Anyone have experience with AION35 EVO BOOST LO R PCS 15QLC 29

DeBloot

Feeling old
Unfortunately, at this point in time I can't recommend the Durolux 29 R2C2 as a viable option for riders looking to upgrade their current suspension. Its performance simply doesn't measure up to the other contenders currently on the market that weigh less and offer quieter, more consistent performance.— Mike Kazimer
Ok, this is from Pinkbike 2017, but I really do not enjoy a noisy bike
I also don't have the time, inclination, or aptitude to pull forks down to identify annoying noises
And I am looking at the, I assume, older cheaper version as there is another with the equalizer and much more exxy
I lean towards the RS gold just because I'm nervous about clunky sounds setting of my misophonia haha
Sorry to keep carrying on, but I'm very anal about these types of purchases

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Unfortunately, at this point in time I can't recommend the Durolux 29 R2C2 as a viable option for riders looking to upgrade their current suspension. Its performance simply doesn't measure up to the other contenders currently on the market that weigh less and offer quieter, more consistent performance.— Mike Kazimer
Ok, this is from Pinkbike 2017, but I really do not enjoy a noisy bike
I also don't have the time, inclination, or aptitude to pull forks down to identify annoying noises
And I am looking at the, I assume, older cheaper version as there is another with the equalizer and much more exxy
I lean towards the RS gold just because I'm nervous about clunky sounds setting of my misophonia haha
Sorry to keep carrying on, but I'm very anal about these types of purchases
I believe there is a difference between the R2C2 and the RC2. The RC2 seems to be getting good reviews and no mention of noise..

nathanm

Eats Squid
I received this interesting email today after lodging a negative review on Suntour's website, surprisingly its the only time ive ever received a fast response from them. I'd encourage anyone to have a good hard think about buying any of their products as apparently they're not supported locally. I've been told to contact no less than 5 different Suntour people in both the US and Taiwan and the amount of buck passing is insane and having to still wait for repairs after 6 months is infuriating.

We had a moment to look at your review of the Aion fork you have submitted to our USA website.

It is unfortunate to have read about the problems you have encountered when having this issue examined. Our coil negative forks do make a slight amount of noise due to the 2 stage coil spring assembly as they are a mechanical component and can even be felt to some degree through the handlebars for extremely sensitive riders. Although this can be detracting for some, it by no way deters the actual performance of the product.

SR SUNTOUR has incorporated this type of coil negative spring assembly for over a decade in our highest performing product which has won countless WC events and numerous accolades from reviewers alike.

Unfortunately we do not have a service center in Australia and in these cases we rely on our distributors in those country’s to help out for any service needs for our products which based on your information they did replace the coil negative spring is this correct?

We hope that you do reconsider this review in the future and look forward to any future business you may have with us in the future.

Take care and let us know if you have any other questions.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@DeBloot any reason not to look for a 2nd hand Pike? The hard thing with the ross up here is that the Durolux, even if it makes a bit of noise, is way way better than an RS 35 with Motion Control damper etc. The cheap price point of the Durolux makes it a hard comparison.

A ~$600 2nd hand Pike RCT3 or similar shouldn’t be hard to come by.

DeBloot

Feeling old
@DeBloot any reason not to look for a 2nd hand Pike?
A ~$600 2nd hand Pike RCT3 or similar shouldn’t be hard to come by.
None
But I have the frame and wheelset looking at me and screaming ride me
So I get all impatient and keen to get the parts to put it together

Boost 29 is a little more difficult to get
But this is the direction I'm starting to think - even a Fox 34 may do
In fact, this was my original option, but the Aion looked like such good value it started me thinking new was an option

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Boost 29 is a little more difficult to get
But this is the direction I'm starting to think - even a Fox 34 may do
In fact, this was my original option, but the Aion looked like such good value it started me thinking new was an option
Yeah that was my point - the Suntours make you think new is an option but what you can get from other brands at that price point is junk comparatively.

Pike or 34 would be a good option. Put up a WTB post on some of the FB groups and you'll find something. I sold a 3-ride old Fox 34 P.Elite for $650 posted at the start of the year; a '19 Pike just went for $700 with 140 and 160mm air shafts recently. Both boost 29". There are often lots of Fox Performance Series and RS Select/Select+ forks hanging around that people have taken off new bikes to replace with fancy Kashima/Ultimate stuff.

moorey

call me Mia
I think I've said as much before, but the Durolux is the equal (if not better) than the Fox Factory 36's of the same era. I feel it's a better performer on the trail and has all the quality of life stuff about to just elevate it even further (no creaking CSU, easy maintance, etc). I had no incentive to switch back to a Factory 36 after having installed and tuned the Durolux. I have since even installed it on a bike that has had Formula Selva's and MRP Ribbon Coil's on it, both forks that cost about x2-2.5 the cost of the Durolux. Both of which I consider to be amazing forks.

Fox didn't even include the features the Durolux had onto a fork until they released the Fox 38.

Make no mistakes, it is one of the best forks out there before you even look at a price tag.
#allopinionsmatter

DeBloot

Feeling old
Make no mistakes, it is one of the best forks out there before you even look at a price tag.
I hear ya - and don't disagree
But looking at it more closely, I think it's a little too much fork for what I want it for (never thought I would say that)
And it really is above budget when I think about what I wanted to stick to originally

Bloody good feedback that certainly got me thinking and stopped me buying a crap option!

Plough

Squid
I'm pretty keen to pull the trigger on a durolux. Is everyone buying them from the suntour website and how long did delivery take?
And how much did you pay?
Yes. 2 weeks. 900 odd shipped with service kit and firm negative spring.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
If it makes it easier, if you're in Newcastle I'll do the fork spacer work for you, and make you a coffee while you wait.
If you're going to pay $650 for a 2nd hander, but wont pay $700 for a brand new, you're crazy.

Also, there's no such thing as "too much fork", just "too little man". ;)
It will be the best built fork in medical history.

DeBloot

Feeling old
If it makes it easier, if you're in Newcastle I'll do the fork spacer work for you, and make you a coffee while you wait.
If you're going to pay $650 for a 2nd hander, but wont pay $700 for a brand new, you're crazy.

Also, there's no such thing as "too much fork", just "too little man". ;)
Ok, after more research and re-reading this thread I just pulled the pin on the durolux RC2

So make mine a soy flat white thanks Zaf. Will you also provide cake :p
And the spacers as they are sold out and want to run it at 140mm travel

Slight disappointment - put in the FALL2020 and defaulted me to the FIRSTORDR somehow
Anyway, $680AUD rather than under $650 - I'll forget about that soon enough

Thanks for the input from everyone - thumbs up to Rotobum