Australian Army Ration Packs

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I see you ham and eggs and raise it one luncheon meat type 2, and maybe even a biscuit cereal!
Are you sh*tting me??!! Biscuit Cereal rocked! I loved those things.

The new rats don't have tobasco? That's a bit rough. Plus, I loved the dehydes, they tasted fine by me. Only problem was that you needed to hump the water for them too if you didn't have good resupp.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Are you sh*tting me??!! Biscuit Cereal rocked! I loved those things.

The new rats don't have tobasco? That's a bit rough. Plus, I loved the dehydes, they tasted fine by me. Only problem was that you needed to hump the water for them too if you didn't have good resupp.
If you had the time and could be bothered the cereal biscuit could be boiled with sugar for a type of porridge so I have to give you that. Aside from that they were just constapation in a block.

I do rate the new dehyd's. They are in their forte in the snow when water is everywhere you look. Like all of them repetition can be a killer though.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I used to gnaw on them when on picquet, sometimes sweetening them up with sweetened condensed. Kept me interested. Another hated tin was beef and gravy, or commonly known as beef and aorta. A bladder with two cordials and six sugars could give you a decent sugar kick when bored too!

Macr

Likes Dirt
*Reggy voice* "are you fucking shitting me?!" :p

I reckon Menu C is the better one out of the 5s,
Benefits of being in the airforce :p. I agree about menu C, but jog my memory, was that the one with the Ravioli? Oh BTW, I haven't tried the new dehydrate rat packs yet.

Last edited:

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Some of these quotes are making me reminisce and I actually had some keen memories of these different food types. Then the beer wore off; the food did the job and kept you going. You aren't there as a food critic so it is only fitting.

Macr, I may see around the traps soon...

Hungry

Likes Dirt
Originally Posted by NCR600
The only way to stop the average soldier from feeling horny is to load the Bromide into a 155mm Howitzer shell and fire it at him from the waist down.
i dunno about that, battle wanks usually works for me, then coming back to ya pit nd telling ya mates how good it was :D

just be a real man and eat the sh*t cold dont need none of this cooking sh*t

best thing to do with cordial when your bored is save as many as you can, tear the tops off, fill the satchels full of water, mix it round a bit and down the hatch! keep skulling until someone breaks!...... good times!:D

off topic here but get them puri tabs and put them on your tounge and see who can disolve theirs the quickest!:D

2 things

THE UBER BREW: made from 1 24hr ration pack
Contains:Choc, Condensed milk, All sugars, all coffee, all tea bags,

Meathod: Melt choc on hexi stove in cups canteen add small amout of water. Use your mates cup canteen to make the tea and coffee about half of the canteen full. Add tea/coffee to choc when melted add condensed milk and sugars. Its creates a thick gooey drink that is enough to keep 2 people up all night on picket.

Cheescake/apple crumble
I forgot most of how we did it but pretty much made the crumble out of biscuits and a little butter. Then put either the apple or the cheese/condensed milk into a canteen and cooked it up. It was fantastic best thing ever on day 4 of a 5 day camp.

Last edited:

Buck

Likes Bikes
Not the tastiest things thats for sure. Even nastier when you don't have time to heat them up and have to eat them straight out of the packet in winter.

:(

dcrofty

Eats Squid
If you are going to heat the cheese up make sure you puncture the tin (or at least dent it and keep a good eye on it) before putting it in the fire.

Watching a mate being hit in the leg with a steaming gob of cheese was hilarious to all but him.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I was in armoured corp, so we eat like kings. 10man rats for 4 people, plus we could carry heaps of water, fresh milk, bread, tomato sauce etc.
Oh, and we NEVER used hex's. Gas bottle with a cooker on it.
Winter time at Punka meant canned stew in toasted sammos. bloody awesome.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I was in armoured corp, so we eat like kings. 10man rats for 4 people, plus we could carry heaps of water, fresh milk, bread, tomato sauce etc.
Oh, and we NEVER used hex's. Gas bottle with a cooker on it.
Winter time at Punka meant canned stew in toasted sammos. bloody awesome.
Got to be said:

Pogo!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Persons On Garrison Operations.

Basically, it was a term coined for people in the army who never really leave the base when on operations. Then it became people who aren't in combat roles. IT has since developed into a term for any type of soldier not in an infantry unit. Now it has become anyone who is or was never a paratrooper. But as far as I'm concerned, it's a fitting label for anyone who was never an assault pioneer in an airbourne unit..., no, wait, it means anyone who is not me. :)

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Out in the field for lunch I remember 'cooking' the beef stroganoff sealed pack on the top of an old car bonnet. After leaving it there baking in the sun for a few hours it warmed up enough to be perfectly tasty.

Can't stand the cheese though. Remember putting twenty tins of cheese in a rat pack tin and clamping it down. We were too scared to go near the fire all night. Every five minutes....BOOM!

Muesli Bars, chocolate, crackers, vegemite; and the tinned fruit! Best part of the pack was the morning tinned fruit. I always savoured that.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Got to be said:

Pogo!
I don't know if I invented this phrase or heard it and claimed it as my own; "There is a fine line between a hard c*nt and a dumb c*nt".

Whenever the grunts would walk past and throw the "pogo" comments around I would sob into my well cooked meal and dessert and wish I was carrying my body weight in food, water and ammo while not seeing civilisation for months on end. Oh how I wanted that Spartan lifestyle...