Banshee Paradox V3

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For a while I'd been using the wheels off my Optic on this while I waited for my Nextie's to arrive. They eventually turned up last Friday so I set them up with a 2.35 soft Magic Mary up front and a 2.35 Force AM out the back. I had to convert the Hope hubs to microspline which was educational, I've run DT's on everything for the last 10 years so I was shocked that I actually needed tools (which I didn't have). The lack of a seal driver tool wasn't going to ruin new (sort of) bike day so I used a bit of plumbing pipe and a medium sized persuader and installed it without too much trouble.
I took it for another longish ride on Saturday from my place to Errol's loop near Yarra Glen and back via Smiths Gully it's about 60km and 1400m of climbing I think and riding a hard tail again feels like cheating. Nextie wheels are good, no issues and although a bit heavier than my LB wheels of the same dimensions there's no real difference between them that I can notice.
I'm not a massive fan of the Force AM out the back as a tyre, it seems to have almost zero braking traction but I need to muck around with pressures a bit more to see if I can find the sweet spot. I'm not sure if it's because I have a total lack of ability (likely), that I'm spoiled because although my Optic doesn't pedal that well the rear grip is outstanding even with a Minion SS or it's a actually a just not a great tyre. It also doesn't have as large a 'bag' on the tyre as I'd like for a hard tail.
The Pike Ultimate on this bike has the new 2021 air spring in it and I have to say, I prefer the 2020 on my Optic, it's like butter but this one is just not quite right. I'm running 8 psi less pressure but it just doesn't have that magic carpet feel, but it's only got 150km on it so I suppose it could need a break in period. I can only assume it's got fully lubed lowers because the fork got fitted with the new air spring at Cyclinic before they shipped them to me, you'd hope they lubed them up.....
I'm a card carrying member of the Shimano Haters group, I've had most of their XTR groups over the last 10 years and they've always lagged behind the Sram stuff for me with vague shifts and a lack of 'feel' in the lever. But how good is the new 12 speed! I'm totally converted, best group I've ever ridden and there's no difference between XT (Banshee) and XTR (Optic) in shift quality and it's only the nicer feel of the XTR lever that sets them apart. My only complaint with it is that when it's muddy and shitty they are very sensitive to a dirty chain. I even fitted an SLX 12 speed mech to my sons 11 speed bike it's shit loads better than the GX POS that came off it.
Looks like I'll have a quiet day at the office with the new lock down rules so I'll grab some pics this arvo with the new wheels.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The Force AM is a fun tyre in 27.5 x 2.8" on a hardtail. It is quite slidy but predictable and the bigger volume gives it enough grip not to be dangerous. I can definitely believe it would be pretty sketchy in a 2.35 for all mountain riding though.

If you're after a bit more grip but without going OTT, maybe try an Aggressor or Wild AM? The Wild AM is very similar in terms of grip/slide/rolling behaviour, but the casing felt "snappier" which I didn't like (ie: if you just clip the edge of a root or rock it audibly snaps back, and that was with a 2.6"). If you're looking to keep a slightly lighter rotating weight, the Maxxis Rekon Race is a (oft-overlooked) good performer. Touch more grip than the Force, without getting into the slower rolling trail/all mountain category.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running Bontrager XR4 2.6 and 2.4 front rear on the Paradox and they're great for grip / braking traction..

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running Bontrager XR4 2.6 and 2.4 front rear on the Paradox and they're great for grip / braking traction..
I'd read they were a good option, I'll see what the weights are like. Is the 2.4 a big bag?

The Force AM is a fun tyre in 27.5 x 2.8" on a hardtail. It is quite slidy but predictable and the bigger volume gives it enough grip not to be dangerous. I can definitely believe it would be pretty sketchy in a 2.35 for all mountain riding though.

If you're after a bit more grip but without going OTT, maybe try an Aggressor or Wild AM? The Wild AM is very similar in terms of grip/slide/rolling behaviour, but the casing felt "snappier" which I didn't like (ie: if you just clip the edge of a root or rock it audibly snaps back, and that was with a 2.6"). If you're looking to keep a slightly lighter rotating weight, the Maxxis Rekon Race is a (oft-overlooked) good performer. Touch more grip than the Force, without getting into the slower rolling trail/all mountain category.
Rekon Race could be a good option, big bag and pretty light

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd read they were a good option, I'll see what the weights are like. Is the 2.4 a big bag?

Rekon Race could be a good option, big bag and pretty light
They tend to blow up larger than most I find. 2.6 feels mighty impressive up front. 2.4 is also more than stout enough. I'd not run 2.6 on the rear as it feels like a tractor tyre.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bontragers in 2.6 and 2.4 fitted, hope the 2.6 stretches a little I was hoping for something a bit larger.
I'm fucked if I can get the collar off the Manic seat post to lube it, strap wrenches of various designs have not been successful. I'd usually use a bit of heat but I don't want to melt the seal.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bontragers in 2.6 and 2.4 fitted, hope the 2.6 stretches a little I was hoping for something a bit larger.
I'm fucked if I can get the collar off the Manic seat post to lube it, strap wrenches of various designs have not been successful. I'd usually use a bit of heat but I don't want to melt the seal.
What ID rims are you using? Mine are 30mm and the 2.6" Bontrager XR4 comes up at that measurement using my trusty tape measure. :^)

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine are 30mm too, I think I was just hoping for a ridiculously wide tyre with 2.6 but it's really not much bigger than a Magic Mary in 2.35 not surprising since the difference is only 6mm but in my mind it's a big step from 2.35 to 2.6. My son runs Michelin's in 2.8 and they look like they should be on a motorbike, I was secretly hoping that the 2.6 would be like that, but wishful thinking.
In other news I installed the ghetto cushcore (K-Flex) in the rear and it was pretty simple, will test ride tonight.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Mine are 30mm too, I think I was just hoping for a ridiculously wide tyre with 2.6 but it's really not much bigger than a Magic Mary in 2.35 not surprising since the difference is only 6mm but in my mind it's a big step from 2.35 to 2.6. My son runs Michelin's in 2.8 and they look like they should be on a motorbike, I was secretly hoping that the 2.6 would be like that, but wishful thinking.
In other news I installed the ghetto cushcore (K-Flex) in the rear and it was pretty simple, will test ride tonight.
I did the k-flex on the Honzo a few weeks ago and it's made a big difference. Able to run lower pressure and even though I have felt the rim touch a couple of times there hasn't been and damage (it's probably about 14psi)

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did the k-flex on the Honzo a few weeks ago and it's made a big difference. Able to run lower pressure and even though I have felt the rim touch a couple of times there hasn't been and damage (it's probably about 14psi)
I'm not brave enough to run a carbon rim down at 14psi, I'll probably go for 18 and see what happens. Traction and compliance must be great at 14!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'm not brave enough to run a carbon rim down at 14psi, I'll probably go for 18 and see what happens. Traction and compliance must be great at 14!
Yeah I started at 18 and it was good and it has slowly leaked to 14 which feels even better, probably should pump it back up. It feels great with the low pressure and has made rocky descents much more fun, it helps I have a new replacement rim in the garage for when I destroy this one.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Weather is shit, cbf riding but I did take some pictures
so where the bloody hell r they? i liked he force am i had setup as s]rear, 27.5x2.25 measured closer to 2.35 though—i thought it rolled well & i liked it didn’t lock up, slid around a bit more..i prefer it to the min SS 2.3 on the ht now

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a comparison my Minion Ss 2.35 is 62mm and Hans Dampf 2.35 is 63mm.
40 psi overnight for the bontragers to stretch em!
I'll see if I can upload pics from my phone

Scotty675

Cable thief
Regard tyre width you will find schwalbe tyre run a little wider. I did a test once. 30mm rims for each, 25psi in all. Maxis 2.4 61mm, schwalbe nn 2.35 63mm, schwalbe dh 2.6 66mm. Not familiar with other brands as ive run schwalbe tyre for years. Bike looks good.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been riding my Optic more lately while trying to sort a few issues so the Paradox has been gathering dust in the corner while I wait for some brake pads to arrive. The Saint metal pads were ok but I was never 100% happy with them so after a recommendation on here for the Uber bike race matrix pads I ordered a couple of sets to see what the fuss was about. I'm a bit of a brake pad whore and have run heaps of different manufacturers and compounds but I'm very very impressed with the race matrix pads.
I took the Paradox for a quick hack down to Hans and back, I forgot what a great bike it is. It just makes you want to ride like a dickhead pumping and jumping off even the most insignificant trail features.