Bargain buys thread

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Lol. My thoughts too! Sounds good when you say $3000 off until you see the initial price....
And peeps still try and tell you there's no money in bikes....

How is it that a brand new KTM 350 SX-F motocross bike costs less than $8.5K, yet a new enduro MTB in many cases is significantly more?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Economy of scale
I would argue monopolistic markets. Sram and shimano having full gear and brake duopoloy. And then maybe rockshox and fox for forks. It's interesting because with the way things are going, bike companies are trending towards basically full proprietory bikes (no swappable parts). This is what the moto industry has - but it seems that this actually diffuses the monopoly and hence the consumer gets cheaper pices. This is even more insane when you consider the companies need to actually carry stock of the whole parts bin which costs more - the bicycle manufacturer only needs to stock the frame and maybe some connection hardware. Worst case they just give you the current model frame.

clockworked

Like an orange
Economy of scale
I used to think that about 12 years ago. In australia it felt like it was expensive because hardly anyone did it. Now it feels like its still uncommon, but at least twice as big as it used to be. Over that time period it would seem reasonable that the prices would adjust downwards to reflect the increase in popularity, but it just hasnt. The bikes have improved, no doubt, but it seems more and more expensive every year.

I love bikes, they are my number 1 favourite pastime, but there's no way i would personally pay 10k for a bike. That seems insane even to me. ...and it feeds this ridiculous increase in participation cost!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I used to think that about 12 years ago. In australia it felt like it was expensive because hardly anyone did it. Now it feels like its still uncommon, but at least twice as big as it used to be. Over that time period it would seem reasonable that the prices would adjust downwards to reflect the increase in popularity, but it just hasnt. The bikes have improved, no doubt, but it seems more and more expensive every year.

I love bikes, they are my number 1 favourite pastime, but there's no way i would personally pay 10k for a bike. That seems insane even to me. ...and it feeds this ridiculous increase in participation cost!
I'm still amazed though with how much disposable income people have to spend on top end bikes though. There's an endless stream of new bikes on FB that are " The best bike I've ever owned" with 500km on them that the owner has "upgraded" from....

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm still amazed though with how much disposable income people have to spend on top end bikes though. There's an endless stream of new bikes on FB that are " The best bike I've ever owned" with 500km on them that the owner has "upgraded" from....
It's cheaper than cocaine/gambling/boats etc etc. It also has the added benefit of exercise.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

DMan

It's cheaper than cocaine/gambling/boats etc etc. It also has the added benefit of exercise.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Not the way you spend it isn't.....:p
You don't drop 6K on a bike to ride it anyway. Not at 500km in 6mths you don't......

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Probably the majority of those sellers paid something like wholesale for them & want to flip for the new shiny thing.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Yeah and the catch is I still can't afford a lot of them second hand!

I know of a few bike shop folks who basically supplement their income on bike flipping. Wholesale bike prices are nuts if you ever get to see them you will be surprised.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've only ever bought one current model bike and that was 20 years ago, runout models are far better value but I suppose if you had the surplus cash it wouldn't matter to you. .

There's an interesting mini Doco on pinkbike about buying bikes from Taiwan.

DMan

Yeah and the catch is I still can't afford a lot of them second hand!

I know of a few bike shop folks who basically supplement their income on bike flipping. Wholesale bike prices are nuts if you ever get to see them you will be surprised.
Yep. I have a mate who gets wholesale. You can see why bike shop employees have such nice rides....

DMan

I've only ever bought one current model bike and that was 20 years ago, runout models are far better value but I suppose if you had the surplus cash it wouldn't matter to you. .

There's an interesting mini Doco on pinkbike about buying bikes from Taiwan.

I guess, but I still like to feel I'm at least somewhat upto being able to use the bike I'm riding. My Reign has still got a lot more in that than I'm presently using. Constant upgrading for the sake of it doesn't impress me.