Another ‘what ute?’ Thread.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
+1 Triton. They are pretty bang for buck and a very basic configuration which means not much goes wrong.

I'd not go near a navara, the older stuff was good, but not the modern stuff.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've got a triton now for work, its entirely adequate in every way except the power curve. that thing has the worst turbo lag / soft take off i've ever experienced, which isn't great considering its a diesel. once its past 2000rpm its all good, but below that it feels like its being powered by a rubber band engine. My experience might be different to others though, because with my bare minumim of tools and equipment, the car weighs in at 2.7ton at the tip. throw a trailer on that or a couple of hundred kilos of scrap or rubbish and you can imagine why I gripe about it.

I had the old 3.0 diesel D22 nav before that, the odo got to 560,000 before i sold it on, and ive been told it continues to tick along just fine too. it had nowhere near the top end power of the triton, but was reliable and easy to work on and didn't have to wind up the rubber bands to get some power on take off. Being a nav owner for a few years i got to know the forums for those things and i doubt i'd buy a 2.5 diesel nav. apparently they had an issue with stretchy timing chains on some builds which would let go anywhere from 80,000km upwards and more or less destruct the engine. they used this engine in the D22 and D40 so you're probably not safe either way.

...whats the deal with your D22? is brokened?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
+1 Triton. They are pretty bang for buck and a very basic configuration which means not much goes wrong.

I'd not go near a navara, the older stuff was good, but not the modern stuff.
Nissan engines are shit these days, not just the Nav's...
I have had 2 tritons for work cars, and neither have had any issues...they just get very uncomfortable on longer trips after a while once the seats sag.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve been happy enough wth my D40 Navara. $20k should etc you a later model one when they’d fixed the timing chain issue and got some other upgrades. Mine is a 2007 and had a few little boggles but the only major thing I’ve done is the clutch, which was expected for the kms.

A few years ago we had a triton base model at work and t was a bit ordinary in terms of turbo lag but otherwise a decent enough ute.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Is the model of Navara that came with a rear coil springs in your budget? If you’re not needing the weight carrying capacity it would surely be worth it for improved handling?

Navara was the only one that had that option I think

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a Triton - it is a mean miserable uncomfortable bastard thing .
But , reliable ,cheap and reliably cheap ....
Had one from new - $20 k drive away deal .in 2104 model - Towed campers and caravans put to the limit constantly and long distances , drove to work in Melbourne every day for 4 years .
Just under 100k .
Nothing went wrong , not even brakes required replacement , was economical at 8-9 km. / per 100 when towing used double without fail . One set of tyres @ 80k
As other have said , seats are shit - I am of a robust build ....and not very tall .
It was tight and the seats don’t suit all body shapes .
Paint was very thin but okay - it’s performance paint !
Mine was a diesel , a mate has a petrol and it is fairly economical also but a lot quieter !
Personally, I whined and complained but it is the only car that I spent nothing on apart from servicing - at the local mech not Mitsubishi as they tried to handle me the first service and thus I did not return......ever .

I currently have a VF Ute and it also is a no cost vehicle- only tyres .

Don’t ask me about a Land Rover I owned ...........

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
at the end of the day, its a machine..it will let you down at the most inconvenient time
go with what pleases your eye and wallet!

rstim

Likes Dirt
The MN Triton with the 2.5 diesel had an issue with block castings one of the production lines. Info from a Triton forum was that Mitsubishi was unable to identify which vehicles were affected but issued a recall to try and make the engines fail. Engines that did were warrantied with full replacements and some of these even failed a second time. These bad engines hopefully should have failed by now and been replaced but Mitsubishi would probably still warranty a late model one as it was a known problem.

I only know all this as I've had a 2010 Triton for the last 4 years it's now done 150k and has been trouble free, yes it's not the most comfortable and has turbo lag below 2000rpm. But I bought it for the same reason you are looking at them was in the budget $18k with low KMs 78k and does everything all the other utes do.

Also another thought if a neat body isn't a priority then a salvage auction Ute could be good, hail damage etc?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yep +1 for the Triton. We have a 2018 MQ that we got for 29k delivered and I can't see the reason to spend more on other fancy brands. It's a ute does uteie things like carry heaps of shit and get covered on mud really well and as everyone has said cheap, reliable and easy to maintain.

clockworked

Like an orange
I have a 2013 triton. Ive upgraded the suspension and had it dyno tuned, so now it handles better and has a linear power curve, but the seats are still shitty. Apparently lancer seats fit into them, but they're not much better anyway.
It's been super reliable and cheap. I bought it because i wanted an engine, chassis and interior that would last for shuttling and young children. By those measures it has been perfect

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Another +1 for a Triton. I've got an MY18 MQ so it's still pretty fresh, but it's cheap to run, reliable , fits 5 bikes over the tailgate, great 4wd system, has the essential creature comforts.

I looked at all the options (albeit new At the time) and couldn't justify $50k+ for a Ranger, Hilux, Dmax etc.

I bought a auto GLS Triton for
Can't fault it (apart from a rattling passages seat on corrugated roads)

An MQ GLX+ should be bought for ~$20k which is a good option with filthy kids after a shuttle session ( no carpets and a washable floor).

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
how did you find the turbo lag??
I used to have the same for a work car,
I found that when you take off and the turbo lag+traction control kick in when you try to accelerate off, just give the clutch a quick tap while still pushing on the go pedal, seems to retard the traction control for a second, just enough to get going...not optimal, but beats getting t-boned at an intersection!
Good honest car though, not claiming to be a class leader, just a quite acheiver