All NPWS tracks and Trails closed this weekend-update closure lifted

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Gee, lucky I didn't read this before I rode in the RNP this morning (Little/Big Marley Fire Trail), starting at Maianbar with no signage whatsoever.

Also luck that the other dozen or so hikers I saw didn't read that the park was closed this morning either. They couldn't have gone for a pleasant walk.

It barely reached mid-twenties here & had rained a bit as well.

Lucky they've closed the RNP.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Absolutely. I have lived in the RNP for over ten years & never ridden a closed trail.

How the fcuk was I supposed to know the trail was closed if it was not signposted & I didn't travel into the RNP from outside?

Why do you ask? Do you work for NPWS?

Last edited:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
How the fcuk was I supposed to know the trail was closed if it was not signposted & I didn't travel into the RNP from outside?
Back in the old days (when closure decisions were made by local people with local knowledge of the conditions rather than a faceless office worker in the Sydney office watching the weather report on Ch 9) you'd ring up the local Park office and check. These days you can look on the interwebs, it's pretty easy to find

0psi

Eats Squid
I have lived in the RNP for over ten years & never ridden a closed trail.

I think the assumption is that if you live in the RNP you'd have some idea what was going on in your backyard at a time like this. All National Parks were closed earlier this week, there's a total fire ban in place and it's some of the worst fire conditions we've had in years in NSW. It's not like they just sprung it on you out of the blue.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Absolutely. I have lived in the RNP for over ten years & never ridden a closed trail.
I am really glad to hear that.

Do you work for NPWS?
I do. I ask because I have spent the last three weeks trying to get messages to thousands of parks visitors on all sorts of things ranging from where to buy a day ticket to total park closures to walking tracks and trails being closed during TOBAN days and having mixed success. I'd like to get better at getting our messages out there.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Back in the old days (when closure decisions were made by local people with local knowledge of the conditions rather than a faceless office worker in the Sydney office watching the weather report on Ch 9) you'd ring up the local Park office and check. These days you can look on the interwebs, it's pretty easy to find
I think the assumption is that if you live in the RNP you'd have some idea what was going on in your backyard at a time like this. All National Parks were closed earlier this week, there's a total fire ban in place and it's some of the worst fire conditions we've had in years in NSW. It's not like they just sprung it on you out of the blue.
The point I am trying to make is that there should be signage at the major trail heads too. This *used* to be done, but it seems that it can't be done any more.

Yesterday on the coast was the mildest of loveliest days you'd ever likely to come across. Barely mid-twenties, a cool southerly & it rained for a bit too. That every National Park in the state was closed because of horrific weather conditions didn't occur to me.

And yes, Tuesday was a brilliant example of a *proper* park closure. I had to pass through two police checkpoints where my details were checked & there were two more police patrols in the park along the way.

It made the RNP safe & kept the arsonists out. Word of mouth amongst the locals meant everyone knew, it was very well handled. This weekend wasn't.

CJT

Squid
I have just driven through the RNP and other than 1 sign I saw on the main road in I did not see a single sign to point out the park was closed and I was looking out for them as well. Having the park closed this weekend is a total over reaction, it was 27degC when I drove through and lightly raining. Perfect afternoon for a ride really.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
The forecast may have been wrong in eastern sydney yesterday, but up the coast in Newcastle it was into the 40's at the beach in the afternoon. We didn't get the southerly till a lot later.

The southerly came through earlier than predicted for sydney, so unless NPWS make a call mid Sunday morning when it was apparent the temps weren't going to rise in that area, I don;t think they should be copping too much flak because the forecast didn't pan out in one area.

What I would like to see though is individual parks maybe looked at in terms of specific risk for the park. Take Glenrock, its not a big park by any means, bounded by ocean on one side and suburbia on the others. Its remote enough from other parks/bush that embers from another location are very unlikely to reach it creating spot fires and when it does get fires the nature of the topography and the number of exit points make it much less likely that it will be a catastrophic event.

If there was a westerly wind blowing, fire would be forced down hill, a direction that fire will be slower. If it is blowing N/E, its a see breeze so conditions are going to be significantly cooler reducing the risk of fire.

On a given day the risk in Glenrock would be significantly less than say, NP locally in the watagans or north of Newcastle, where the parks are expansive and adjoin State Forests and other scrub land.

When it is hot and dry, I wouldn't consider a ride at Killingworth, Awaba or any of the Watagans because of fire risk, Glenrock though has never concerned me.

So maybe rather than blanket state closures, there should be more of a regional approach. Yesterday the closure of Glenrock, no problems (too hot to ride anyway), but today there would be no reason for fire to flare up due to its disconnection to other bush. The watagan NP however, the areas are so vast as are the connections to other areas that there may be spot fires smouldering away ready to go that are undetected making the closures warranted today.

frensham

Likes Dirt
So, what are we complaining about here? A park being closed for a six weeks? a month? a week? No, 2 days. Get over it.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
The major visitor areas of Royal have been open since last Tuesday when there was a total park shutdown for NSW.

So Audley, Wattamolla, Garie and Bonnievale have all been open since Tuesday. The closure has only been for walking tracks and fire trails so thats why you won't see many signs on the roads into the parks.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
So, what are we complaining about here? A park being closed for a six weeks? a month? a week? No, 2 days. Get over it.
No. I'm just concerned that I rode closed trails & had NFI I was doing something wrong.

I don't want to be riding closed trails.

Perhaps farkin needs a trail status page (like nobmob but without the strava bullshit)?
I guess the trails were closed so firies didn't have to search trails for walkers/mtb if a fire broke out. Reasonable. Forecast was wrong thankfully.

It was good weather for trailwork at Mill Creek though, and the rain we're getting now should be wetting it nicely. Rejoice!

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
i went for a ride today, in 2 separate bush areas, didn't really associate the area i was riding in as being a national park
i saw about 5 riders, all riding the opposite way to me and one runner/walker who i stopped to chat with for a while.
when i rode out i saw a sign on the gate, there were no signs where i went in, even though it is a well established walking/riding track

should i go and hand myself in?

also, i love the theory that park closures keep arsonist out, as if they are pedantic rule followers.....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
i
also, i love the theory that park closures keep arsonist out, as if they are pedantic rule followers.....
ROTFLMAO!!!!!.

Its more important that the powers that be are seen to be doing something than nothing - its like whenever you hear some numpty utter the words "zero tolerance"

My local trails referenced a few posts above (glenrock) was chocka block full today, at least 20 cars in the car park (25c and still)

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Its more about reducing numbers of people in remote bush areas on high fire danger days if a fire was to break out.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
This afternoon I rode through a certain National Park in a downpour. I wouldn't have been able to light a match, let alone start an entire bushfire. I did know it was technically closed, but since the purpose of the closure was to prevent bushfires or people getting trapped in said bushfires, I didn't have much issue flouting the rules.