Be carefull, steel jump @ Oxford

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see your point, and it's pretty obvious that there's two equal sides to this coin.

But really.. you have to admit that it's easier to seriously injure yourself on a gap such as this, compared to a small speed bump.
so thats a reason to pull it down? yay lets just ban all doubles because theres a gap you can get hurt if you do it wrong on!

our sport is dangerous and i dont think many people see that for some stupid reason

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok guys the pain killers have worn off a little so I can add to this now before my next dosage and visit Alice in Wonderland again...

Firstly thank you for all the support and well wishes. It has been a bit overwhelming but a very pleasant surprise

I wasnt intending on riding on Sun but got off from a seminar earlier than I thought so with daylight savings and all, I thought i would get a quick ride in...

I was riding well hitting all the usual stuff like the road gap, metal kicker and even gave the new creek gap a go. everything felt really good , hit the big vegie drop a few times and took a few run ins to the new 747 and all felt good to go.

I watched Anderson hit it a few times (he did land at the very bottom of the lander a couple of times, had us holding our breaths :eek:) then I hit it up. I never ever thought that I would totally overclear the landing as clearing the gap was my first priority. Well I was wrong. I remember because the lander was so steep, in the air I was trying to nose the front wheel down so both wheels land at the same time. Then there was that moment when I realised that I had gone past the lander.

I dont blame anyone else but myself. I made the decision to hit it and I paid the consequences for misjusdging it.

The new stunts are well built and its great that some old lines have been brought back to life

I think this just confirms that the builders and maintainers (both old and new)of Oxy need to plan together more and I do agree that some things need to be built with a little more margin for error

anyway looking forward to recovering and riding with you all soon...

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Glad to hear you're getting better, although you must still be in bad shape :(

My friend Bishi stopped on a ride today by catching a tree with his throat, he easily could have died and is in a lot of pain. It is terrible how accidents never happen when you expect it. Its a section of berms and he's done them with great skill and speed maybe 100 times. Anyone, anywhere, doing any thing can have heavy accidents. You are a good bloke for not being angry at the builders.

All the best for your recovery Chuckie and I hope it's a fast recovery.

Dvd

Squid
maybe not enough accustomed (to BIG gaps). I wrote here once: I have mate he didn't rode his bike 2 months, he did few warming up runs, observed very carefully that jump (again very carefully), mentioned speed, did few jumps and in final showed us really nice nohander over it. This guy is for me measure skilled rider. He said its well built jump for big air and tricks.
Are you saying that you and or your mate have never crashed before? Far as i know the best riders in the world have crashed harder than anyone.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
Are you saying that you and or your mate have never crashed before? Far as i know the best riders in the world have crashed harder than anyone.
Before you write something like that, read my previous messages (please) :rolleyes:

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Whether this is the right place to put this I am not sure but I'll post anyway.

I went out there today with a mate for a couple runs and my god. The place is awesome these days!

Well done to the builders, I've had one of the best days riding today.

Dvd

Squid
Why's that if you don't mind me asking?

There has been alot of hardwork put into it, surely if people are worried about it you could just modify it or make a new/safer kicker.

Chris
I agree it would be ashame to tear down the jump entirely. Maybe a smaller kicker to the side or to replace the big one to ease peoples concerns but i think to remove entirely could jeopodise one of the better lines ever built at oxford.
props to the builders

hidesy

Likes Dirt
yep just did and nothing you have posted seems to make much sense at all.
give him a break English is his second language.

i disagree that it should have to be pulled down, if the jump is to long and hard for you, just don't do it, as previously mentioned this particular line has been abandoned until now. so who's it disadvantaging bringing a new line back to life? if you don't like it simply just avoid that run as you would have been doing since its destruction last time.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
Jump has been decommissioned and will be removed from site next weekend.
For those that didn't get to hit it or see anyone hitting it please check out the photos on Phat Snaps. http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=146617
Cheers
Those photos are just confirmation stage where is it now..... looking at those photos again and I hope there will be nobody who would like to try from that kicker 90degree transfer to landing platform. :)

Attachments

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt
I don't think that it should be ripped out either.

If you don't like it don't hit it, if you hit it take responsibility for your actions (you already have chuckie). Give yourself a pat on the back if you make it, give yourself an uppercut if you don't because you've stuffed up and an uppercut would be the least of your problems.

Hey DVD a bit of common sense would go a long way, it's not hard to tell that english isn't his first language. I don't know where you got the idea that he said that he/his mate has never crashed before?? Take a breath and understand that he's not doing it to annoy you.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Why's that if you don't mind me asking?

There has been alot of hardwork put into it, surely if people are worried about it you could just modify it or make a new/safer kicker.

Chris
Main problem is legal liability.
Lets face it, anyone who builds a jump (no matter how big or small) runs the risk of being sued. However as most jumps are built by a number of often unknown people (trail fairies) and subsequently added onto by others in a fairly organic fashion there isn’t a clear & direct line of responsibility for someone to sue.
Thanks to this tread and the general interest in the jump most of the builders have been fairly clearly identified putting them at risk.
Also thanks to this thread the builders have received a very strong and clear warning from their fellow MTB peers that if ignored would be further proof of negligence.
The fact that most of the warnings have been completely ill informed wouldn’t matter in a court of law and we now have a situation that if someone walks past the jump & stubs their toe it will be a case of “I told you so”.
For those interested in the “real” facts about the jump as opposed to the emotional responses that have been posed I would offer the following comparison to the other steel jump after the ladder drop that hasn’t seen any of the same publicity.
Jump after ladder drop V New 747 jump
Kicker angle: 30 degree V 26 degree
Lander angle: 30 degree V 30 degree
Jump horizontal distance: 6 metres V 6 metres
Lander length: 4.1 metres V 4.6 metres
Vertical distance tip of kicker lander base (over shoot fall distance): 2.8 meters (approx) V 4 metres (approx)
Gap?: no V yes

As you can see from the above there isn’t a whole lot of difference between the two jumps other than a scary looking gap & a bit more height. Filling in the gap may make it a bit safer but also encourage a lot more people who shouldn’t really be hitting it to have a go. This would also be a significant cost in both time & money and still not address the legal liability issue.
There is no one more disappointed than the builders that the steel work has to be removed as there has been a lot of time a money invested in what was intended to be a great asset for the freeride community.
Anyone who enjoys riding freeride would understand the risk calculations that have to be done before hitting (or deciding not to hit) a new stunt so they can live to ride another day and I hope would appreciate that the risk analysis on the steel structures is now saying to cut our losses before we get owned by the things.
Cheers

Last edited:

Dvd

Squid
I don't think that it should be ripped out either.

If you don't like it don't hit it, if you hit it take responsibility for your actions (you already have chuckie). Give yourself a pat on the back if you make it, give yourself an uppercut if you don't because you've stuffed up and an uppercut would be the least of your problems.

Hey DVD a bit of common sense would go a long way, it's not hard to tell that english isn't his first language. I don't know where you got the idea that he said that he/his mate has never crashed before?? Take a breath and understand that he's not doing it to annoy you.
Just a little respect to the other riders who also over shot this one and ended up in hospital?

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Lets face it, anyone who builds a jump (no matter how big or small) runs the risk of being sued. However as most jumps are built by a number of often unknown people (trail fairies) and subsequently added onto by others in a fairly organic fashion there isn’t a clear & direct line of responsibility for someone to sue.
Thanks to this tread and the general interest in the jump most of the builders have been fairly clearly identified putting them at risk.
Also thanks to this thread the builders have received a very strong and clear warning from their fellow MTB peers that if ignored would be further proof of negligence.
The fact that most of the warnings have been completely ill informed wouldn’t matter in a court of law and we now have a situation that if someone walks past the jump & stubs their toe it will be a case of “I told you so”.
For those interested in the “real” facts about the jump as opposed to the emotional responses that have been posed I would offer the following comparison to the other steel jump after the ladder drop that hasn’t seen any of the same publicity.
Vertical distance tip of kicker lander base (over shoot fall distance): 2.8 meters (approx) V 4 metres (approx)

As you can see from the above there isn’t a whole lot of difference between the two jumps other than a scary looking gap & a bit more height. Filling in the gap may make it a bit safer but also encourage a lot more people who shouldn’t really be hitting it to have a go. This would also be a significant cost in both time & money and still not address the legal liability issue.
There is no one more disappointed than the builders that the steel work has to be removed as there has been a lot of time a money invested in what was intended to be a great asset for the freeride community.
Anyone who enjoys riding freeride would understand the risk calculations that have to be done before hitting (or deciding not to hit) a new stunt so they can live to ride another day and I hope would appreciate that the risk analysis on the steel structures is now saying to cut our losses before we get owned by the things.
Cheers
Well i guess this whole tread is about the risks of mountain biking and how difficult it is to get things perfect when you build jumps. If I try to take some positives from the whole thing i would take these:

1. be careful about how i go about hitting up new jumps for the first time
2. try to build jumps that give as much margin for area as possible

I personally think that the guys that built it have been doing a great job lately with the jump in the middle section (near temple of doom) one of my favourites (if it is the same people?), and i think that heaps of people hit this up with great enjoyment. OK so the next one that they built didnt work out, that is a real pity, i wish it had been another good jump. To me that shows how difficult it is to get it exactly right.

Also, i would like to say this. Previously i nearly injuried myself on a jump that had been removed/damaged as i am sure others have. So when i saw the new stuff i thought to myself "that looks great because it is going to be difficult to be removed or fcked around with, good on those guys for making it strong!".

Suggestions moving forward..

Can somebody senior on farkin point a link from this tread to info on how to build freeride style jumps and what the safe angles etc are???...that way we can cut the BS about good & bad jumps.
Cheers

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Suggestions moving forward..

Can somebody senior on farkin point a link from this tread to info on how to build freeride style jumps and what the safe angles etc are???...that way we can cut the BS about good & bad jumps.
Cheers
I am neither senior farkin dude, nor an expert on freeride stuff, but I do know that the whistler trail standards exist.

http://www.whistler.ca/images/stori...g_Committee/trail_standards_first_edition.pdf

However, I don't think that they cover angles. The ydo cover lots of other stuff on building shore features.

stickso

Likes Dirt

Cheers
I thought the main issue was the timing of the jump being installed when negotiations are going on with the locals?

Lukas

Likes Dirt
Cheers
Definition for freeride jump doesn't exist :) You are funny. Jump is jump. It is about how you shape it. It its about radius, angle of lip and how long is it (bucle or not) acording that you just fly over or turn backflip. that is simple maths.

I still think we build it up good jump... ;) and somebody gave it good nick: 747 (nice one).

I just started scouting where will be best spot for roadgap over the shuttle road (from Oxford Falls site to Lizzy). Can I have approval from you guys?