Bargain buys thread

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Speaking of which, I rode my mate's Specialized Stumpjumper (L) and it had a 150mm dropper, it let me lean into the corners and I thought it felt fine.

With that in mind and hearing that longer droppers are less durable than shorter, I'm thinking of buying a 150mm dropper instead. As someone that's never had one before, do you think I'm making a terrible mistake?
150 dropper can be fine until you ride a bike with a longer one and then it's not.

At your height I wouldn't consider anything less than 180.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I'm 6'5 using a 150mm dropper and it's fine but if I were to get a new one it would be longer for sure. You might as well have the seat completely out of the way if you can.

moorey

call me Mia
Also, some frames limit insertion. A 150 on my tranny leaves about 30mm of mast I can’t insert due to bend. That makes 150 my limit when fully raised.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep, longer the better. Gives a lot more freedom to move around the bike and soak up impact with your legs.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Longer for sure. I'm 187cm and whilst a 150 works, the 210 OneUp is way better in that I can get the seat out of the way when leaning/jumping etc. Next post I buy will be 200+ if possible.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Do you find the dropping part to be annoying? It was weird having to sit and drop every time I approached corners and drops.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you find the dropping part to be annoying? It was weird having to sit and drop every time I approached corners and drops.
You will get used to it to the point you will not even realise you're doing it.
Don't have to always drop all the way either. If not a full on descent but still has corners you can drop halfway to allow seated pedalling without having to adjust for every corner. But having the larger drop will make a huge difference when you do head into steeper trails.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You get used to it pretty quickly. If you have enough gravity on your side you can often get away with seat up on the climbs, down on descents.

Undulating trails get a bit more of a dropper workout, and working out when to use the dropper and when not to will only come with practice.

PJO

in me vL comy
My missus is 165cm and I recently upgraded her from 125mm to a 150mm dropper. I have dropper envy because I only have 150mm dropper but I'm 181cm, which has been fine but now I want more!