitloads of grip but is slow and heavy for general trails. It is a fit and forget.
Rather impressed with the 2.35 Griffin on the rear. Rolls , grips and brakes well. Think it would make a good xc trail front or rear tyre. Less weight and faster than the aggressor and could work on the front.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
New Nobby Nics are noticeably grippier than old Nobby Nics.
Yeah I find them good. Initially my bike was really tail happy and I thought they weren't great on the back but a stem change (from 70mm to 60mm) and now really predictable. Back has 450km on it and looks thrashed but just keeps hooking up..... replacement NN hanging on the wall.....waiting.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
First ride with the aggressor on the rear yesterday.

Certainly took a little getting used to after having the minion SS on the back for a good year now.

Once I got past not having those minion side knobs, and having to rip the rear brake to lock it up things got great fast.

This thing effing rips along! So much braking grip, climbing grip and just rails through berms!

Side walls do feel a bit squishy though.