Anyone had a dropper post and then got rid of it?

Ivan

Eats Squid
Not really. 15 years on an Mtb without, 6 years now with. The minute I tried one, no chance of going back......even on the commuter.

I wasn't trying to say that everyone who had been riding for a long time wouldn't find one amazing, just I haven't. I have one on my current bike (reverb) and have been trying to use it to get used to it.

I have no idea how/why you'd need one on a commuter....your commuting must be more extreme than mine :) .

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I wasn't trying to say that everyone who had been riding for a long time wouldn't find one amazing, just I haven't. I have one on my current bike (reverb) and have been trying to use it to get used to it.

I have no idea how/why you'd need one on a commuter....your commuting must be more extreme than mine :) .
He has a Reverb on the commuter, they mostly don't work anyway so all good.

golden path

Banned
We could invite Redbrucey along as well and it would be a bromance in the making... Only problem is I would be the one falling off my bike while laughing my ass off watching something trying to descend while seated. MTB 101 and all that...
We can't all be Redbull sponsored YouTube starring gravity aces like your good self....

Nautonier

Eats Squid
We can't all be Redbull sponsored YouTube starring gravity aces like your good self....
Bahaha, nice one. Perhaps if you got the memo about getting out of the saddle when descending, you might have been shredding the red bull rampage. It's not about lowering your seated height, it's about getting the saddle the hell out of the way so you can ride the bike properly (as any MTB instructor would tell you in the first 30 seconds).

Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to:

"Dropper posts are a complete waste of time if you're stuck in the 90s and never leave the saddle".

To start a thread dissing one of the biggest game-changers in MTB tech, you're kinda asking for a bit of flack...

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I would probably be more enthusiastic about them if they weren't so expensive and have a reputation for unreliability
I don’t reckon they are that expensive… a list of the cheapest droppers a few pages ago had five different brands under $260, and my three cheapies have never let me down.

For me, three things have transformed my mountain bike riding… one - ditching the 71 degree 100mm xc bike for a trail bike with a slacker front end and more travel, two - running tubeless and three - dropper posts.

If you don’t see the value… cool, but I’ll never own another mountain bike without one.

golden path

Banned
Bahaha, nice one. Perhaps if you got the memo about getting out of the saddle when descending, you might have been shredding the red bull rampage. It's not about lowering your seated height, it's about getting the saddle the hell out of the way so you can ride the bike properly (as any MTB instructor would tell you in the first 30 seconds).

"Dropper posts are a complete waste of time if you're stuck in the 90s and never leave the saddle".

To start a thread dissing one of the biggest game-changers in MTB tech, you're kinda asking for a bit of flack...

Read the opening post, legend.

I didn't diss anything.

Presumably you also missed where I said yeah, sometimes I descend in the saddle, depending on the terrain.

One too many crashes on those black diamond trails you dominate, that you can't READ?

Anyway, sorry to distract you from your pro-level awesomeness with this frivolous enquiry, and drag you away from your clamoring fans - but in all honesty I think you should read the whole thread again, so you can see the difference between polite, informative posts and the condescending FIGJAM shit you just posted.

Mmmmkay? :yo:

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia

I didn't diss anything.

Presumably you also missed where I said yeah, sometimes I descend in the saddle, depending on the terrain.

One too many crashes on those black diamond trails you dominate, that you can't READ?

Anyway, sorry to distract you from your pro-level awesomeness with this frivolous enquiry, and drag you away from your clamoring fans - but in all honesty I think you should read the whole thread again, so you can see the difference between polite, informative posts and the condescending FIGJAM shit you just posted.

You knows I loves yous Goldie Hawn, but there's much irony in your post :faint:

Nautonier

Eats Squid

I didn't diss anything.

Jeez, seem to have struck a bit of a nerve there Goldy, sorry about that. I was actually trying to make some helpful suggestions, if a tad frivolous. If you read my posts, I have not once referred to my own riding ability; it's not about me - you're the one asking for advice and you got it. No, you're not overtly dissing droppers per se, but can you see how suggesting they are of no advantage on a 150mm bike could come across as somewhat arrogant/ignorant to the 95% who do find them useful?

Have you read Dr Suess' "Green Eggs and Ham"? This thread is beautifully mirroring the underlying theme ;)

damo666

Likes Dirt

Wow. So this bloke asks a legitimate question about whether a piece of kit is really suited to his style of riding, and is then subjected to 10 pages of people bashing him about how hardcore they are and he must be a kook?

This place is amazing. The internet....serious business.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
about how hardcore they are and he must be a kook?
No, not one person has said anything about their own riding ability, just that droppers are useful to them and perhaps the OP should persevere with his. The OP asked for advice and he got it; this is how the internet works.

golden path

Banned
Jeez, seem to have struck a bit of a nerve there Goldy, sorry about that. I was actually trying to make some helpful suggestions, if a tad frivolous. If you read my posts, I have not once referred to my own riding ability; it's not about me - you're the one asking for advice and you got it. No, you're not overtly dissing droppers per se, but can you see how suggesting they are of no advantage on a 150mm bike could come across as somewhat arrogant/ignorant to the 95% who do find them useful?

Have you read Dr Suess' "Green Eggs and Ham"? This thread is beautifully mirroring the underlying theme ;)

You weren't being helpful at all and I suspect you knew it as you posted - your post was condescending.

My original question was simple really.

"Anyone had a dropper post and removed it, due to not using it / not needing it."

So you do drop the saddle then? Would you rather get off the bike to do this or flick a lever?
No. On previous bikes without a dropper, I would NEVER drop the saddle.

Is it that hard to understand?

You do realise that people managed to ride shit before things like this came along?

Last edited:

damo666

Likes Dirt
No, not one person has said anything about their own riding ability, just that droppers are useful to them and perhaps the OP should persevere with his. The OP asked for advice and he got it; this is how the internet works.
With the utmost respect every second post is about how he must "not be doing it right", "not riding hard enough'", "MTB 101 and all that"... etc.
Condescending, patronizing and implying that he's a beginner.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
With the utmost respect every second post is about how he must "not be doing it right", "not riding hard enough'", "MTB 101 and all that"... etc.
One could argue that this is all useful feedback, if a tad harsh.

golden path

Banned
And I've got "too much bike."

Presumably every second motherfucker around here also has "too much bike" because 140mm and up bikes are pretty popular on trails around here....