Australian Solo MTB Champs - Easter 2010?

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never mind found this line in the prizes section "Single Speed riders are identified by “SS” after their surname. They must advise their Single Speed status at registration at the event"

Yay!!! i'm in, geared.

now to stock up on broccolli

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Can anyone enter this ride despite it being a national event?
Yes - there are no conditions for entry (other than you have to be 18 to ride solo in a 24 Hr).

Do well enough at Easter and we'll even let you enter the world Solo 24 Hr champs ;)

Le Matelot

Online Entries for 2010 Aussie Solo 24Hr Champs at Easter

Have had a few emails asking if entries are open - yes they are, and I see a few people on this thread have already entered.

But, in case you haven't entered or haven't found the link, here is the direct link to the entry system.

Raf

Likes Dirt
Im fairly certain I am unable to do the 24hr during the easter long weekend, due to 3 kids under 5 and a defecit in brownie points currently (Due to MTB).

I was considering entering though, treating it as a training ride for the worlds, and riding 9pm - 6am. Yes, I will still be stuffed on Easter Sunday, but not a dribbling mess, and the kids need not know I was ever gone.....:)

ANy thoughts on this idea?

Raf

Last edited:

Raf

Likes Dirt
Ahhhh.

Is that what 6+6 mean? 6pm to 6am?

Well then I would enter that I suppose.

Edited...... it appears the 6 + 6 is the Anti 6-6.....so back to being confused again....

Thanks
Raf

Cornik

Likes Bikes
Me too

The wifie has agree to me doing my first 24hr yeppe for me but have to leave early Sat moring and back Sun night due to too much MTB over the previous weeks and two kids asking 'why do you ride so much' - I can understand just doing the night run to try and keep all camps happy (does that really ever happen)

Anyway hope to see ya all there and thanks for the tips on the 24hr thread

Cor

Le Matelot

Is that what 6+6 mean? 6pm to 6am?
Not quite. The 6+6 category was originally introduced for riders aged 16 and 17 (because you can't do an MTBA solo 24hr until you are 18 in Australia). It allowed them to get the feel of endurance racing.

It was then expanded to allow older riders as well.

The plan is that the 6+6 categories start with the main field at 1200 Saturday. They then stop on their first lap which finishes after 6pm Saturday, then have the night off. Some go home, some stay at the race to converse with other mountain bikers and provide constructive criticism to the riders still on course :D

They start again on Sunday morning 12 hours later in a staggered start format. So, if you finished your last lap on Saturday at 18:10:45 then the starter would release you onto the course at 06:10:45 on Sunday morning. You then finish with the main field around 1200 Sunday.

If you wanted to use the race for some "training" then whether you are a solo 24 or a 6+6, you still need to start at 1200 Saturday. You could then take whatever rests you thought necessary throughout the race.

A bit of nostalgia ... In 2006, Rosie Barnes was in training for the UCI World MTB Marathon Championships and she did the Easter Solo 24Hr race. She rode for 100K on Saturday (about 6 hours), had the night off, then rode another 100K on Sunday morning. All up, she did 25 laps and came third overall against riders who rode for the full 24 hours. The Solo female winner only did 32 laps in twice the time that Rosie did 25! Even the winning Elite Male "only" did 47 laps.

Rosie went home with the 7 fastest female laps of the event, and I think she went on to come 23rd in the World Marathon Champs that year.

... it appears the 6 + 6 is the Anti 6-6.....so back to being confused again....
I think the 6 minus 6 category is for people like Red Racer who can start at 1200 Sunday, ride faster than the speed of light and finish at 1200 Saturday.

Last edited:

Raf

Likes Dirt
I am thinking it will be good training to keep my night riding up to scratch. I find it very hard to train at night due to lack of support and company.

Hmmmm , as long as people dont mind me only riding 1/2 the event, then I think I will approach the minister for fun and ask for permission.

Raf

ebuk

Likes Dirt
DO it.... It's the best race of the year and you'll get more out of this than trying to get into the Mont. But you should try and ask about doing the whole event. There is always other families there with young children.

rangie

Likes Dirt
DO it.... It's the best race of the year and you'll get more out of this than trying to get into the Mont. But you should try and ask about doing the whole event. There is always other families there with young children.
and the easter bunny might visit with the kids being able to partake in the egg hunt ? le merlot will provide details i'm sure :)

fun fun fun for all at easter !

Le Matelot

S24_001.jpg
and the easter bunny might visit with the kids being able to partake in the egg hunt ?
Yep. Mr E. Bunny has always made an appearance at this race with something for the whole family. Sometimes, even the riders get in to the act.

le merlot will provide details i'm sure :)
I see having the race next door to Majura Vineyards has spun off into my name :)

Last edited:

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
I find it very hard to train at night due to lack of support and company.
Raf
You must be joking!!!
There are a million people riding at night in Canberra every night, just hit the trails and you will find them.
Don't train then, just go riding instead, unless you are looking for that last 5% in performance to beat Red_Racer.

jab80

Likes Bikes
I can't believe I'm saying this but I was actually umming and ahhing over whether to do this one or not, and Mrs Jab is harassing me to do it because she had a ball last year when I did the 6+6(mostly thanks to the awesome folks at the Sydney Single Speed Society). To the guys with families trying to get 'time off', bring everyone, this race is awesome and the atmosphere is really family friendly. Can't wait to get back down there! Dreggsy was right: Best... race...ever! :D