All Mountain Tyres

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another vote for Aggressor rear; I switched to it at the start of the year, and other than one very muddy day in NZ, couldn't be happier. Seems great for most Aus conditions, unless its really wet and then I switch it out to a DHR.
Running it with a HRII up front.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Think I'll go down the route of a 2.4 WT 3C maxx terra DHR2 on the front and a 2.3 Aggressor on the rear.
Want to keep the rolling resistance down and DHR2 are supposed to be a pretty sweet tyre on the front.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BT180

Max Pfaff
Think I'll go down the route of a 2.4 WT 3C maxx terra DHR2 on the front and a 2.3 Aggressor on the rear.
Want to keep the rolling resistance down and DHR2 are supposed to be a pretty sweet tyre on the front.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
If you're keen on the DHR2 on the rear, just get the 2.3 DD version. Rolls way better than the 2.4WT and, although around the 1kg mark, it should hold up to the abuse dished out on the rough Sydney trails.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just ordered a DHR2 WT 2.4 Maxx Terra to run out front with an Aggressor rear. I did have a 2.4 HR2 out front which had amazing amounts of all out grip, but I like the firm side knobs on the DHF much better so figured the DHR2 should be the best of both worlds.
I also read the other day that the F and R in DHF and DHR actually stand for “Freeride” and “Race” not front and rear = mind blown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dunndog

Eats Squid
I also read the other day that the F and R in DHF and DHR actually stand for “Freeride” and “Race” not front and rear = mind blown.

Where did you read that? Im not convinced thats correct.. the r's have square knobs for improved braking while the f's have more ramp for faster rolling and better turning grip.. these profile differences wouldn't translate to them being free ride and race specific..

Last edited:

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where did you read that? Im not convinced thats correct.. the r's have square knobs for improved braking while the f's have more ramp for faster rolling and better turning grip.. these profile differences wouldn't translate to them being free ride and race specific..
Singletrack.com, but I think it refers to the original version of the tyres so it may well not apply to the new versions.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/singl...is-minion-dhf-dhr-ii-wide-trail-3c-tyres/amp/

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Anyone run an aggressor front?
Yup done a fair bit of riding with one on the front.

It's surprisingly good, but the caveat is I've only used it for relatively sedate trail riding, I don't think I'd be game to use it for more aggressive AM riding. Reasonably predictable front tyre, buts it limits are way below a more aggressive front tyre, bur the rolling is noticeably better.

Kind of feels a bit like running the new nobby nic on the front, it's alright, great at places like wombat, but going hard any where that wasn't relatively hard pack, you'd probably die.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yup done a fair bit of riding with one on the front.

It's surprisingly good, but the caveat is I've only used it for relatively sedate trail riding, I don't think I'd be game to use it for more aggressive AM riding. Reasonably predictable front tyre, buts it limits are way below a more aggressive front tyre, bur the rolling is noticeably better.

Kind of feels a bit like running the new nobby nic on the front, it's alright, great at places like wombat, but going hard any where that wasn't relatively hard pack, you'd probably die.
So in your humble opinion how would you rate it for you yangs or red hill? Considering this with a minion ss out back for red hill enduro.. to help with all the pedalling mainly.

Mywifesirrational

So in your humble opinion how would you rate it for you yangs or red hill? Considering this with a minion ss out back for red hill enduro.. to help with all the pedalling mainly.
I've run the Agressor / SS combo and it does roll nice, but I wouldn't use it for an enduro. Don't mind it for youies, most of my PR's are on this combo for anything with some pedaling. Where as all the descending tracks the HR2 or DHF hold all the PR's - depends what you focus is on.

The aggressor brakes away a lot earlier then the HR2, DHRF, DHR, Mary (although I find the mary at youies to be squirmy, with the HR2 being the best). It does roll better than the others, buti'd be concerned about washing the front out and the fun bits if going >95%.

Not sure what I make of the SS, on 30mm internal rims, the Aggressor rolls as good if not better, brakes better and suits a larger variety of conditions. Whereas the SS on wider internal rims has a really flat profile, riding in a straight line the edge knobs sit too upright and drag along, makes the tyre really draggy for a semi slick. Narrow rims, this may not be an issue at all (25mm ish).

Just put a rock razor on the rear again, a lot larger than the SS, more aggressive edge knobs, more rounded, awesome tyre (but only in a super gravity carcass - snake skin too flimsy).

Racing at either of those locations I'd be going HR2/razor, roll 90% as good (10% is a large difference) and descend a lot more confidently. But really depends on your preferences.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yep, nice. Kinda mirroring what I was thinking. Although never ridden an ss , was on hr2/agg and was very impressed. Rode that combo on a lot of varying terrain and was just as impressed with it in steep loam, slippy grease and hard dry as with the dhr2 that it replaced. Might stick with that, tried and true.. and thanks for not mentioning the not mention worthy ardent...

Mywifesirrational

Yep, nice. Kinda mirroring what I was thinking. Although never ridden an ss , was on hr2/agg and was very impressed. Rode that combo on a lot of varying terrain and was just as impressed with it in steep loam, slippy grease and hard dry as with the dhr2 that it replaced. Might stick with that, tried and true.. and thanks for not mentioning the not mention worthy ardent...
Haha, yeah the ardent... made the mistake of using a 2.6 DH version at buller one weekend, low sides galore, but it rolls nice from the carpark to trail head.

HR2/Aggressor is a really solid tyre choice - just waiting the the HR2 WT variant to be released. If things are loamy and steep (hence no issues with rolling resistance), I'd go a magic mary / DHR2, or loamy and undulating a magic mary / rock razor.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Aggressor is a solid rear choice unless it is really muddy as it clags up then. Otherwise it hooks up well, nice braking and cornering with stiff side knobs, and doesn't feel too draggy when pedalling.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I like Schwalbe Magic Mary and Hans Damphf up from but not sold on a rear tyre. It is just a trail bike- dont race or major stunts. Like the idea of set and forget (regardless of conditions) and cant mix tyre brands- thats just not on!

Maxxis make heaps of good trail options for my trail rig
Great front tyres- DHF, DHR, HR
Rear- Aggressor, DHR, Icon, Griffin or Ardent race

But you are running 1/2 kilo of extra weight running Maxxis over Schwalbe. This is fine for stunts and chunk but for general riders on trail bikes across multiple trails- I really dont see the reason to run such aggressive heavy tyres. I think we get sidetracked by marketing/enduro about what we should be riding and not what are really need.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I like Schwalbe Magic Mary and Hans Damphf up from but not sold on a rear tyre. It is just a trail bike- dont race or major stunts. Like the idea of set and forget (regardless of conditions) and cant mix tyre brands- thats just not on!

Maxxis make heaps of good trail options for my trail rig
Great front tyres- DHF, DHR, HR
Rear- Aggressor, DHR, Icon, Griffin or Ardent race

But you are running 1/2 kilo of extra weight running Maxxis over Schwalbe. This is fine for stunts and chunk but for general riders on trail bikes across multiple trails- I really dont see the reason to run such aggressive heavy tyres. I think we get sidetracked by marketing/enduro about what we should be riding and not what are really need.
Hmmmm........ :noidea:

Schwalbe Magic Mary - 27.5 x 2.35 - SnakeSkin, Speedgrip, TL Easy = 835g
Maxxis DHF - 27.5X2.30 - 3C/EXO/TR MaxxTerra = 870g
Difference - 35g

Schwalbe Hans Dampf - 27.5 x 2.35 - SnakeSkin, TL Easy, Speedgrip = 795g
Maxxis Aggressor - 27.5X2.30 - EXO/TR , DUAL = 885g
Difference - 90g

Schwalbe Rock Razor - 27.5 x 2.35 - SnakeSkin, TL Easy, Speedgrip = 695g
Maxxis Minion SS - 27.5X2.30 ,EXO/TR , DUAL = 745g
Difference - 50g

dunndog

Eats Squid
I only have 1 wheelset and run tubeless, so Im not running different tyres for different trails generally. If rather be running a heavier tyre with higher psi to get me through a cruisy xc roll than be undercooked when it counts on faster more aggressive trails, which I ride more than less anyway. If the gnarliest trails you ride are Buxton then yeah you probably don't need big aggressive tyres. But if you're having a crack on some steeper or more aggressive trails you will certainly notice a difference and wish you had some burlier rubber under you.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hmmmm........ :noidea:

Schwalbe Magic Mary - 27.5 x 2.35 - SnakeSkin, Speedgrip, TL Easy = 835g
Maxxis DHF - 27.5X2.30 - 3C/EXO/TR MaxxTerra = 870g
Difference - 35g

Schwalbe Hans Dampf - 27.5 x 2.35 - SnakeSkin, TL Easy, Speedgrip = 795g
Maxxis Aggressor - 27.5X2.30 - EXO/TR , DUAL = 885g
Difference - 90g

Schwalbe Rock Razor - 27.5 x 2.35 - SnakeSkin, TL Easy, Speedgrip = 695g
Maxxis Minion SS - 27.5X2.30 ,EXO/TR , DUAL = 745g
Difference - 50g
sorry should have mentioned 29er tyres and i was under the impression Maxxis DHF 2.5 were 1100grams while Schwalbe HD where around 850grams I love the width of Schwalbe 2.35 and find with Maxxis you have to go 2.5 for comparison.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I only have 1 wheelset and run tubeless, so Im not running different tyres for different trails generally. If rather be running a heavier tyre with higher psi to get me through a cruisy xc roll than be undercooked when it counts on faster more aggressive trails, which I ride more than less anyway. If the gnarliest trails you ride are Buxton then yeah you probably don't need big aggressive tyres. But if you're having a crack on some steeper or more aggressive trails you will certainly notice a difference and wish you had some burlier rubber under you.
totally agree mate. I do find what works at Buxton, Woodend or Lysty might not be ideal at the Youies (youies is quite a unique surface). Hadnt considered adding PSI to improve rolling on hard pack.