Australian Solo MTB Champs - Easter 2010?

Optimus

Likes Bikes
I was just thinking about how they could run 2 separate loops at Telegraph point. I have a plan :)
it would definitely get my vote! but after chasing you round at the 12 hour earlier this year and seeing how you know lines around corners that almost don't exist, should we even bother turning up? :cool:

you could even run a pit zone similar to that of the 2008 worlds at Canmore (ie. 3 rows of tents on the field). have got a few other ideas if you needed them.

24 hour Nats

The MTBA bid document leaves it a lot more open for bidders. It would have been easy to let CORC do it again, but perhaps elsewhere in Aussie may be interested?
I believe that CORC were only going for 2010 and not 3 years. First to recognise the great work CORC do, just wish I lived closer to be able to utilise their good events easier.

Its a hard call to award 2010 only, when the airfares to the 24 Worlds will be very small. Good on MTBA seeing who else might want to have a go at it and also to allow a second track for teams to make it financially viable.

Now if I an organise a few local club members............................

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Related to CORC's Solo Easter Race, specifically Mr Course Designer -

For 2010 PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE use the same track as this year. It was the BEST 24 hour track.

Thank you.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
The Easter 24 is the best, I actually enjoyed the previous tracks to last years more, but I was crook last year anyway. The biggest problem, as our sailor friend has pointed out was CORC stumping up for airfares overseas. With so few riders the costs far outweigh the income. I have no doubt that CORC want to keep this race going, but can't subsidise the MTBA. This is the best 24hr in my book and I will race it again, even without a championship tag, and it should be remebered that it didn't start as the Aussie champs. Oh yes and 24hrs of Adrenalin organisers take note of the comments that solo riders like other solo riders for company, not 'whippets'.:cool:

Subsidise

What is subsidise the MTBA? How about some consideration for the 24 hour race going some where so that other Aussies have it close. Again CORC are fantastic bit I am considering all mountain bikers in Aust.
Looking at the bid MTBA have tried to lessen the costs?

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Subsidise means that CORC had to stump up the overseas airfares plus the prizes and pay for the venue etc. With less than a hundred riders paying $180, well you can do the maths. I'm quite happy for the Australian 24hr solo championships to go somewhere else, perhaps your club will host it. I will be very happy to continue racing at Easter here whether it is an Australian Championship or not, as previously it wasn't. :cool:

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
nothing on the MTBA website at time of posting
Be patient.

Extract from the MTBA guidelines for bid submission under Bid Confirmation:
"A decision on the successful bidder will be made on or before 1st December 2009. MTBA undertakes to notify all bidders, successful or unsuccessful, by email by 4th December 2009."
I'd suggest that the MTBA have until close of business today to advise all bidders. Therefore I would not expect any announcment until later today or possibly even Monday 7 December.

All this excitement about a little ride in the forest. ;)
Bear

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Way off topic given we are just waiting for the results, but who wants to see (before they die, cause it wont be soon) a Solo 24hr Nats @ Manly Dam! That would be soooo cool!

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Anyone got their email from MTBA yet? Someone has to know the suspense is killing me!
None of the contacts on the Canberra have been notified yet. I have sent an email to MTBA asking when they will announce it (and what the outcome is). The bid submitters were meant to be notified whether they were successful or not on 4 December in accordance with the bid documentation.

This text is from the MTBA Guidelines and Bid Details for the 2010 Australian Solo 24 Hour MTB Championship:

Bid Confirmation
A decision on the successful bidder will be made on or before 1st December 2009. MTBA undertakes to notify all bidders, successful or unsuccessful by email by 4th December 2009.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know who actually submitted a bid (I'm on leave and thus have nothing better to do than engage in rampant speculation...)

CORC we know about but anyone else? My assumption would be that Tailwind put something in (if you can bid for worlds then an aussie champs wouldn't be that hard) - of course if its in conjunction with the Qld 24 then thats probably too late (hard to do a 24 in late July then peak again for October... unless o course you're a Red Racer :) )

There probably aren't that many places where it would be financially viable to stage it is my guess - hard to make $$$ of solo only races... although this year not so much as theres no need for airfares and the prospect of qualifying for an aussie world champs will bring people out of the woodwork...

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Does anyone know who actually submitted a bid
I don't have any info on who else may have submitted a bid - and I have just emailed MTBA again, asking for an answer on the outcome.
There probably aren't that many places where it would be financially viable to stage it is my guess - hard to make $$$ of solo only races...
For 2010, the MTBA document did not specify a solo-only race as an absolute requirement (see the bid text):

Race Concurrency, Duration and Entry
The Australian Solo 24 Hour MTB Championship race must be conducted as a Solo-only race. The 24 hour Solo MTB Championships can be held in concert with a 24hr Teams competition but only if the Solo Championship’s course is completely separate from the Teams course except for the start and finish areas.

nor did it specify a minimum prize level (although the qualifying event conditions for the 2010 World Solo 24Hr Champs later made it have a minimum $1500 for the top male and female riders). So it could have been held at the same time as a teams event, as long as only the start/finish areas of the two courses were common. We decided not to do that for the CORC bid for Majura, as its not really big enough, and the Mont 24Hr (teams only) was on in the ACT only a week apart.

So, this ability to have teams, and also no massive prize money means that many events could be financially viable.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I don't have any info on who else may have submitted a bid - and I have just emailed MTBA again, asking for an answer on the outcome.

For 2010, the MTBA document did not specify a solo-only race as an absolute requirement (see the bid text):

Race Concurrency, Duration and Entry
The Australian Solo 24 Hour MTB Championship race must be conducted as a Solo-only race. The 24 hour Solo MTB Championships can be held in concert with a 24hr Teams competition but only if the Solo Championship’s course is completely separate from the Teams course except for the start and finish areas.

So, this ability to have teams, and also no massive prize money means that many events could be financially viable.
True but if you're going to hold it in conjunction with a teams race then you effectively need two tracks... that makes it a bit of an organisational challenge... CORC, Forrest and Hidden Valley are the only places that spring to mind which have enough variety (and land for that matter) to really run two races in one.

Also the extremely short timeframe for submission I think means that the only real options are an extension of an existing race (for teams) which pretty much would be Hidden Valley or a smaller race for solos only - CORC Easter, something small somewhere else... esp as it all needs to happen before July I think...

Oh well I guess we wait for the official answer (btw Easter at Majura works nicely for me :) Aussie Champs or no! :) )

btothec

Likes Dirt
I'm hanging on the outcome a little as well. Need to book annual leave it's a Easter and that needs to be done sooner rather than later.

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
I'm hanging on the outcome a little as well. Need to book annual leave it's a Easter and that needs to be done sooner rather than later.
Book your leave. Is easier to cancel a leave request than have it approved.

Oh... are we talking leave with the Chief Minister of Household Affairs and Treasurer or merely your employer? :D

Either way, good luck!

Bear - out.

Raf

Likes Dirt
Taking my submission to the Miinster mysefl this week :D, can someone tell me what days this is run? Easter is fairly broad.... and full of family duties....

Raf