Another ‘what ute?’ Thread.

Flow-Rider

Burner
So, picked up the (shudders to self) Hilux yesterday, and so far, it does every a ute is contractually obliged to do.
Shit ton smoother on our rough dirt roads the old d22, but that’s a low bar.
A little more grunt than the old D22, again another low bar.
Roomier than the d22...as above.

Didn't buy this to give myself a stiffy or get the ladies, but happy with how it all feels so far.

Coincidentally, the wife’s car went in for some body work yesterday and the loaner car is a similar era and Km d40, which some were pushing as an option for me. I drove it for 30 minutes yesterday, and couldn’t wait to get out. Super tinny feeling, lots of road noise even with road tyres, auto has no idea what it’s doing, and turbo whistles like a tradie eying off a teenage girl. Drives like a boat. Not sure if this is common for the model, but not only does it make the lux feel solid, it made my d22 feel reasonable.
Felix confided in me this morning that he didn’t like the Tritons at all...so that’s a win.
Toyota's are generally the better made car, it's part of the reason why they cost more in the first place even though they're not without fault but either are the others. Unfortunately it's part of today's climate to make cars that don't last like they did 20 or 30 years ago.
Luckily there are very few Moose in Ballarat.

That's in extreme conditions, I used to get them as hire cars in the NT with the 130km speed limit on the Hi-way, which meant a lot faster and I never got one up on 2 wheels swerving for wild pigs and cattle on the road.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Toyota's are generally the better made car, it's part of the reason why they cost more in the first place even though they're not without fault but either are the others. Unfortunately it's part of today's climate to make cars that don't last like they did 20 or 30 years ago.

That's in extreme conditions, I used to get them as hire cars in the NT with the 130km speed limit on the Hi-way, which meant a lot faster and I never got one up on 2 wheels swerving for wild pigs and cattle on the road.
Yes, but its in extreme conditions that's its most important for things to not go pear shaped...

New RAV4 has issues too, although thats more to do with poor development of the ESP algorithms.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes, but its in extreme conditions that's its most important for things to not go pear shaped...

New RAV4 has issues too, although thats more to do with poor development of the ESP algorithms.
Moorey's Hilux is a lot older than that model, I'd be more concerned about people playing with ride heights and putting the wrong wheels on them.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I think the older ones were worse?

But yes, lift kits are scary...
I very doubt most people would even have the reflexes to drive like that, most common people stand on the brakes and poo their pants but looks like Hilux have had an update since then.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I’m well aware they don’t have the greatest ANCAP, and a reputation for rolling as above.
I drive like a nana these days and will take my chances.
Doesn't look, doesn't indicate, pulls out in front of traffic and sits 20 under the speed limit.