All Mountain Tyres

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Looking for recommendations for a set of lighter XC ish trail tyres for a Trance.

Current tyre combo is Magic Mary and Rock Razor 2.35's which I like but I have ordered another set wider wheels (finally) which will run them for more aggressive riding. I do notice the Magic Mary is slower rolling on XC rides.

That leaves me with the narrow carbon giant wheels for more XC type riding. Thinking of Rocket Ron's (wifes bike has had a couple of sets and she likes them) or something around that level. Didn't mind Nobby Nic as a rear but on the front it wasn't super confidence inspiring when really being pushed.

I understand I won't make the trance into a XC weapon....... technically the only goodies I haven't got currently for a 27.5 XC rig is frame and fork..... so am looking :spy:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I can highly recommend Onza Ibex or possibly any Onza tyres. Ive had just about every Schwalbe tyre, Maxxis Minion, Ardent and Icon... my current Onza Ibex shit all over them with weight vs grip and more so puncture resistance.

Cost a bit more from online sellers but IMO worth it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Those onza ibexs aren't too bad, a mate has them and they seem to work for him pretty well. I've been riding on an igniter up front and an ikon on the rear of my xc bike. I'm going back to a hr2 up front and Racing Ralph rear when these are done for. I don't want to go too XC around Brissie dust trails.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Just a general update for anyone revisiting here & looking for tyre combos....
(This is not anything new or revealing for a lot of regulars)

I have been running a Maxxis HRII 2.4 Exo Front....and the Aggressor 2.3 Exo rear for a little over a year now.
Wheels are 27.5. Bike is a 2015 Trance XL. I'm about 100 kgs riding....and I do a bit of everything here in Tassie.

This combination is pretty friggin' goddam amazing. There is so much grip in any conditions. Dusty & dry? No worries, nothing sketchy or too skittish.
Half-wet mud from previous rain (with clay) - No worries, they move around a bit but very predictable, even on off-camber slippery shit.
Full mud? No worries, again there's grip there.
Roots & loose shit on a hand-cut rough track? Never worries these tyres. Completely predictable.

The thing I like about them is that when they move around or slide it's telegraphed to you. You can feel them starting to let go without eating shit instantly & then wondering what happened (here's looking at you Schwalbe)

Only downside I can see is that the side walls are getting a little chafed from squeezing through rock gardens etc (but I did choose EXO deliberately - you can always go for a stronger casing spec)

And pedaling / rolling resistance? Fuck knows. As soon as the trail goes uphill I'm hurting no matter what I'm rolling on!

H.T.H.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a general update for anyone revisiting here & looking for tyre combos....
(This is not anything new or revealing for a lot of regulars)

I have been running a Maxxis HRII 2.4 Exo Front....and the Aggressor 2.3 Exo rear for a little over a year now.
Wheels are 27.5. Bike is a 2015 Trance XL. I'm about 100 kgs riding....and I do a bit of everything here in Tassie.

This combination is pretty friggin' goddam amazing. There is so much grip in any conditions. Dusty & dry? No worries, nothing sketchy or too skittish.
Half-wet mud from previous rain (with clay) - No worries, they move around a bit but very predictable, even on off-camber slippery shit.
Full mud? No worries, again there's grip there.
Roots & loose shit on a hand-cut rough track? Never worries these tyres. Completely predictable.

The thing I like about them is that when they move around or slide it's telegraphed to you. You can feel them starting to let go without eating shit instantly & then wondering what happened (here's looking at you Schwalbe)

Only downside I can see is that the side walls are getting a little chafed from squeezing through rock gardens etc (but I did choose EXO deliberately - you can always go for a stronger casing spec)

And pedaling / rolling resistance? Fuck knows. As soon as the trail goes uphill I'm hurting no matter what I'm rolling on!

H.T.H.
I was riding the same combo for a while, but have recently swapped the front to a DHR2. Rolls better, rails berms better, but does not seem to have the same all out grip the HR2 has in most conditions.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Running MM 2.35 front and DHR2 2.3 rear for the past 5 months.

Has anyone ever buckled their tyre?

I landed a bit weird off a small drop on the weekend. Rear wheel couldn't rotate as the tyre knobs rubbed against my frame. Thought I busted the wheel. Ripped the tyre off, rim is true. Put the tyre back on (and made sure its seated correctly), portion of it is moderately buckled.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Running MM 2.35 front and DHR2 2.3 rear for the past 5 months.

I landed a bit weird off a small drop on the weekend. Rear wheel couldn't rotate as the tyre knobs rubbed against my frame. Thought I busted the wheel. Ripped the tyre off, rim is true. Put the tyre back on (and made sure its seated correctly), portion of it is moderately buckled.
I have had quite a few Maxxis do this, but not to the extreme of rubbing the frame.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never heard of tyres buckling before ... is this pretty standard and a case of bad luck even if the tyres are still quite new?
I don’t really know. I think the casing can, and does, deform on some hard impacts.
I have heard that Maxxis will warrant it so it might be worth contacting the place you bought them from.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Never heard of tyres buckling before ... is this pretty standard and a case of bad luck even if the tyres are still quite new?
Just about all my tyres end up with buckles in them, it's more common in the lighter casing tyres when you have a large hit with not much air in the tyre.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Ah gotchas. I guess the thicker casing types aren't only for puncture protection but also buckle protection?
I'll try my luck with a warranty ... and not landing so sketchy haha

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Ah gotchas. I guess the thicker casing types aren't only for puncture protection but also buckle protection?
I'll try my luck with a warranty ... and not landing so sketchy haha
yeah maybe, I've had a few exo's go all wonky, usually landing sideways onto harpack so the tread grips to well and something has to give. Not even seen if happen on a DH casing, the extra 400g probably makes the difference.

If the tyre still looks good, warranty is worth a shit, maxxis in the past have warrantied this, if the tread looks shagged, i'd wager no warranty.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Warped a few specialized control casings over the years. All of the Maxxis Exo casings i've recently had on the rear and mates have badly warped HR2's etc on the front.

Moved away from Maxxis as personally I find them to be undersized and heavy for the relatively weak (EXO) casings.

Currently experimenting with a Michelin Wild AM up front. This tyre rolls bloody fast for the grip on offer! Have yet to really push it hard though.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Running.... DHR2 2.3 rear...

I've done this on a dhf 2.3 TR exo before which was on the rear. Bad landing and tyre was rubbing on the rear swingarm. I contacted who I bought the tyre from and warranty was all good.

I'm not sure if it's specific to the dhf, but I've had issues before as above and more recently too again on the rear, but not as bad, and I just won't run a dhf on the back anymore...

SDA

Likes Dirt
Had a similar thing happen to a DHR2. You can get them back to a small buckle, but they will never be 100%. I got mine back ok by taking the tyre off the bike and trying to stretch out the sidewalls by hand. Also pumping up to 50-60psi helped. I was then able to get more rides out of it.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Bucked AF tyre
Damn! That's how mine was initially.
This is as straight as I could get it. Gave it a bit of elbow grease, pumped up to 45psi and tyre is on backwards. Not ideal conditions haha.
Emailed CRC yesterday.

[video=youtube_share;FzvR5dO4xSM]https://youtu.be/FzvR5dO4xSM[/video]

Looks like a fair few of the Maxxis EXO are suffering from this.
Guess I'll move to the DH casing.

Brother Maynard

Likes Bikes
I had this happen to an Ardent EXO - was using it on the rear, hopped a curb on my way to the trails. Landed sideways on tarmac and rolled the (tubeless) tyre off the rim.

The casing 'split' from the bead. It was like a drawstring in a pair of track pants, couldn't get it straight again. Maxxis warrantied the tyre.