Armstrong Charged with Doping

akashra

Eats Squid
I am so bored of hearing about doping claims and drug cheats...
Cycling needs more sex-change/homophobic scandals instead?
Maybe we just get cycling news to run like a tabloid, it'll be all about who's dating who and very public child custody battles?

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
I'm not only referring to cycling.. It's the sports world in general that annoys me, and the sensationalist media driven hype that surrounds everything that happens.

I would prefer to hear about racism, homophobia and transgenderism in competitive sport any day. It would just be worthless media driven slander anyways...

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cycling needs more sex-change/homophobic scandals instead?
Maybe we just get cycling news to run like a tabloid, it'll be all about who's dating who and very public child custody battles?
speaking of children of cyclists - is it just me or does Cadel's kid not look a lot like him???? :p

Back On Topic, it must be pretty embarassing for UCI to have had this happen over such a long period and have been unable (or unwilling as some say) to have caught him and others. Shows that you can beat the system, as long as you don't do it in such a way as to attract too much attention - ie winning so many TDFs

DeBloot

Feeling old
Back On Topic, it must be pretty embarassing for UCI to have had this happen over such a long period and have been unable (or unwilling as some say) to have caught him and others. Shows that you can beat the system, as long as you don't do it in such a way as to attract too much attention - ie winning so many TDFs[/QUOTE]

Well, it should be more than embarrassing
It seems that after winning the 2001 Tour of Switzerland, LA was openly admitting he tested positive to EPO but 'made the results go away' by 'making a financial agreement to keep the positive test hidden'
He and his right hand man Bruyneel arranged a meeting at the UCI headquarters and made a $100 000 'contribution to the development of cycling'
The current UCI president confirms that the 2 visited the UCI headquarters and made the donation
But of course he 'vehemently denies' that it was in any way related to the cover up that LA was very open in talking about to his (at the time) trusted co-conspirators Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton

See p53 for details

http://www.scribd.com/doc/109619079/Reasoned-Decision

Last edited:

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Well, it should be more than embarrassing
It seems that after winning the 2001 Tour of Switzerland, LA was openly admitting he tested positive to EPO but 'made the results go away' by 'making a financial agreement to keep the positive test hidden'
He and his right hand man Bruyneel arranged a meeting at the UCI headquarters and made a $100 000 'contribution to the development of cycling'
The current UCI president confirms that the 2 visited the UCI headquarters and made the donation
But of course he 'vehemently denies' that it was in any way related to the cover up that LA was very open in talking about to his (at the time) trusted co-conspirators Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton

See p53 for details

http://www.scribd.com/doc/109619079/Reasoned-Decision
I think the andreas kloden drug issue was similar to armstrong "development contribution"......kloden tests positive, not charged because he made a $25 000 donation to charity....uci is just as bad as riders were

MARKL

Eats Squid
Seems that more were on the juice that weren't! That's just ace.:yell:
I also think that makes the efforts of those not on the juice all the more worthy. The level playing argument is complete bullshit IMO.

But for the Lance fan bois I thought I would be helpful...so you can recognise how you are progressing (apologies to Kubler-Ross).

Denial — "Lance never tested positive to drugs"
Denial is usually only a temporary defense, about 12 years for the average Lance fan boi. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of the 7 TdF titles lost. Denial can be conscious or unconscious refusal to accept facts, information, or the reality of the situation. Denial is a defense mechanism and some people can become locked in this stage.

Anger — "Its a witch hunt", "what about all the lives he has saved with Livestrong"
Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to reason with due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Anger can manifest itself in different ways. People can be angry with themselves, or with others, and especially those who are close to them. It is important to remain detached and nonjudgmental when dealing with a person experiencing anger from grief of TdF victories lost.

Bargaining — "everyone else was doing it."; "he was just leveling the playing field...", "it wasn't just the drugs it was training and natural ability..."
The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay the loss of 7 TdF titles and Olympic medal. Usually, the negotiation for keeping the 7 TdF titles is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle, we call this 'Livestrong'. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand he doped but Livestong makes up for it... leveling the playing field...". Bargaining rarely provides a sustainable solution, especially if it's a matter of TdF or Olympic medals.

Depression — "Everyone does it, what is the point of following road bike riding"; "it isn't the same without Lance"; "I can't watch the TdF anymore"
During the fourth stage, the fan boi begins to understand the certainty of Lance being a dirty rotten lowlife cheat. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the fan boi to disconnect from his love of Lance. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up a fan boi who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed. Depression could be referred to as the dress rehearsal for the 'aftermath'. It is a kind of acceptance with emotional attachment. It's natural to feel sadness, regret, fear, and uncertainty when going through this stage. Feeling those emotions shows that the person has begun to accept that Lance is a cheat.

Acceptance — "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well accept Lance is a cheat."
In this last stage, individuals begin to come to terms with Lance's lie. This stage varies according to the person's situation. Lance entered this stage in July 2012 when he elected not to contest the charges by USADA, a long time before the fan bois he left behind, who must pass through their own individual stages of dealing with the grief.

Last edited:

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Sounds like White is genuinely sorry and hopefully he'll be fine. I doubt you'd find many people who under the pressure of do it and be in an extremely successful team or don't and you'll be kicked off the team would choose the later. I doubt I would.

"The riders who participated in the USPS Team doping conspiracy and truthfully assisted have been courageous in making the choice to stop perpetuating the sporting fraud, and they have suffered greatly," USADA said in a written statement.

"In addition to the public revelations, the active riders have been suspended and disqualified appropriately in line with the rules. In some part, it would have been easier for them if it all would just go away; however, they love the sport, and they want to help young athletes have hope that they are not put in the position they were -- to face the reality that in order to climb to the heights of their sport they had to sink to the depths of dangerous cheating."
Actually starting to come round to USADA, especially after reading statements like that.

Denial — "Lance never tested positive to drugs"
Denial is usually only a temporary defense, about 12 years for the average Lance fan boi. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of the 7 TdF titles lost. Denial can be conscious or unconscious refusal to accept facts, information, or the reality of the situation. Denial is a defense mechanism and some people can become locked in this stage.

Anger — "Its a witch hunt", "what about all the lives he has saved with Livestrong"
Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to reason with due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Anger can manifest itself in different ways. People can be angry with themselves, or with others, and especially those who are close to them. It is important to remain detached and nonjudgmental when dealing with a person experiencing anger from grief of TdF victories lost.

Bargaining — "everyone else was doing it."; "he was just leveling the playing field...", "it wasn't just the drugs it was training and natural ability..."
The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay the loss of 7 TdF titles and Olympic medal. Usually, the negotiation for keeping the 7 TdF titles is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle, we call this 'Livestrong'. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand he doped but Livestong makes up for it... leveling the playing field...". Bargaining rarely provides a sustainable solution, especially if it's a matter of TdF or Olympic medals.

Depression — "Everyone does it, what is the point of following road bike riding"; "it isn't the same without Lance"; "I can't watch the TdF anymore"
During the fourth stage, the fan boi begins to understand the certainty of Lance being a dirty rotten lowlife cheat. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the fan boi to disconnect from his love of Lance. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up a fan boi who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed. Depression could be referred to as the dress rehearsal for the 'aftermath'. It is a kind of acceptance with emotional attachment. It's natural to feel sadness, regret, fear, and uncertainty when going through this stage. Feeling those emotions shows that the person has begun to accept that Lance is a cheat.

Acceptance — "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well accept Lance is a cheat."
In this last stage, individuals begin to come to terms with Lance's lie. This stage varies according to the person's situation. Lance entered this stage in July 2012 when he elected not to contest the charges by USADA, a long time before the fan bois he left behind, who must pass through their own individual stages of dealing with the grief.
Is there a point you're trying to get across? Just makes you sound like a douchebag.

crosser

Likes Dirt
The best refutation of the "level playing field" fallacy is what Daniel Coyle, the co-author of Tyler Hamilton’s new book told Velonews:

"When everyone can dope, it becomes a contest of who has the best information, who has the best access, who has the best doctor, and who has the most money. That’s what this contest is — it’s a chess game of information, connections and money. And whoever wins that chess game has the better chance of winning the Tour. What happens when you have a situation when there aren’t strong regulations, and people can dope, it’s the opposite of a level field, it’s a hugely distorted playing field, and it’s tilted toward people with access, with information and with money. And that’s the game you want to avoid playing. The level playing field of doping is a total myth."

Big JD

Wheel size expert
pretty sure Markl was simply stating the emotional lifecycle for any major change. I know as a self confessed Lance fan over the years - I have gone through denial, anger, blame and acceptance. It seems the only person still stuck at denial is Lance - it is pretty lonely place to be - everyone else has moved along. Interesting to see were cycling is on that change journey.
douche bag is a bit rough mate
crosser - good post - I am tried of hearing - let everyone take it then it will be even.

Knut

Troll hunter
After being a part of the Warny on the weekend, I find that complying with the rules is the best way to get spat out the back. The depth of abuse of the rules is so incomprehendable in road cycling it will be a very, very long road to recovery.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
After being a part of the Warny on the weekend, I find that complying with the rules is the best way to get spat out the back. The depth of abuse of the rules is so incomprehendable in road cycling it will be a very, very long road to recovery.
Man, i'd love to hear this elaborated upon. What happened/is happening?

wavike

Likes Dirt
The best refutation of the "level playing field" fallacy is what Daniel Coyle, the co-author of Tyler Hamilton’s new book told Velonews:

"When everyone can dope, it becomes a contest of who has the best information, who has the best access, who has the best doctor, and who has the most money. That’s what this contest is — it’s a chess game of information, connections and money. And whoever wins that chess game has the better chance of winning the Tour. What happens when you have a situation when there aren’t strong regulations, and people can dope, it’s the opposite of a level field, it’s a hugely distorted playing field, and it’s tilted toward people with access, with information and with money. And that’s the game you want to avoid playing. The level playing field of doping is a total myth."
The crew with the best gear/doctors/physio/Nutritionist/strategist will always have an advantage. There is no level playing field except in one class racing all with the same coaching. The line between legal and doping gets blurred in the will to win at any cost. There are legal Supplements Drugs etc etc and illegal, but max performance is what counts at the big end of town not fairness. Try saying no more than 10hrs training per week is legal and see who sticks to it.

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the heads up. Let's see what the mainstream media make of this...

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/art...ian-cycling-legend-witnessed-armstrong-bribe/

Seems that the four corners story includes information on Phil Anderson's involvement (he witnessed the bribe, apparently) in Armstrong bribing officials. I hope Phil stays clean through all this. He is a true legend of Aussie cycling and the number of "legends" scalps is increasing. Overall it is sad for the sport, but hopefully the turning point is not far away.

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Saw 4 corners tonight. Lance just needs to man up and confess. In Lances mind, he has everything to lose, 7 TDF victories, Livestrong + whatever else he has going on. Those who have confessed just get a slap on the wrist and go about life the following day. Matt White for instance made his statement, stood down from Greenedge & Cycling Australia, now the talk is he may be staying on and continuing in these roles....if he didn't use drugs at the time, he probably wouldn't have got a ride (in Lances team in the TDF) by the sounds of things.

Lance, if you are in rotorburn, give us the scoop...ta