Bad English

Status
Not open for further replies.

custard

Banned
Im seriously having a massive problem with the English on the boards around here, it's got so bad that sometimes when writing reports i even mess the words i've always known. (for example i almost wrote Writting instead of Writing)

I also do understand that sometimes some words gets written the wrong way, because it might be too hard to spell or speed typing. Then there is the topic of Punctuation, to me and to most i don't think it's a major problem as the Internet was never meant to be a source of Perfect English.

but have a look at this thread
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=77040

this guy has been a member since 2005.
this is only one i have picked up, but i assure to all of you there is heaps more.

to promote the use of proper english and the use of technology to help this situation. i have added some links to my signature.

I wish Johnny was here...this English is really terrible.
have a cry, this is a forum, as long as it is comprehensible with out too many grammatical, and punctuational errors, i see no problem with it, now go and sleep, you've had a hard exhausting day.

get that, NO errors. just for you:)

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i didn't see people flaming other people when they made referenced about using good english, no MSN/SMS talk

I do realize Firefox may be wrong, but I only said it because of what the original poster has in his signature
Alec McJo: the use of common sense is sometimes required you idiot.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Spelling is not what gets to me, because even though a word may be spelt wrong, you can generally understand what the person means. As proven here: http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=69886

What really gets to me is lack of punctuation, as demonstrated (to its worst extent IMO) by this guy.
http://forums.farkin.net/member.php?u=12826
This kind of shit is really freakin frustrating. It means the post has to be read multiple times before i can understand what the feck he's trying to say.

I think things like the above are what need to be moderated more heavily.

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why does it really matter aslong as people arent sp33link lyk d1z?

If you're not a monkey then you should be able to understand it.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Custard said:
have a cry, this is a forum, as long as it is comprehensible with out too many grammatical, and punctuational errors, i see no problem with it
Yeah, but the thing is it aint YOUR forum and it doesn't matter two empty nut-sacks whether or not YOU see a problem with it.

The bottom-line is spelled out pretty comprehensively below this. Like it or leave... simple really.

The biggest problem is not spelling or grammar or punctuation itself... because everyone makes mistakes and mistakes are OK. The biggest problem by far around here (with regards to this topic at least) is a total lack of effort by some people when they post.

And as far as I'm concerned, that lack of effort, care and manners in what they post just means they don't give a rat's arse... about the site, about the reader or basically about anything other than themselves.

So basically... no one is demanding perfection, but we would like a bit of effort. If nothing else it shows a bit of respect to the many thousands of people that read the post.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Have a cry, this is a forum. As long as it is comprehensible with out too many grammatical(deleted comma) and punctuational errors, I see no problem with it. Now go and sleep, you've had a hard, exhausting day.

Get that, NO errors. Just for you.:)
Bahahahahahah!

Please tell me you were taking the piss when you typed that.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
God damn, seriously.

How hard is it to download a software and press 1 button before you press "Submit" ???

To the people having a massive shit fight over this, consider yourself ingrate assholes. Because it's time you realised you live in a world where people with other styles and attitudes exist.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
All right ,enough e-fighting kids .You can all get an early night since you are all so cranky.
Go back to what Grip said.Its all about effort in posting .Effort implies respect for the reader and as a result the poster will get respect back .If you couldn't be bothered going to some degree of effort then get ready because here comes the banning stick.
Now off to bed with you...
cheers jon:D

S.

ex offender
God damn, seriously.

How hard is it to download a software and press 1 button before you press "Submit" ???

To the people having a massive shit fight over this, consider yourself ingrate assholes. Because it's time you realised you live in a world where people with other styles and attitudes exist.
hahaha what the fuck... I WON'T TOLERATE YOU NOT TOLERATING MY INTOLERANCE OMG.

tu plang

knob
God damn, seriously.

Are you joking? Your ride in on your high horse complaining about people's spelling and we are supposed to be grateful? To be honest Mo, the general history of your posts isn't exactly A1. For a laugh I had a read through the for sale thread you have in your signature and there are easily as many errors in it as the post you have used as an example.

As for that last sentence, you need to have a good look at yourself. You are arguing that everyone should conform to perfect spelling and utilise a spell checker as you have personally suggested, people arguing with you are simply suggesting that overall the spelling isn't that bad these days and for the most part you can follow most posts with ease. So maybe you need to realise you live in a world where people with other styles and attitudes exist.

You are a joke.

edit: hahah S. - said what I wanted to say in one line, thanks.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
so.. from this thread we can conclude that Mo is a hypocritical wanker, and that while there does need to be some improvement in the general language on the boards, its not really all that bad, and as long as you're not using msn language or typing illegably, all is ok.

The Paperboy

Likes Dirt
so.. from this thread we can conclude that Mo is a hypocritical wanker, and that while there does need to be some improvement in the general language on the boards, its not really all that bad, and as long as you're not using msn language or typing illegably, all is ok.
Agreed.

I don't find the grammar that bad at all. I just can't get my simple brain around TXT talk. I usually understand most posts and if in doubt I reread(re-read(not sure??)) the posts and can make some sense out of them.

tu plang

knob
Agreed.

I don't find the grammar that bad at all. I just can't get my simple brain around TXT talk. I usually understand most posts and if in doubt I reread(re-read(not sure??)) the posts and can make some sense out of them.
Grammar isn't a huge issue generally, but you'll occasionally get 500 word paragraphs made up of 5 setences.

Status
Not open for further replies.