Australian Nationals Adelaide 2010

johndh

Likes Dirt
Not going to get many riders if they don't get some advertising or rego out soon, maybe they don't want many, only the Elite? Interesting there is no advertising for the Nationals on the MTBA calendar!

akashra

Eats Squid
Not going to get many riders if they don't get some advertising or rego out soon, maybe they don't want many, only the Elite? Interesting there is no advertising for the Nationals on the MTBA calendar!
John,

They're aware of the situation and are just about ready to start getting everything out there, including updating the calendar.

As for Eagle tyres, I was happy with Crossmarks there, but I would hate them in the pics I saw from the 07 event.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
John,

They're aware of the situation and are just about ready to start getting everything out there, including updating the calendar.
I'll believe it when I see it... a few (very few) comments made a month or so back about things being advertised have now evaporated (much like the water in the Murray..) And Adelaide has the honors for a few years...!!??

What's the local news? Bring your own water as there's not enough to go around? Bring your freezer bricks to put in your backpack as Adelaide in summer could be 40+C... :);)

Stay home

I'll believe it when I see it... a few (very few) comments made a month or so back about things being advertised have now evaporated (much like the water in the Murray..) And Adelaide has the honors for a few years...!!??
What's the local news? Bring your own water as there's not enough to go around? Bring your freezer bricks to put in your backpack as Adelaide in summer could be 40+C...
Negative comments and sarcasim - really don't help. The National Championships are put on by a couple of clubs = that would be the same as you possibly belong to. They are doing it cos they are mountain bikers and trail builders.

Sure it ain't perfect BUT I don't see many hands up to help. Personally I am looking forward to the new 4X and new track combinations.

sitrus7

Likes Bikes
Update

Hey All,

The organising consortium has had huge issues getting sponsors due to the GFC. Getting sponsors has been the focus.

I have been working for the last couple of days doing the content on the new site which was delivered several weeks late. I hope to have both the online registration and the website up by tomorrow.

If you find any mistakes or find it confusing let me know early because i will get the developer onto it asap.

If you are desperate for a draft schedule email PM me and I will email you.

All I ask is that you joing the face book page so we can beat the tour down under in Fans!! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eagle-Champs/117873619302?ref=ts Just need a couple hundred and we have them. :D

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
I have been working for the last couple of days doing the content on the new site which was delivered several weeks late. I hope to have both the online registration and the website up by tomorrow.
Thanks.

Quite seriously - conditions may possibly be very hot at that time of year.... what contingencies for timing of events?

Ninja Cougar

Likes Bikes
Well, the eaglechamps website is up and running now -- hope you can find what you're looking for on it. I can see what you mean about the facebook page MittagongMTB -- the info to date has been really interesting for us locals, but probably not to interstaters.

You could have a point about the hot weather, would be interesting to hear what the contingency plans are. It's not just an Adelaide thing though -- January just about anywhere could be the same.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Tried to enter for the Nationals online via the MTBA entry site, when I came to category there was only 2 that I could enter in Elite or Sport male. I assume this is a mistake or ? I would be battling to last 2 laps before getting pulled off the track.

johndh

Likes Dirt
As for sponsorship I don't think it is only the TDU that inhibits sponsors, I believe that CORC and other organisers have found a similar thing?? Could be wrong but??

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Corporate Sponsorship

On the sponsorship front - for an event like this (or other event of similar value/size) what sort of dollars are we talking to be as title sponsor?

No need for specific details - of course it is confidential - but are we talking 1000's or 10,000's?

Cheers.

sitrus7

Likes Bikes
Basically getting sponsors is a very special skill. It also takes a long time. It usually has to happen in the previous financial year so that big companies can get it in their budgets. You have to know what your product is and in most cases this is hard to quantify.

eg. Sponsor says "how many people will see my banner at the race.
Event manager says "depends on, how many people turn up, if it gets on the tv, if it gets in magazines, and if it gets in news papers.
Sponsor says. "What did you get lat year?"
Event manager "Don't know, this is the first time we have run this event at this spot." etc

You cant run a race on "In kind" sponsorship. You need cash to pay for things like generators and toilets and audio etc etc. You tend to get offered bags and bags of forks frames t-shirts muslie bars etc etc etc.

As for naming rights sponsorship. There is no set price or a range. The people running these races aren't marketing experts. We are riders struggling to get it all together between full time jobs and lives.

If you are a sponsorship expert I would love to hear how much and who is willing to sponsor these races.

akashra

Eats Squid
On the sponsorship front - for an event like this (or other event of similar value/size) what sort of dollars are we talking to be as title sponsor?

No need for specific details - of course it is confidential - but are we talking 1000's or 10,000's?

Cheers.
When I was involved in HPV racing, 30-50k was minor sponsorship. The real title sponsors were in the order of 300k-2.5m per year.
This was for an event that pulled in maybe 80,000 people a year. Around the time I was getting out of that, I was working with one of the younger guys who was taking over to try to arrange two packages worth 30k and 100k. On about 2 weeks notice to an event, I pulled 3k of product sponsorship from DLink. Similarly in the last 12 months I've worked on 16k of accepted grants for trails development, which equated to only really maybe 10 hours of actual work. Keep in mind I have no marketing background - I'm an IT guy, so I'd imagine someone who knows what they're doing could manage this easily.

At a recent clubs meeting I suggested a figure of around 50k to run a particular event, and got someone laughed down by the others in the room - they were targeting a much lower figure. I don't think some people quite grasp either how willing companies can be to sponsor events, or what's required* to make an event run well.

* = Or if not required, significantly helpful in its place.

There's this attitude we've seen from a few people that mountain biking is 'not a marketable sport'. To that I call bullshit, and so have most others who overheard this comment.

Edit: Yay, 1,000 rants!

Last edited:

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
When I was involved in HPV racing, 30-50k was minor sponsorship. The real title sponsors were in the order of 300k-2.5m per year.
This was for an event that pulled in maybe 80,000 people a year. Around the time I was getting out of that, I was working with one of the younger guys who was taking over to try to arrange two packages worth 30k and 100k. On about 2 weeks notice to an event, I pulled 3k of product sponsorship from DLink. Similarly in the last 12 months I've worked on 16k of accepted grants for trails development, which equated to only really maybe 10 hours of actual work. Keep in mind I have no marketing background - I'm an IT guy, so I'd imagine someone who knows what they're doing could manage this easily.

At a recent clubs meeting I suggested a figure of around 50k to run a particular event, and got someone laughed down by the others in the room - they were targeting a much lower figure. I don't think some people quite grasp either how willing companies can be to sponsor events, or what's required* to make an event run well.

* = Or if not required, significantly helpful in its place.

There's this attitude we've seen from a few people that mountain biking is 'not a marketable sport'. To that I call bullshit, and so have most others who overheard this comment.

Edit: Yay, 1,000 rants!
Excellent - this is what I was talking about.
I'm not trying to critise or suggest that its not been done well, but if we are talking a 10-50k number, it is significantly easier (but of course, still not easy) than a 6figure number.

Remember - one companies financial crisis, is anothers boom time. Not everyone is hurting.
As an example - do you reckon people have tightened their Coke drinking habits due to the GFC? Or stopped buying milk?
Look at Jayco - they've put some real cash up for CA.
I am not an IT guy, but do work in a field where I 'advise' firms on what do with their money - if they have too much, or if they have too little, where to put it.
20k is not a huge amount of money for a bigger firm, and these things snowball - get one, you'll get another. Its a confidence trick.

akashra

Eats Squid
Excellent - this is what I was talking about.
Yeah. I believe (and I could be completely off-ball) the Nationals to be a 100k event, and should aim to be a 200k event. A large amount of this needs to be advertising - getting Average Joe to come and watch our best. Eagle Park isn't a perfect venue for this (getting average Joe to go to something that's already in the city rather than out of it, in that regard), but it's what we've got. It's about as close as you'll get in Adelaide, or most major cities.

Personally, I do not believe we do anywhere near enough cross-promotion - both in the sponsors we (cycling) attract and the spectators we draw in. If it were me as a company, I don't want to be preaching to the converted - we shouldn't be going back to the days where we have DiamondBack as a title sponsor. We should be targeting companies like Be Natural (who as a competitor I thought were a great type of sponsor to have at Adelaide, and fwiw that sponsorship got me hooked on their product) or Toyota/Mazda/Dailmer-Crystler or MTV or Austereo or PPG. Those kinds of groups.
Just my 2c.

butlerhr

Likes Bikes
Yeah. I believe (and I could be completely off-ball) the Nationals to be a 100k event, and should aim to be a 200k event. A large amount of this needs to be advertising - getting Average Joe to come and watch our best. Eagle Park isn't a perfect venue for this (getting average Joe to go to something that's already in the city rather than out of it, in that regard), but it's what we've got. It's about as close as you'll get in Adelaide, or most major cities.

Personally, I do not believe we do anywhere near enough cross-promotion - both in the sponsors we (cycling) attract and the spectators we draw in. If it were me as a company, I don't want to be preaching to the converted - we shouldn't be going back to the days where we have DiamondBack as a title sponsor. We should be targeting companies like Be Natural (who as a competitor I thought were a great type of sponsor to have at Adelaide, and fwiw that sponsorship got me hooked on their product) or Toyota/Mazda/Dailmer-Crystler or MTV or Austereo or PPG. Those kinds of groups.
Just my 2c.
Thought provoking thread. FWIW......

Regarding sponsors, while only only a newby, let's start with Subaru (how many do you see i the car parks) and Skoda saw it wise enough to launch using Elite Road Cycling as a vehicle. Look at all the AWD/4WDs parked at races, tracks etc. There's gotta be a manifacturer of cars or accessories how'd like a cut. Geez, look at the bikes, we're clearly not broke.

What about a Health Fund, that's the perfect relationship? We're fit AND we injury ourselves!

AND, what about our mates at Giant? They're known as the 'Toyota of Bicycles' and sell millions of dollars worth of bikes every year in Australia. Surely, they have a healthy marketing budget and a conscience?......

Eddie (the Oracle)

Last edited:

Antsonline

Likes Dirt

Just my 2c.
I do have friends that work in the sports management / sponsorship arena, and was represented by them when I was worth it.
The golden rule is to look outside of the sport.
We all know how much of a shoestring most manufacturers are run on - and also most of these firms are run by enthusiasts, not business people.
The approach needs to be on a professional level, with a strong value proposition to CFO and Marketing directors - unfortunately (and it has only worked a bit in the past) most of us go to friends and industry contacts who really just dont have enough money to rish throwing away the price of an annual salary on an event.

Recent big deals (i.e. the big impact sponsors for cycling) - Sky, Jayco, Discovery Channel, VW, Subaru etc etc).
An MTB events needs financially are not even close to the amount that these people have put in.
As I say, its about having a good value proposition, and targetting the right people in the right firms..

johndh

Likes Dirt
This sounds great, but the reality is most (if not all!)promoters find it difficult to get sponsors, and a number of promoters are well qualified people with a variety of contacts and knowledge. The fact is MTB is not a good spectator sport (especially XC) and we don't at present have the image nor the media coverage of football, soccer, motorcycles, even running eg marathons etc. Until we are able increase the media coverage why would bigger sponsors put in 30k? I am sure that most promoters of MTB would be rapt if someone could show them how to entice big business to sponsor their events!