Alternatives to isopropyl alcohol?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've recently done a stupid thing (brake rotors and greasy rags don't mix!) and went looking for my isopropyl alcohol, but can't find it anywhere and I don't have an easy source of it anymore because I changed jobs.

I can find the 70% (rubbing alcohol) in the shops, but can't source the good stuff anywhere at the moment.

Will the 70% do, or are there other alternatives that are just as good? Metho / other white type spirit / anything else?

I'm looking at using it for the rotors and fork servicing and general cleaning.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I've recently done a stupid thing (brake rotors and greasy rags don't mix!) and went looking for my isopropyl alcohol, but can't find it anywhere and I don't have an easy source of it anymore because I changed jobs.

I can find the 70% (rubbing alcohol) in the shops, but can't source the good stuff anywhere at the moment.

Will the 70% do, or are there other alternatives that are just as good? Metho / other white type spirit / anything else?

I'm looking at using it for the rotors and fork servicing and general cleaning.
Any alcohol will work to a point but like dissolves like and isopropyl is less polar and therefore better matches grease. Another equally effective alternative is low boiling point white spirit (AKA shellite, lighter fluid, petroleum ether, etc).

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
If there's a Jaycar in your neck of the woods, they have several 99% options. The aerosol is my preference. You wouldn't believe the time I wasted tracking it down. I used to get it from the Canadian chemist @ 3.99/500ml and dump it in a spray bottle. The Aussie chemist wants 20-30 per 500ml..

Clean streak is also quite good and claims to be rotor friendly but "I" would avoid using on plastic bits or rubber seals you plan on re-using on a fork. Lowers and stripped uppers.... Giver.

Cheers

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got 5 litres if you want to drive to Belgrave and grab a little bit? Bought it for $35ish on eBay

ChopSticks

Banned
I've got 5 litres if you want to drive to Belgrave and grab a little bit? Bought it for $35ish on eBay
i did some research recently and found ebay sold large quantities in very pure form for decent prices (recall finding a 100% IPA? or was it 99.99%?)
also worth checking out chemical suppliers near your area... and see if you can buy a wholesale (5L+) bottle?

otherwise Jaycar's stuff is good. I have a few bottles...... dont waste money on the aerosol cans... buy the bottles with spray nozzles, money goes way further :)

Ideate

Apparently:

"Meth's is a Mineral oil based fluid and hence MAY attack seals designed for use with Vegetable oil (like those inside some brake calipers) it also leaves a residue which may or may not contaminate your pads.

Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) is not an oil (Mineral or Vegetable) and hence will not damage brake seals whatever fluid are in them. It also leaves no residue and evaporates very quickly off any surface. It's what brake manufacturers use..."

Flow-Rider

Burner
methylated spirits is alcohol based as far as I knew (Methylated spirits ("metho") is a mixture of ethyl alcohol (95%) and methyl alcohol (%5). I have used it for years without any problems .

cobba

Likes Dirt
Apparently:

"Meth's is a Mineral oil based fluid and hence MAY attack seals designed for use with Vegetable oil (like those inside some brake calipers) it also leaves a residue which may or may not contaminate your pads.
That 'quote' seems to come from a UK forum and refers to a different product.

Australian Methylated Spirits: http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/docs/in-store-msds/methylated_spirits_may11.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Metho is basically about 95% ethanol and 5% water, it also has a small amount of a water soluble bittering agent in it to make it taste/smell nasty, I think it's less then 1%

Last edited:

gregp

Likes Dirt
Altronics in Clayton sell pure IPA in 2 L containers for $25. Just call first to check stock. If out of stock they will restock for you in 1-2days. Bunnings stock small spray bottles for $7 in their paint department.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Easiest stuff to get is brake cleaner in a can- any auto shop will sell for $10 a can and is made for the job - it's all volatile and evaporates completely . Also because it's pressurised it does a better job than alcohol on pads.