STOLEN BALLARAT. Blue sb66 (Buninyong/Ballarat)

So the perpetrators have admitted to the theft? It is open and shut...off to gaol or juvey for both of them. This really is lazy police work.

Always lock the bike up. Always insure the bike.
How is it lazy police work? If the detective took this case to court now without making the proper follow up on the offenders story he would likely loose the matter.
I'm not sure how it is in other states but in Victoria there is actually a defence for theft. Crimes Act 1958 Sect 73(2) basically says that an appropriation of goods is not seen as dishonest if a person committing the theft believed he had a right in law to deprive another person of the property.
It's commonly used say for example when a mechanic holds onto a vehicle pending payment of repair work he had done to that vehicle.

Everyone knows their story is rubbish but cases have been lost recently because police are failing to investigate the version of events put forward by the offender. (This is despite there being overwhelming evidence in favour of the police case) It would not be difficult to establish if a scumbag 15 year old had previously owned a top of the line Yeti.

In saying all of this however he should still cop a charge, they realised later that the bike was not theirs and he admits to dumping it rather than taking it to a police station etc. By doing this in my opinion they have acted dishonestly and all the other points of proof for a theft are covered. (but obviously I don't know everything about the case.)

Sadly none of this helps you in getting your Yeti back Kingshill and unfortunately it's probably doing the rounds in the shitman underground as I type. Best of luck with the insurance hope it doesn't cause too much grief.

moorey

call me Mia
How is it lazy police work? If the detective took this case to court now without making the proper follow up on the offenders story he would likely loose the matter.
I'm not sure how it is in other states but in Victoria there is actually a defence for theft. Crimes Act 1958 Sect 73(2) basically says that an appropriation of goods is not seen as dishonest if a person committing the theft believed he had a right in law to deprive another person of the property.
It's commonly used say for example when a mechanic holds onto a vehicle pending payment of repair work he had done to that vehicle.

Everyone knows their story is rubbish but cases have been lost recently because police are failing to investigate the version of events put forward by the offender. (This is despite there being overwhelming evidence in favour of the police case) It would not be difficult to establish if a scumbag 15 year old had previously owned a top of the line Yeti.

In saying all of this however he should still cop a charge, they realised later that the bike was not theirs and he admits to dumping it rather than taking it to a police station etc. By doing this in my opinion they have acted dishonestly and all the other points of proof for a theft are covered. (but obviously I don't know everything about the case.)

Sadly none of this helps you in getting your Yeti back Kingshill and unfortunately it's probably doing the rounds in the shitman underground as I type. Best of luck with the insurance hope it doesn't cause too much grief.
I'm not saying the cops didn't do things by the book...(haven't read the book, personally), but I will say the book is fucked. At no point has the recovery of the bike ever seemingly been the concern. If Damo hadn't been specially insured (99/100 people wouldn't be covered in his situation) he wooda been bike less for a month and totally outta pocket for a replacement. The point, as far as I'm concerned, is that within 5 minutes of the theft, police knew the perp and where he lived, but didn't attempt to recover the bike for weeks....and still aren't.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
devil's advocate here... but people that leave their bikes (or any item for that matter) unsecured in a public place are craaaaazy! :shocked:

good to hear insurance is coming to the party though... must have been your lucky day (at least... after your unlucky day), as surely most PDS would say no cover for unsecured items.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
The point, as far as I'm concerned, is that within 5 minutes of the theft, police knew the perp and where he lived, but didn't attempt to recover the bike for weeks....and still aren't.
That's also the bit that shits me, of all the bikes on here that have been stolen, this should have been the bike that was promptly recovered, witnesses, photos... I suppose not enough revenue to be raised to make it worth the time.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Same, I don't get it either. I understand in most cases it would be nigh on impossible to trace stolen bikes, but in this case they had every opportunity to recover it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Ummm...looks like you answered your own question officer. Time for some celebratory donuts.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Not so simple, the detective has prove dishonesty on the part of the thief. So obviously he has put a story together that is hard to prove. They know how to work the system.

So I don't blame the cops, apart from the initial time lag in getting things going. It's just the system works in the scumbags favour.

Insurance is coming to the party. I have a pretty good policy that covers my contents wherever they are.

The downside to claiming in insurance is that you always pay in the end.
Glad insurance are coming to the party. New bike time! :third:

markgab

Likes Dirt
Not so simple, the detective has prove dishonesty on the part of the thief. So obviously he has put a story together that is hard to prove. They know how to work the system.

So I don't blame the cops, apart from the initial time lag in getting things going. It's just the system works in the scumbags favour.

Insurance is coming to the party. I have a pretty good policy that covers my contents wherever they are.

The downside to claiming in insurance is that you always pay in the end.
Man if i were the law lol XD
I'd lock both the dad and son up for good *let em rot in hell :third:
Scums to the society!

Feels your pain, had my bike stolen before.
Homes and content insurance paid off :)
After the incident, i learnt my lesson and installed security systems.