BBQ's - Whats the low down - cookers and recipes!!!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Right,

Being a non-native ozzie, i would consider myself a bit green on the in's and out's of BBQ's!
I have a little Weber BabyQ at the minute, which is fine for myself and the mrs, but we have family coming over for Xmas and fancy a bigger one!

Dont really know what to be looking for in a BBQ, some cheapies (ie $300) at Bunnings compared to a $1500 Webers........

Anyone got any reccommendations for a gas BBQ? Looking for something about 1.5m wide, so prob a 4 burner!

scblack

Leucocholic
Basically I'd say get as big a one as you can afford. But don't spend over $1,000 at all, thats nuts I think. Check out BBQ's Galore - they have heaps of them and about $500 will get a very good sized one. If you can get mains gas - do it, I have a mains gas BBQ and its so convenient, but I guess its less mobile - thats your trade-off.

One of the best things I had on my last BBQ was a layer under the open grilled section, with ceramic blocks. The ceramic blocks held heaps of heat, but most especially, the fats splashed on the blocks and smoked beautifully giving nice flavours to everything. Loved that.

And make sure it has a good hood which you can cook in, that can do chooks and roasts etc.

willsy01

Eats Squid
As skeptical as I was that any BBQ could be worth what the Weber Q costs, I am now a convert.

They are fabulous.
I have a big fancy lookin' Bunnings spec thing with stainless plate/grille and shit.......then I inherited my grandparents BabyQ. I haven't lit the Bunnings thing in months.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My bodgey dad just buys a cheap ALDI one every couple of years, it goes alright given how cheap they are.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I bought myself a 4 burner Gasmate stainless steel with hood and could not be happier with it. You should consider getting the BBQ converted to natural gas if you have mains supply. All up mine cost $1,200 ($1,000 for BBQ and $200 for NG conversion) and I use it 3 times per week on average. I would never go back to LPG for a BBQ now, 24/7 BBQ's and endless source of gas.

Capone

Likes Dirt
As skeptical as I was that any BBQ could be worth what the Weber Q costs, I am now a convert.

They are fabulous.

I have a Weber genesis its fantastic. 3 burner with a sear station. Not cheap but Weber install it at your house as part of the deal. Happy with that as it comes in a million parts

MasterOfReality

After forever
I have a Beefmaster 4 burner thing I bought years ago at bbq galore. Around $600 or so.

Not the greatest, heap of shit is made in China so the quality is not there. Main gripe is uneven cooking on the cast iron plates. Feels like its going to fall apart when I wheel it from where is lives at the side of the house. There was a definate quality difference between this one and the upper end models that cost a shit load.

But I suppose its ok for the price. Does the job.

The missus won a weber bbq a few years back that we gave to my sister. We fired it up a few months ago and yeah, its pretty good. Just need the patience to wait for it to come up to temp.

$1,000 bbq ???? no wonder you blokes don't blink at the price of new bikes

having someone install a bbq for you ??? do you also get someone to service the missus for ya aswell and watch the video later ??

sheesh

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
$1,000 bbq ???? no wonder you blokes don't blink at the price of new bikes

having someone install a bbq for you ??? do you also get someone to service the missus for ya aswell and watch the video later ??

sheesh
Money well spent and for the record I put mine together. My oven/stove in the kitchen cost me $3k which I use about once a week, so $1k for a BBQ I use on average three times a week isn't that bad at all.

The cheap BBQ's will only have steel / stainless stell burners which rust, you get what you pay for.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Money well spent and for the record I put mine together. My oven/stove in the kitchen cost me $3k which I use about once a week, so $1k for a BBQ I use on average three times a week isn't that bad at all.

The cheap BBQ's will only have steel / stainless stell burners which rust, you get what you pay for.
What type of burners/grill should I be looking for?
Stainless?
Cast Iron?

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
What type of burners/grill should I be looking for?
Stainless?
Cast Iron?
Burners / grill you want vitreous enamel coated or ceramic coated cast iron, I think the ceramic are the more expensive ones.

The other thing is to clean the BBQ and keep it covered when not in use, this will prolong the life. Can emphasise enough to get it on natural gas if you can.

I have a $400 kmart bbq that I purchased when I purchased my house 14 years ago.

I burn animals on it on a regular basis and its fine

don't even clean it either, the key to a good bbq feed is that it absorbs a bit of all of the bbq feeds before it

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I have a $400 kmart bbq that I purchased when I purchased my house 14 years ago.

I burn animals on it on a regular basis and its fine

don't even clean it either, the key to a good bbq feed is that it absorbs a bit of all of the bbq feeds before it
Haha. I'll qualify my definition of cleaning = the outside and underneath of hood etc, hotplate and grill only get a scraping and yes prior BBQ's contribute to flavour.