Australian Solo MTB Champs - Easter 2010?

Optimus

Likes Bikes
Email just sent to MTBA

Hi there,

There has been a lot of discussion, particularly in online forums, between riders wanting to know where the 2010 Solo 24-hr National championships will be held with the existing contract with CORC expiring this year.

There is even slight concern with the time left to request submissions, review them and announce a new club/promoter for the next few years, while still giving everyone enough time to prepare for the event. As you would be aware there is an increased interest in the national champsionships with the announcement that the 2010 Solo 24 hour World Championships will be in Canberra.

Therefore can I ask that an announcement be made by MTBA to the riding community in regards to the actions that MTBA is looking to take in regards to this.

Thanks,
Interesting to see what reply I get.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Hmmm... taken from the tender document.

Australian Solo 24Hr MTB Championship dates
The Australian Solo 24Hr MTB Championship is not to be run within 30 days either side of the MTBA
Australian MTB Championships, otherwise there are no specific date requirements for the race at which
the Solo 24hr MTB championship is determined. The date for the 2010 MTBA Australian MTB
Championships is 12 - 17 January.
Race Concurrency, Duration and Entry
The Australian Solo 24 Hour MTB Championship race must be conducted as a Solo-only race. The 24
hour Solo MTB Championships can be held in concert with a 24hr Teams competition but only if the Solo​
Championship’s course is completely separate from the Teams course except for the start and finish areas.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Please tell me that CORC are going to bid for Easter to be the national titles, it will so much easier to convince the missus we need to spend Easter in Canberra for a shot at National glory!

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
The Australian Solo 24 Hour MTB Championship race must be conducted as a Solo-only race. The 24
hour Solo MTB Championships can be held in concert with a 24hr Teams competition but only if the Solo
Championship’s course is completely separate from the Teams course except for the start and finish areas.
That is sweet news, team riders are nice and all, but whippets pushing people over aint (my wife just got back from nuclear medicine where they were doing bone scans due to whippets pushing her over at the Scott) ;)

Having no teams at the Easter CORC 24 has made it super laid back, but not really financially viable I gather... although this year, with the airfare to Solo Worlds being a domestic fare, maybe it will be the most financially viable Solo Nats yet as that should save a few grand ;)

I hope they have the same story (separate tracks, or at least partially separate, like in Canmore) for Solo Worlds at the Scott next year (but realise they are under completely different governance).

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Le Matelot has said a few times its being run regardless of it being Nationals or not, so clearly the income from the race isn't an issue.

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Le Matelot has said a few times its being run regardless of it being Nationals or not, so clearly the income from the race isn't an issue.
It's not an issue for CORC who run the Easter Nationals at a loss, propped up by profits from the Scott 24hr, and god bless them for being that generous.

It would be an issue for an another club to run it as a solo only event I imagine (they would have to cover the costs from some other big event they run, or have less prizes [CORC give flights to the Worlds to male and female winners] and equipment), and a show stopper for a private promoter.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
The income isn't an issue - its the expenditure :rolleyes:

Looking at the MTBA tender, there is no mandatory level of prizes specified. Previously, it was $1000 + airfare to USA/Canada.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
It would be an issue for an another club to run it as a solo only event I imagine (they would have to cover the costs from some other big event they run, or have less prizes [CORC give flights to the Worlds to male and female winners] and equipment), and a show stopper for a private promoter.
Unless we all hardened up and actually paid entry proportionally to the cost of the event (and not whinged about it)

Personally, there are a couple of great venues in NSW ( Port Macq, Kangaroo Valley) and a few in Vic (Forrest for one) off the top of my head that I think would make great Solo Nats venues. Cost/organisation etc aside...

Cheers
Gonz

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Unless we all hardened up and actually paid entry proportionally to the cost of the event (and not whinged about it)

Personally, there are a couple of great venues in NSW ( Port Macq, Kangaroo Valley) and a few in Vic (Forrest for one) off the top of my head that I think would make great Solo Nats venues. Cost/organisation etc aside...

Cheers
Gonz
I was just thinking about how they could run 2 separate loops at Telegraph point. I have a plan :)

DaGonz

Eats Squid
electricity to all sites, hot showers, floodlights for the main area....

I think you could also crack 450km on this track :)
yup... Quick back of the envelope numbers, I reckon getting the core costs sorted would be the kicker. Maybe we should chat more offline :)

Cheers
Gonz