All NPWS tracks and Trails closed this weekend-update closure lifted

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
This afternoon I rode through a certain National Park in a downpour. I wouldn't have been able to light a match, let alone start an entire bushfire. I did know it was technically closed, but since the purpose of the closure was to prevent bushfires or people getting trapped in said bushfires, I didn't have much issue flouting the rules.
Don't ride tracks when they are wet! ;)

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Its more about reducing numbers of people in remote bush areas on high fire danger days if a fire was to break out.
And thats why there needs to be a regional approach rather than a blanket.

As I said, I have no issue (actually agree) with yesterdays state wide closure. But today, the risk in the small, coastal, urban NP's is pretty small. They could have been legitimately open. No problem with the big parks off the coastal fringe remaining closed due to risk.

My fear is that people become overly complacent when it is hot and things should be legitimately closed because they don't trust/respect the closures because of they way they are used.

I'll be talking to the local NPWS tomorrow with feedback on the NPWS website, got some trail stuff to talk about anyway. At the top of the Fire Closure page it was saying everything is closed, yet the individual listing of parks was giving different info that gave the impression some parks were open. I think that could be improved pretty easily.