Attn: Mike&Nat, can you please explain...

mikey55

Likes Dirt
My 2 cents, I'd like to see more name and shame threads provided everything was done privately to resolve it first. I've been totally screwed over on sales by 2 members on here. I reported it to Grip as an FYI, knowing he couldn't do anything, but aside from leaving iTrader feedback, some punks get off scott free after really doing a number on people. OK, i'm still bitter about the recent one, sorry, rant over.
I've previously had communications (not sales) with M&N over stuff for sale. I had good dealings with 'them', but as i said, no sale eventuated.
Firstly, this is not an attack on Moorey. His comment just sets a good backdrop for how I see the whole forum trading deal.

It's an open forum. I could be posing as a 42 y.o. Building Contractor. But I'm not. I'm trying to be the honest 20y.o uni student I am. If you don't buy my story, don't buy my stuff. To use myself as an example: If I describe an item to you and I quite obviously am not telling the truth then you are welcome to chase me down with the details you manage to uncover about me. If however something is wrong that I have not described, or you have not asked about in particular how is it that I am supposed to be responsible? I'm not an expert, I've worked on about 3 bikes, some things I won't know anything about, so don't expect me to comment on a components degraded condition if it doesn't stand out to me.

It's called risk. Try and minimise it, but don't ever expect it to be completely eliminated.

Mike

moorey

call me Mia
Firstly, this is not an attack on Moorey. His comment just sets a good backdrop for how I see the whole forum trading deal.

It's an open forum. I could be posing as a 42 y.o. Building Contractor. But I'm not. I'm trying to be the honest 20y.o uni student I am. If you don't buy my story, don't buy my stuff. To use myself as an example: If I describe an item to you and I quite obviously am not telling the truth then you are welcome to chase me down with the details you manage to uncover about me. If however something is wrong that I have not described, or you have not asked about in particular how is it that I am supposed to be responsible? I'm not an expert, I've worked on about 3 bikes, some things I won't know anything about, so don't expect me to comment on a components degraded condition if it doesn't stand out to me.

It's called risk. Try and minimise it, but don't ever expect it to be completely eliminated.

Mike
I basically agree, but serial offenders need to be outed, unless it is obviously misleading onfo, or if the matter has unsucessfully been attempted to be resolved privately first. The 2 that screwed me were 'suck shit, ya get that for trusting people you don't know' type responses. Both I had gone out of my way in good faith to assist them (extended payment period, chasing up free interstate shipping), and both didn't bother to tell me until I chased them up for payment status/shipping addresses after agreeing to the deal.
Nothing against M&N here, but he/they aren't noobs like you may be, IMHO, they MAY have never known about the steerer alterations, but if they say they didn't, I have to believe them. Surely the previous seller is on here and can show his face to clear or implicate them/him....or I bet that if M&N DID know, they would have let it slip at some stage to friends and aquaintences.....'fession time', I think, lads;)
BTW, I have absolutely NO affiliation with M&N, only PM a couple of times over the last 4 years about stuff for sale. ('simpsons style' disclaimer incase he/they turn out to be about as honest as little Johnny:eek:)

steel-o

Likes Dirt
resolution

just to let all you followers of this thread, that mike and nat offered to have my steerer welded!

I said no thanks, but how about 100 dollars to show a bit of compasion as i had had to shell out for a new set of pikes. I was quite willing to share to cost of getting some new ones and a hundred bucks was more jesture than any thing else. They could of got themselves out of a mess and the both of us learned a little. but i've had no repsonse from them.

draw your own conclusions. and who had the bike before them why are they silent on this. draw your own conclusions.

I wish them all the best in their life, because things like this have a surprising knack of coming back round in a few years when you least suspect it.

Ying Yang and all that.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I said no thanks, but how about 100 dollars to show a bit of compasion as i had had to shell out for a new set of pikes. I was quite willing to share to cost of getting some new ones and a hundred bucks was more jesture than any thing else. They could of got themselves out of a mess and the both of us learned a little. but i've had no repsonse from them.

im going to get flamed... but why should they fund your new forks.... why didnt you just make them pay for Grip to put in a new steerer for like 80 dollars or what ever it is????

Uncle Toby

Likes Bikes
I said no thanks, but how about 100 dollars to show a bit of compasion as i had had to shell out for a new set of pikes.

Mate, they offered to get the problem fixed so just because you want new forks doesn't mean they should pay for them.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Mate, they offered to get the problem fixed so just because you want new forks doesn't mean they should pay for them.
exactly, its like some one running into the back of your car... them offering to fix your bumper... but you say no, i want a new car.

i know Rik said dont post in this thread uless you have something to do with it.. but the post i am replying to needed to be replied to (both times).

Binaural

Eats Squid
^^^ Agreed. If they sold the forks in good faith without knowing about the dodgy steerer, then offering to have it professionally repaired to an as-new state by a reputable engineer like Grip at their expense is the right thing to do. Why not accept their offer? That way you get a spare pair of Pikes you can sell with a clear conscience (probably for more than $100 as well) or keep them for spares.

arpit

Banned
Can we make a rule? I believe it will help us all.

It's roughly similar to the 'pics or it didn't happen' rule.

I call it 'primary sources or it isn't law'.

If you are going to make descriptive statements in relation to the current state of the law, you should back them up with cases or statutes. A close second best would be a statement that you are currently qualified to practice in the legal profession.

This should reduce some of the misinformation floating around.

Bodin

GMBC
Can we make a rule? I believe it will help us all.

It's roughly similar to the 'pics or it didn't happen' rule.

I call it 'primary sources or it isn't law'.

If you are going to make descriptive statements in relation to the current state of the law, you should back them up with cases or statutes. A close second best would be a statement that you are currently qualified to practice in the legal profession.

This should reduce some of the misinformation floating around.
Ah... no. Considering our demographic (lots of young people, lots of people who haven't studied law, etc...) I see a lot of danger in allowing people to rely on legal terminology instead of common sense.

"Pics or it didn't happen" and "You're responsible for what you sell" are the only things we need to follow here.