Anyone have experience with AION35 EVO BOOST LO R PCS 15QLC 29

DeBloot

Feeling old
Thanks to the very helpful bargain buys thread I came across these
They seem a bargain and most peeps seem to rate the higher end Suntour forks
But before I go splashing my money around i want to make doubly sure i am buying a decent fork
Anyone have real world experience of these or the Aion in general?

I've bought the last NS Eccentric boost frame and Enigma wheelset at a pretty good price from CRC
This is a budget build (under 3K) and my first hardtail
I have a bike for anything too gnarly so this will be my stand by fun bike for smoother trails and general purpose
So I don't want to go overboard with adjustments and price, but still want something I can rely on and not give me the shits
It's either this or second hand - the higher end Suntour models are too exxy for the type of build I want

Litenbror

Eats Squid
@moorey is spot on with that problem but I will say my experience with their Australian service was great, once the warranty was cleared in the US I had parts from their Aussie distro within a couple of days.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Haven't ridden one in anger, but my experience from workshop bouncing & a bit of street testing suggests the Suntour dampers are pretty stiff, so small bump compliance isn't great, even with low spring pressure.

nathanm

Eats Squid
A burner had a set with a rattle. Turned out to be a common problem, but easily fixed. As for performance, can’t comment.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...rattle-anyone-have-experience-with-it.317315/
Still have ongoing problems with a rattle in mine since may. Had the negative spring replaced but that's not the problem. Have spoke to Suntour US, Taiwan and a bunch of different place's and they are slow to reply and difficult to deal with. They are now sending a "catridge" which they "hope" will fix the problem, but it wont. They are just really poorly made.

Christian from Bicycle Parts Wholesale seems like a good bloke but is also busy and slow to reply too (probably because I'm not in the same state).

He has said about the Aion forks, and i quote "Im at my witts ends on these forks and there rattles! Doing one at the moment and have changed everything on it from negative spring to rebound catridge and it still making noise......."

So no, for the love of god, do not buy those forks unless you want your bike to sound like a shopping trolley full of spoons cascading uncontrollably down a steep hillside.

Pit too as they were a good cheap fork. Just get a second hand recon or something.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Still have ongoing problems with a rattle in mine since may. Had the negative spring replaced but that's not the problem. Have spoke to Suntour US, Taiwan and a bunch of different place's and they are slow to reply and difficult to deal with. They are now sending a "catridge" which they "hope" will fix the problem, but it wont. They are just really poorly made.

Christian from Bicycle Parts Wholesale seems like a good bloke but is also busy and slow to reply too (probably because I'm not in the same state).

He has said about the Aion forks, and i quote "Im at my witts ends on these forks and there rattles! Doing one at the moment and have changed everything on it from negative spring to rebound catridge and it still making noise......."

So no, for the love of god, do not buy those forks unless you want your bike to sound like a shopping trolley full of spoons cascading uncontrollably down a steep hillside.

Pit too as they were a good cheap fork. Just get a second hand recon or something.
Have you contacted NSD or Cyclinic, they might know how to resolve the issue from past experience and quote on it ?

DeBloot

Feeling old

Thanks, Nathan - much appreciated
Alarm bells sounded when I saw your troubles with these in the link Moorey sent

I'm glad I asked - I was a bees dick away from ordering them but thought I would run it by the brains trust
Nothing shits me more than rattles and noises - I'd even give up a bit of performance for a quieter fork
I won't be purchasing these now, so thanks for the input - phew

Thinking a Rockshox Gold now - bit more exxy but good 'entry level' fork - I hope :p

nathanm

Eats Squid
Have you contacted NSD or Cyclinic, they might know how to resolve the issue from past experience and quote on it ?
It was a $240 fork + $25 postage. Not worth it (to me at least) to spend a cent on it. I'd much prefer to buy a basic 35mm RS and get that custom tuned, or better yet just use it and enjoy noiseless riding with a potential, but probably not, performance decrease.

moorey

call me Mia
Not sure how much custom tuning you expect to get on a basis RS fork without spending a shit ton, then still having a basic RS fork.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Not sure how much custom tuning you expect to get on a basis RS fork without spending a shit ton, then still having a basic RS fork.
huh? did I put comma's in the wrong place and make my post confusing or am I just perpetually confused? Probably it's been a long year.
Anyway my hypothesis was -
a) If I was going to pay to tune a fork (because you cant tune a fish) I wouldn't pay to get the Suntour tuned, I would instead spend the money to tune a basic RS fork. Though that in itself is redundant as the money spent on the tune could be used to instead buy a higher end RS fork.
b) I was/am going to buy a basic 35 RS fork like a Gold or Recon and just use it as is, enjoying its soundless, albeit slightly inferior actual performance over the Suntour fork

But I'm probably overthinking, it's been a tough few weeks and my brain is running at limited capacity.

Just as long as no one buys Aion forks, or expects good service from Suntour the parent company if you have issues with their product, in my experience.

moorey

call me Mia
No confusion. IMHO buying a cheap model RS fork and paying potentially substantial money to custom tune it (If that’s even feasible) is likely to lead to disappointment AND an empty wallet.

nathanm

Eats Squid
The noise complaints are literally some shrink wrap on the negative spring assembly away from completely resolving (and they only ever really showed up anyway on repeated medium sized impacts...
I don't believe this to be the case judging by my complaint and what ive read as well as the feedback from the authorised repairer. My fork knocks/rattles on rebound under any compression. You can bounce the bike up and down on the ground and the noise is as audible as it is on the trail.
Whilst I don't doubt that the noise is most likely still the spring and heat shrink will resolve the issue, the question is "if it's that easy and obvious" why aren't Suntour doing this from factory and/or doing that as a warranty resolution instead of authorising replacement of all the internals?

Flow-Rider

Burner
It was a $240 fork + $25 postage. Not worth it (to me at least) to spend a cent on it. I'd much prefer to buy a basic 35mm RS and get that custom tuned, or better yet just use it and enjoy noiseless riding with a potential, but probably not, performance decrease.
You shouldn't need to return a fork for minor issues multiple times, it's just a basic fork and it's nothing complex, you can ask to pass on the costs and you have nothing to lose by asking or better still ask for your money back.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Because the spring mostly just locks into the piston head and they have different gauge springs depending on the actual negative pressure you need for your weight. They're going to cater for that first standard deviation and catch most people, but shrink wrapping takes time and effort and also makes it a pain to switch them out if needed.
Maybe your noise issue was different, but that was about the only time I heard anything approaching a "rattle" in my fork, and it defintely needed those repeated, boming down steps, kind of scenario to have it.

I know you've probably said already, but what parts did they warranty for you?
I'm pretty sure the Aion is a completely different fork to the Durolux. I've had both an Auron r2c2 and a new Durolux rc2, the r2c2 was a bit noisy mainly the sound of oil moving around but the new rc2 is silent. I don't think we can compare the high end with the Aion, kind of like saying an RS silver will be good because the Pike and Lyric are great.