Anyone had a dropper post and then got rid of it?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
And I've got "too much bike."

Presumably every second motherfucker around here also has "too much bike" because 140mm and up bikes are pretty popular on trails around here....
Yup. They do.

125 is the real sweet spot, not so small as to be xc, and not too long to be hardcore.

Pick a travel bracket and be a dick about it

golden path

Banned
I'm sorry you feel this way, I'll shut up now. This 'meathead' is over and out.

Please yourself mate - it's a nice day out there, go for a ride. :rockon:

That's what I plan to do - might not even use my dropper post. :pound:

Maybe I'll even ride my vintage Klein, compleat with skinny tyres, V brakes and tubes - don't want to be accused of using too much bike! :pound:

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
With the utmost respect every second post is about how he must "not be doing it right", "not riding hard enough'", "MTB 101 and all that"... etc.
Condescending, patronizing and implying that he's a beginner.
:clap2:. ........

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I also agree it was a simple question but resulted in unnecessary slanging.
Please treat the internet as though you were speaking in person to someone just there.
For what its worth IMHO the longer I do something and it works , the less likely I embrace the new.
So I started mtb in 1990 and still dont use a dropper post but I will try one day.
At present I just use the quick release to lower the seat mostly OS in steep , rocky, prolonged gnarliness.
In Australia I havent found much need as most stuff isnt v rocky.
I have only recently moved to super wide handlebars > 700 mm.

golden path

Banned
This one time when at bike camp (only once mind you...), I rode a bicycle on actual trails, and it DIDN'T have a dropper post, 1kg 2.4" tubeless 29'ers, a 75cm wide bar, hydraulic discs brakes and 150mm of squish front and rear, and I didn't die. (and I even had fun).

Don't try it at home, kids.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
This one time when on bike camp I went down a steep hill with my seat up and didn't die.
This one time when at bike camp (only once mind you...), I rode a bicycle on actual trails, and it DIDN'T have a dropper post, 1kg 2.4" tubeless 29'ers, a 75cm wide bar, hydraulic discs brakes and 150mm of squish front and rear, and I didn't die. (and I even had fun).

's

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard

Pfft, soft. Just wait until Peter Klunker finds this thread.

safreek

Wow. So this bloke asks a legitimate question about whether a piece of kit is really suited to his style of riding, and is then subjected to 10 pages of people bashing him about how hardcore they are and he must be a kook?

This place is amazing. The internet....serious business.
this thread has sort of convinced me to try one on the cheap. I don't ride hardcore but don't bother raising my seat for a climb, thus making climbing harder. At least you had a go before throwing it away. Don't suppose its a 27.2.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I dunno, first droppers are useless, next thing on the chopping block is gears i reckon.

EVERYONE TO THE SS THREAD!

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I dunno, first droppers are useless, next thing on the chopping block is gears i reckon.

EVERYONE TO THE SS THREAD!
Rigid with v brakes and semi slicks is the only way to ride SS. I cannot hack such a setup though collarbones and left knee complain bitterly.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
like I was riding some kid's stolen BMX a bit really....
Pretty much what a dropper is designed for. Helps get you and your bikes CofG lower as well as gives you the ability to move the bike around better. If that's not the sort of riding you do, then ditch the thing. Personally I'll never have another bike without one but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone else. You clearly don't like the thing, get trading area access if you don't already have it and sell, sell sell!!!!

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the input mate.

I think the jury's still out on it for me, ATM, as to how much use it will get.
I do think it's worth persevering. And as a lot of folks have mentioned, it's all about the riding you do. For me at places like Thredbo on the flowy trails (I'm not a dh'er) I'll ride the whole trail with the seat down. By the end of the day I'm getting tired so I'll raise the seat for short rests on trail then drop it back when I've rested. Pretty much the same for Stromlo. Up here in Sydney when I'm just out riding around it will be up most of the time but I will drop it frequently even for short descents. It's so little effort and can dramatically change your ability to manoeuvre the bike and also avoid over the bar situations.

A mate of mine doesn't have one. We were rding at Ourimbah which can be pretty rowdy so I suggested he drop the seat manually. He only dropped it about 2 inches. He lasted about 3m before going over the bars and shattering his elbow because he got a saddle up the freckle and coudn't get his weight back.

Given you are running a Stumpy I'm assuming you aren't a weight weenie so the weight of it shouldn't matter and for all intents and purposes the seat should feel the same as a solid post. So for the occassional drop here and there it will make life so much easier.